Alt+tab / windowbutton

IIYAMA

Question

• Moderators

After some updates from 1.4 I am having trouble using alt+tab or using the windowbutton.

When I using them in mta, my screen gets black and I won't be able to go to my background.

I only having this problem with mta.

Here is some information about the video software and hardware, but I don't think it is the problem since it is only with mta.

Versie stuurprogrammapakket   14.501.1003-141120a-177998C 
Catalyst-versie 14.12 AMD Catalyst Omega Software 
Leverancier Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. 
Versie 2D-stuurprogramma    8.01.01.1443 
Bestandspad 2D-stuurprogramma   /REGISTRY/MACHINE/SYSTEM/ControlSet001/Control/CLASS/{4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}/0003 
Direct3D-versie 9.14.10.01080 
OpenGL-versie   6.14.10.13283 
Mantle-versie   9.1.10.0045 
Mantle API Version  98304 
Versie AMD Catalyst Control Center  2014.1120.2123.38423 
AMD-geluidsstuurprogrammaversie 7.12.0.7719 

primary adapter

Fabrikant grafische kaart Powered by AMD 
Grafische chipset   AMD Radeon R9 200 Series 
Apparaat-id 6798 
Leveranciers-ID 1002 
Subsysteem-ID   3000 
Leveranciers-id subsysteem  1787 
Revisie-ID  00 
Grafische-busfunctionaliteit    PCI Express 3.0 
BIOS-versie 015.022.000.000 
BIOS-onderdeelnummer    113-C38620-XT2 
BIOS-datum  2012/07/11 
Grootte geheugen    3072 MB 
Geheugentype    GDDR5 
Kernklok in MHz 1100 MHz 
Geheugenklok in MHz 1500 MHz 
Totale geheugenbandbreedte in GB/s  288,0 GB/s 

Secondary adapter

Fabrikant grafische kaart Powered by AMD 
Grafische chipset   AMD Radeon R9 200 Series 
Apparaat-id 6798 
Leveranciers-ID 1002 
Subsysteem-ID   3000 
Leveranciers-id subsysteem  1787 
Revisie-ID  00 
Grafische-busfunctionaliteit    PCI Express 3.0 
BIOS-versie 015.032.000.004 
BIOS-onderdeelnummer    113-C38620-XT2 
BIOS-datum  2013/03/18 
Grootte geheugen    3072 MB 
Geheugentype    GDDR5 
Kernklok in MHz 1050 MHz 
Geheugenklok in MHz 1500 MHz 
Totale geheugenbandbreedte in GB/s  288,0 GB/s 

10 answers to this question

• MTA Anti-Cheat Team

First of all, we still need the MTADiag log to look at other possible problems, no matter whether it's an MTA/driver issue.

Please download and run MTADiag and follow the instructions. If MTADiag doesn't launch, please install Visual C++ 2012 runtimes (download and install vcredist_x86.exe) and try again.

Press 'n' when asked.

Post any Pastebin URL MTADiag gives you. Do you use mods?

Edited by Guest
  • MTA Anti-Cheat Team

Try disabling windows aero from the MTA settings menu, relaunch and see if it solves it.

- Delete gta_sa.set from Documents > GTA San Andreas User Files, then re-set your resolution to what's recommended for your monitor (optimal display resolution)

If you know when it started happening as you said after some 1.4 updates, try some older revisions and see if the problem disappears. If it does, narrow down the exact revision step and provide the revision it starts happening.

Try these from below to up:

https://nightly.multitheftauto.com/mtasa-1.4-rc-6760-20140801.exe (very old; if this doesn't let it disappear, then it's not revision-update related)

https://nightly.multitheftauto.com/mtasa-1.4-rc-6949-20141128.exe (only continue to here if the above version fixed the problem)

https://nightly.multitheftauto.com/mtasa-1.4-rc-6975-20141220.exe (if it makes a difference with above one)

Also as we need to know, if revision-related, which update specificly it started happening. If it auto-updated or you used the ingame update checker, go to (diskletter / C:/ProgramData\MTA San Andreas All\1.4\upcache, and see if there's an extract-package containing an revision number, if there is, list all of them here.

