mta linux

man, I was just getting used to this yum and apt stuff, it all works togeather :D

I wish I knew what they did to make em work, I'm running the latest 2.8 smp kernel in yum... maby that will make it work.

could it have something to do w/ XFree over x.org??? cause fedora uses x.org and both debian and SuSE use XFree, I don't even think there is a x.org .deb yet

hmm... needs investigation, but I'll definatly choose XDamage and XComposite over MTA...

Please , dont call cheaters / people that use glitches hackers , hackers are programmers , people that want to know how something works , cheaters are just noobs who cant win a game , so they cheat :D

That's a matter of terminology - check out definition #2 here:

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=hacker

Believe me , thats a bad idea. Only 0.1 procent of the registered forum users knows how to use C++. Aprox. 10% is cheater. People may release "bugged" versions of MTA with trojans etc. Think about it , why would MTA work with Linux and not with MTA

Open source doesn't mean anyone can update the code - it simply means everyone can VIEW the code, and submit patches if they want - it doesn't HAVE to be added to the code unless the team want it to be. Google for Open Source and Security, and you'll see lots of people in the industry citing arguments that open source is MORE secure because ANYONE in the community can work on security patches.

As long as enough good people are working for the project instead of against it, it will be more secure. Don't you think some of those malicious hackers may prefer to show off their coding skills by submitting bug patches rather than by programming bots / cheats / etc.

Just something to consider before you leap to conclusions...

I know , but when Shareaza (a popular P2P app) was made open source , a lot of "programmers" just changed the logo and the title , and sold it on their "FREE MP3" websites. That could happen with MTA to (i reffer to Blaze , who try'd to sell MTA on ebay!). But afcource , you are right , open source is a good thing , only some bad people can create dificulty's

Mr.Xanni

There's a simple fix used in an open source fps (Cube) - most servers will only allow the official pre-compiled, pre-hashed client to connect. You can host a 'hacked' server that will allow user complied or modified clients to connect (for development or cheaters :P) without disrupting 'approved' servers.

Do this, and people can rebrand (as they can already with a hex editor and a CRC calculator), but they can never get a following, 'cos to play with lots of people, you have to use the pre-compiled 'endorsed' client to connect to the busy legit servers.

I don't see that the fact that they use Linux has any relation to whether they will ask "n00b questions" or not. Also, you knowing "a lot" of Linux UT2004 players doesn't represent a majority, and because there are vastly more Windows users (and hence more UT2004 users), there are likely to be more "professional" UT2004 Windows players (whatever that means).

Yeah, you've got a point. It all depends on how much time and effort such an implementation would take. It wouldn't be prudent to spend a great deal of time on it when that time could be better spent on features that would benefit the majority.

You got a good point there too. Only , if they got some spare time...

/me hopes that the MTA Team all of a sudden gets days of time where a normall human would only have a hour :D

wow, 3 pages...

well, isn't the linux userbase bigger than mac's now, I know some people say it is and others say it isn't, so it seems that it would be the second biggest to invite in. And Solaris and BSD's seem to have some compatability w/ linux proggies.

open sourced mta would be neat, but there is the hacking thing, revealing the innerworking could allow hacker's to more easily find holes in the code. Plus there is the thing that it is no longer your program. I'm a senior, about to go to college, and anything I write I know store in a portfolio type thing, and I can say, hey, this is my application/game. (search patrickgames on google, yay, lost all the sourcecode, good ol' days of Jamagic).

it would be nice to see some sort of linux compatability pop out, using winelibs, or some restructuring to make the program co-operate w/ linux. Now I have cedega set up, and homework to do. Oh no, though choice...

I know, and it won't run on sparc either

but bsd runs on x86 machines. And there are plenty of x86 emulators mac users could try to bundle w/ winex, although it's prolly difficult, and prolly goes a bit beyond the point & click interface.

also, there is a version of Sparc for the x86, and I believe there are x86 emulators for the sparc processor.

But this is in no way a good solution, it's like trying to play a playstation game on the comp. You can, but it won't work well. And not only will you get bugs from wine, but you'll get bugs from the emulator...

it's interesting how this thread is going, and it doesn't seem to be a flamewar, or did I talk too soon.

man... I still have to do my homework, thank goodness it's the weekend...