The Consoles Are Holding Back The GTA Series From Supremacy

Should There Be Separate Console & PC Incarnations Of Games In The GTA Series?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Should There Be Separate Console & PC Incarnations Of Games In The GTA Series?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

okay , even better! 256 vs. 16 , free (exept internet costs) vs. monthly fee+internet costs

I would pick the first one :D Anyways , I just booted up my old Nintendo 64 with Goldeneye :D and it was a hell of a lot more fun then anything ive seen before. THis was actualy the first time I ever touched my N64. Why dont they make more games like Goldeneye?

yeah , and XBOX Live! only supports up to 16 players . And the current PC Games support up to 128 players.

What? Where did you get that figure from?

I would pick the first one Anyways , I just booted up my old Nintendo 64 with Goldeneye and it was a hell of a lot more fun then anything ive seen before. THis was actualy the first time I ever touched my N64. Why dont they make more games like Goldeneye?

Half-Life 2 (apparently), Deus Ex - the list goes on.

GTA originated on PlayStation (Grand Theft Auto 1) and should stay on PlaySation(2). If it were for the PC it would still not have multiplayer because the heads of the GTA team say they have not even begun to think of multiplayer GTA - single player is their only focus right now. Also, the graphics for San Andreas are pretty good, I'd say, considering every car has shadows and reflections as well as everything else in the game with real shadows. Plus there are tons of new lighting and weather effects being implemented as well as higher quality textures - all of this on a dual-layer DVD? No PC game to date has been the size of two DVD's, yet San Andreas is.

• 4 weeks later...

As being both a console and PC gamer I should be able to clear things up for you.

First...

GTA 1 was for PC... its was excellent

GTA 2 was also for PC... its was... alright :)

Both were ported to console as after thoughts.

the engine used in GTA (renderware?) was originally designed for PS2 plain and simple. Porting an engine is no small task. Especially when it probly means contracting a port out to the developer of the engine. That is likely why we did not see GTA3 for PC much sooner. As GTA3/4/5 have all been based on this same engine the minor engine adjustments (mostly gameplay issues) can be changed and recompiled reletivly easily.

Are the consoles holding back the GTA series in the gfx department... absolutly.

Its ps2 exclusive... why not code a engine specific to ps3/xbox/pc rather than waste time coding ANOTHER ps2 engine (although it may look nicer for xbox/pc folk)

From a financial standpoint they are guaranteed to rake in the cash with this title. Why fuck with a good thing?

As PC being better in thoes specific ways... as I said all your graphical improvments would likely require major engine changes or a rewrite. As for missions being different and switches and such... again... thoes are major engine changes... the game in not interactive. Besides misc objects that can move or can be destroyed... all events are controled by the 'pink' circles. or some sort of 'area' / 'player' trigger. Thats the way the game is... and its a fundimental part of the game.

As far as GTA5 : SA I've been playing it for a while now. I believe they did gear this title towards xbox/pc much more. The ps2 has no AA and such a low resolution and view distance, it really can be annoying. The game play is very very solid though. I cant wait to see some of the lighting and scenery in high-res on pc. The xbox title should be very solid as well. (Plus this this map is huge... )

Now the advantage of GTA5 being on the same engine? Perhaps MTA will be able to encorparate this new engine into their software. The engine has many new vehicles and features. BMX bikes, big-rigs with trailers,a Map to die for, and other shit too. (can you say akimbo?)

Bottom line is though it may not push PCs to their full potential... Xbox and PS2s are in more gamers homes than powerful pc's. Its a finincial thing and its a mixed blessing for us.

Enjoy what you have... I would suggest the next GTA to be on a new engine and, for gos sake, hopefully they include multiplayer.

• 3 weeks later...

I reckon that Sony shouldn't get the next exclusivity contract and it should be X-Box because its so much more powerful than the PS2 and would have a positive effect on the pc version, I'm not saying that there shouldn't be a PS2 version, just that PS2 owners should wait for a year for a conversion instead of xbox & pc owners.

I reckon that Sony shouldn't get the next exclusivity contract and it should be X-Box because its so much more powerful than the PS2 and would have a positive effect on the pc version, I'm not saying that there shouldn't be a PS2 version, just that PS2 owners should wait for a year for a conversion instead of xbox & pc owners.

If they did sign another one, it would probably be for the Xbox 2 or PS3. I don't think they should have exclusivity contracts at all, personally, and I don't think there's such a thing as an exclusivity contract for the PC.