mta linux

ok, I know gta.vc doesn't support linux, but it runs in cedega

mta doesn't work in cedega (winex), and it seems mostly to be the netcode is what is causing this error.

there is a linux server, which means some coding (at least a backend) has been done w/ the necissary code.

I'm not sure how the winelibs work, but would it be possible, to compile the game using winelibs, and include the linux specific code in there?

or maby work on getting this to work with cedega.

I understand that you can not release a fully native linux client without gta being written w/ a linux client, but I really want to play this game, this is one of two games I really want to get 2 work (this and splintercell).

I also noticed that I often have problems w/ the networking part of games, such as rainbow 6 3, and gta (original for pc).

and please don't immediatly lock this, I'm not asking the impossible (but it may be out of the way) and I just spent all that time registering and making my gmail account venerable :D

nope

linux only

wait, I have a spyware infested 3 yr old bottom quality (then, cheapest @ best) laptop w/ xp... but xp is on the vendor's cd... not a m$ cd

it lags while playing starcraft though, I get somewhere between 2 and 8 fps for most shooters... I wonder what vc would do?? I may actually test it.

but I have a top of the line, hand built (by me) desktop that I installed linux on. p4 lg775 processor at 3.2 GHz, GeForce FX 5900 pcx, 3 cdrom drives, 2 hard disks (yes, games take up 1 80 gig, and one 120 gig, especially when I have 6 copies installed to test different features of different emulators) 2 game pads, onboard audio and 512 ram, I'm sure u can pick out where I ran out of money (look around the audio section) :D

not criticizing u for not doing a port though (and not trying to show u up or anything w/ my comp, I like typing), I understand this is a pretty big feat doing the porting (I even have trouble getting my java programs 2 run correctly @ skool, drives my teacher crazy), and I've done a little experimenting in c++ and random interpreted languages. If I can be of any help, I'd be glad to aid, but my networking skill ends at MOO (Multiplayer online object or something along those lines) and the most porting I've done was from my linux desktop to my linux pda.

man I need a life

MTA works by modifying memory, Wine / Cedega works by emulating system calls such as GlobalAlloc, and all the memory allocation stuff. This means you can't peek like you can in Windows unless the app doing the peeking is also running under Cedega.

If you look at the debug output from MTA failures under Cedega, it's complaining the raw socket access isn't supported. This seems to suggest that manipulating sockets / packets is not (fully) supported under Cedega (it CERTAINLY isn't allowed in Linux at the user level - you must have root privileges, and if you want to play around with memory in Linux in an 'emulator' with root privileges, you need your head examining :) )

When XP came out and granted raw socket access, a lot of UN*X people were really pissed because you can write dangerous programs (spoofing IP applications, etc). This suggests MTA may not be possible without a NATIVE Linux GTA.

I remember that the first MTA client used to start with WineX , I could even get to the VC menu with some tweaking , but when I was trying to start the game , it crashed right after drawing the chatbox...

Also , you can use Emule (metioning eMule isnt illegal isnt it? , freedom of speech :D) to get "the stuff you need". Getting PartitionMagic might be a good idea , also , why are you so afraid for logging in as root? if you got your iptables right , it shouldnt be a problem , and a hacker must be reley lucky to pick your IP out of a couble of BILLION on the internet :D Also , Cedega is quite stable , and doesnt ruin your Linux config anymore when ran when logged ina s root :D

Mr.Xanni

I have half-life (w/ mods), ut2004 (w/ mods), quake3 (w/ mods), and Battlefield 1942 (w/ mods) all working w/ full multiplayer support. I have no problem with steam, and I even got Doom3 to work with multiplayer support.

For the most part, I love linux. The performance is awsome, the next release of x.org will give us mac quality special effects, and runs on almost any machine with some sort of writable disk and a cpu.

yes, I know

I did write a nice 14 page essay on y linx is better than any other of the mainstream os's for an english class (got marked down cause the max was supposed to be 4).

it's amazing how cult-ish linux becomes, it has obsessed every moment of my day, and now as I try to free myself, I get stuck deeper. I had a just works distro, got bored, and installed gentoo, y, I don't know.

