The Consoles Are Holding Back The GTA Series From Supremacy

Should There Be Separate Console & PC Incarnations Of Games In The GTA Series?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Should There Be Separate Console & PC Incarnations Of Games In The GTA Series?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure

I saw a trailer for GTA:SA on Gamer TV on Bravo channel today and what can I say? Gameplay looks great but graphics suck, so many sharp irregular edges, then again what can you expect from a ps2? I think its terrible how the GTA series is being prevented from using the all latest gaming technnologies all because of the ps2 and its stinking 4-5 year old hardware, I think that its unfair on pc users who spend thousands of times more money on their systems than console users to have to put up with a console-pc conversion of a good game that could have been much better if it happened to be designed to run on the latest pc technologies. Since I'm not out to get console owners, I have a suggestion for Rockstar, in my view they should make San Andreas for consoles and a totally different game for pc's that is wholefully designed for pc's instead of just converting it over, it seems quite succesful for a few other game series, like one for example is Medal Of Honour which has totally different console and pc incarnations each designed for the specific platforms.

Oooh, I took a long time to right that, oops. (I hope somebody reads this!)

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OI, DONT DIS THE MIGHTY SNES!!!

super mario owned and fifa internation soccer

Yeah man, SNES had many classic games. Those were in the days when most video games were actually fun. Nowadays you get console games which have excellent graphics, but terrible gameplay.

the obvious reason we all know for the fact that gta is being held back is that r* signed a 3 title exclusivity agreement with sony, (least for consoles) so Once this one is out of the way i assume that all bets are off and sony/microsoft/whoever can place their bid for exclusivity (go PC first damn you!) Im guessing GTA 4 (or whatever you want to call it) will be released on the PS 3 or xbox 2 first, and not the pc. Though in R*'s defence when they port the game to the pc they redo all the textures and redraw them all to fit the different resolutions... Porting it to a console from the PC i guess would be harder (guessing here)

Just wait for the news on who gets rights to gta4

the obvious reason we all know for the fact that gta is being held back is that r* signed a 3 title exclusivity agreement with sony, (least for consoles) so Once this one is out of the way i assume that all bets are off and sony/microsoft/whoever can place their bid for exclusivity (go PC first damn you!) Im guessing GTA 4 (or whatever you want to call it) will be released on the PS 3 or xbox 2 first, and not the pc. Though in R*'s defence when they port the game to the pc they redo all the textures and redraw them all to fit the different resolutions... Porting it to a console from the PC i guess would be harder (guessing here)

ive heard rumors that GTA:SA was already made for PC first, and THEN was planned to be ported to PS2, THEN they would release the PC version. this is most likely BS but i hope its true :cry:.

btw, there is a noticable improvement in graphics on the PC version over PS2 in III and VC, and GTA:VC was not that far behind other games when it was released. GTA3 had damn good graphics when it came out though. VC and SA do not look so good because they use the same basic engine engine as III, which is a few years old now (except more optimised ofcourse).

I would have thought it was easier to make it for PC and then port it to consoles, for the sole reason that they can patch it. Take Thief 3 for example - it had a bug where the difficulty would reset itself, and there was nothing they could do for the console version.

It's surely easier console first, then PC. Would you like to try and squeeze GTAVC PC ver. (using about 200Mb RAM on my machine) onto a PS2 with 32Mb?

Ick.

PS2 will also have loads of custom chips - PCs can emulate that functionality. Consoles are not powerful or general enough to emulate stuff that a PC can do.

yeah but there are still a few certain areas in vice city that show through JonChappel

what i'm trying to say is that the game engine is being held back by the fact that it must run on both pc and ps2

the gameplay counts not the graphics

Go play on your snes

i play on my c64, i really don't give a fuck about graphics (offcourse, they don't must make the game unplayable, like MoH:Underground for gba) but i DO care about gameplay, that's why i say, i don't care if the gta games have bad graphics, if it had a bad gameplay cause of the graphics, yes, then you would be allowed to complain

do you know how long it would take them if they were to completely write the game specifically for the pc? and then specifically for the ps2?

Fact is a lot of their code is probably pretty compatible with both systems... Especially considering Renderware is developed by a third party company...

Kent

I just think that they shouldnt develop games for consolles anymore , there are much more PC users , and PC can handle much more then any console (including the slow 1.2 GhZ XBOX). So i voted Yes. Wake up people , consoles are DEAD , PC's will keep existing , even if Microsoft ever goes bankrupt. Release date for PS2 SA , October or something , release date for PC : May 2005 , in that much time , im sure they will imrpove many things

Also , GTA3 draws the eyes better then VC.

Mr.Xanni

there are much more PC users

If you mean many more then I think you will find it is quite the opposite, mainly due the the vast price difference between a PC and a Console. Mummy will buy little Timmy a £200 pound door wedge for christmas over a £1200 pound corner hogger (that will be out of date quicker than u can say FLASH) every time.

There are more PC users then XBOX users

There are more PC users then PS2 users

There are more PC users then GameCube users

XBOX+PS2+GC users together are more then PC users

No consolle can ever beat the PC. I got a 2 year old PC , and I can still play the latest games :D So , it doesnt outdates THAT fast!

Mr.Xanni

I just think that they shouldnt develop games for consolles anymore , there are much more PC users , and PC can handle much more then any console (including the slow 1.2 GhZ XBOX). So i voted Yes. Wake up people , consoles are DEAD , PC's will keep existing , even if Microsoft ever goes bankrupt. Release date for PS2 SA , October or something , release date for PC : May 2005 , in that much time , im sure they will imrpove many things

Also , GTA3 draws the eyes better then VC.

Mr.Xanni

I'm pretty sure the Xbox was around 700 MHz, not 1.2 Ghz.

No consolle can ever beat the PC. I got a 2 year old PC , and I can still play the latest games :D So , it doesnt outdates THAT fast!

Mr.Xanni

I have a PC that is nearly three years old, and I can still play a lot of the recent games out. I can't really play anything like Doom 3 on a crazy resolution, but that would be due to my video card (ATI Radeon 9600XT), and not the processor or memory. I have upgraded this computer, but I think I will be building my next one instead of upgrading this one.

Mr.Xanni

sure, there may be more PC users than console users, but how many of those PC users are gamers? and how many of them even have an up to date computer that can run games? ive always thought that there were more console gamers than PC gamers, do you have numbers to back up your claim? i mean, i have this one online game for PS2... SOCOM, and there are thousands upon thousands of players online at any moment. no PC game can match that except maybe CS. so i think that there is a huge market for console games..

Mr.Xanni

You keep spouting random statistics, yet never try to substantiate them.