I like it, and you would to

but yeah, performance isn't great under winex (but it can be better than windows in some games, mainly since it doesn't have IEXPLORER.exe and explorer.exe running in the background)

but I have no arguments other than I'm poor, I'm staying legal, linux is fun, I have no life, and I have no friends, exept those who come over for the lan party, but they are two, and bring their friends since I have the only working network, guess which os my router runs :D

now I have to install a new os which isn't based on gentoo, or my java teacher will have my head

suse was pretty good, but the free version is missing way too many features.

Gentoo is awsome once it's set up, which takes about a week

mepis is kool, I forget y I dropped it, I think because I was getting errors w/ cedega that others weren't.

atm, I've dropped gentoo since school started before I could get it set up, and I just installed fedora core for some reason. I think I didn't like this one's update system or the difficulty it puts you through setting up an nvidia card.

but, anyway, I'd appreciate any work done here to make it easier to get this game to work with linux. In addition, I've been bugging around the transgaming forums.

right now I'm looking forwards to doom3 (had it running on cedega till I removed SuSE, and then since I've been distrohopping since, I haven't reinstalled it. plus I decided to wait for the linux client, and the next patch)

well, I'll prolly end up buying SuSE, it always seems to be the best, and is the distro I often fall back on (note, Xandros was my favorite till they charged for Xandros 2.0).

Know it's a bit off topic and spammish, but check out http://www.linuxfromscratch.org - you can build your own system and learn the real inner workings of Linux. My install is MUCH quicker and smaller than any distro I've tried.

btw, main plus point of Linux for me is you can do practically anything you want for free - the main compiler and libraries are completely free (as in beer and speech), and open source software generally runs much better on a UN*X style OS... No shelling out £700 for a decent MS IDE (and yes I know about dev-cpp, etc).

There's just much more freedom to do exactly what you want as you have source code for 99% of the programs your computer is running, and with many programs, there are much more frequent releases. If MTA were open source....well there would likely be much more frequent releases (and maybe more hackers), as the community could contribute back to the code base.

Please , dont call cheaters / people that use glitches hackers , hackers are programmers , people that want to know how something works , cheaters are just noobs who cant win a game , so they cheat :D

If MTA were open source....well there would likely be much more frequent releases (and maybe more hackers), as the community could contribute back to the code base.

Believe me , thats a bad idea. Only 0.1 procent of the registered forum users knows how to use C++. Aprox. 10% is cheater. People may release "bugged" versions of MTA with trojans etc. Think about it , why would MTA work with Linux and not with MTA

Mr.Xanni

If MTA were open source....well there would likely be much more frequent releases (and maybe more hackers), as the community could contribute back to the code base.

Believe me , thats a bad idea. Only 0.1 procent of the registered forum users knows how to use C++. Aprox. 10% is cheater. People may release "bugged" versions of MTA with trojans etc. Think about it , why would MTA work with Linux and not with MTA

Mr.Xanni

Oh, people can come up with statistics to prove anything, Kent. 14% of people know that.
:roll:

The community can contribute in Blue anyway, without it being open source. There would definitely be more cheaters, without a doubt. And more frequent releases, possibly, but I can see this leading to confusion and doing more damage to the community than good.

I just switched to fedora cause skool jumped up on me, and I had a half baked gento system emerging.

I heard of lfs, and it sounds fun, but that would prolly take longer than gentoo (and w/o portage, not wanting to start flamewars, but I like it better than apt and this yumi thing I have on fedora).

I'm gonna get cedega again soon, just need to make sure this is ready for skool, and kill the fat f... err fruitcake who stole my usb stick.

yes I am registered (that $30 was really worth it, a lot less than m$), and thanks for that info on SuSE and Debian. Debian doesn't like my s-ata hard disk, and I don't feel like doing this compatability mode stuff. it keeps bugging out in the partitioning phase, telling me to create a linux raid, but not actually making any partitions, or giving me any options but back...

SuSE I may actually buy, it'll b the first os I've purchased since I got the xp update for my laptop b4 I traded it in @ best 4 one w/ xp already installed, several years ago when I didn't care about os's, and I barely touched linux. (Xandros was a gift, and I wouldn't be using linux atm if I didn't have that, Lycoris, my very first distro, I hated and dependencies were driving my crazy).

Funny thing is, I was using MEPIS b4, it didn't work on that, but I was using the testing version. Mepis is based on Debian...

I can talk in circles much longer, but I'll end w/ thanx and linux rox, and one long live the penguin

est-ce que bon avec toi???