If you used the installer or nightly, retrieve the revision number from it either by filename (nightly) or meta tag versionheader (mtasa-1.4.exe, hover over/file details or run and check install dialog rev message) once you made sure it was the installer used when the problem started happening. If you remember how many times you updated or in a row before it started to happen, find an way to get the revision it started and just try some older revision nightlys from within the range of versions it happened (https://nightly.multitheftauto.com , tick the box 'show older versions' at 1.4) then close up with the revision that caused it.

Just to make sure, install & update with these drivers:

- Audio, http://www.filehippo.com/download_realtek_high_definition_audio_vista_64

- Intel chipset, https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=20775

I know the 14.12 ''Omega'' driver from ATI you have (latest) has been changed without notice (same version but some kind of update due to bugs), so try re-downloading it and then uninstall/install it. If you have no important game specific configs, wipe all custom 3D profiles, or else atleast make sure GTA or MTA runs default (''let the application decide'') settings/profile, or/also go to MTA settings > ''Disable driver overrides'' and see again.

• Moderators

I fixed it by deleting the folders: (and reinstall mta)

- mods

- MTA

It seems my pc doesn't like mta running in window mode.

The problem of not able to use alt+tab and windowbutton still remain.

Are they working correctly for you?

• MTA Anti-Cheat Team

The problem of not able to use alt+tab and windowbutton still remain.

Are they working correctly for you?

They are, since I never seen this thing and I'm also on win7 this must be something with your PC..

It seems my pc doesn't like mta running in window mode.

I think so yes.. now if you're so sure it all happened when you installed some updates, try the steps i listed for revisions (although no significant D3D fixes were made, already doubting if it's something with an patch) or else your best bet is to completely uninstall your graphics driver and the full ATI (catalyst) package (including application profiles and settings/customizations) then re-downloading and reinstalling with the ATI 14.9 driver first and see if this makes a difference, if it doesn't, then why do a rollback and uninstall that full package again, and just install 14.12 again.

That's to make sure it's not to do with the graphics driver

Now, do you use windowed mode as you mentioned it? If you set it to ''borderless'' or borderless keep-res, what happens?

This is the point bugs may come around the corner, I experienced one like that myself as ATI drivers had problems lately...

it's possible that your gta_sa.set screen mode isn't being correctly updated as mine remained half borderless once while it was set fullscreen, ATI drivers don't always correctly recognize the gta_sa.set and can fail to write the correct values or corrupt it.

This, in exact sequence:

1. Before looking into that, check on this:

- Documents>GTA San Andreas user files, right-click the folder then properties>security, (permission issues can cause readwrite problems with it), then edit, ''add'' and advanced, > button ''Find Now'' and select your username entry there (windows local useraccount) to add it in the security tab, now enable Full access on it in the properties>security tab.

If there are any yet-listed entries on there that don't have the full-access ticked, change it to full.

2. Now, check if your MTA installation folder has the same permissions in the same method and check for it on the GTA dir also. If needed fix it that way to exclude readwrite problems.. now in the GTA folder, right-click gta_sa.exe then properties>compatibility, make sure there is no special operating-system mode selected, and also tick the ''Run as administrator'' checkbox, then do this same steps for the MTA launcher in MTA folder.

3. Launch MTA once more, and make sure the setting of screenmode is set to Full screen (''standard'')

Exit mta.

Delete gta_sa.set once more, but now don't let MTA re-create it, but SA. Launch GTA, and set your resolutions with it, then exit and launch MTA, it will write your MTA config resolutions and screenmode to the gta_sa.set and hopefully this workaround didn't let it go corrupted if this was the problem, re-launch MTA and see if it's fixed now. If it's not try the same, but with the gta_sa.set deleting (steps & sequence) every time you set an new screen mode, trying all of them to see differences or a fix (borderless, borderless keep res)

It depends on the effort you'd put into something like this, just that I seen an similar problem such as with ATI driver issues and gta_sa.set combination. From your MTAdiag no obvious system issue is visible, but it certainly is one as you would probably see on reinstalling windows or nailing the cause with certain steps, I can't tell more out of this other that it's not MTA but something else or in combination, those steps are your best bet to try other than a complete re-install of MTA and GTA.

• Moderators

@Dutchman101

Thank you very much for explaining so much.

I did all the steps and extra steps, but unfortunately no changes. Mta works or doesn't work when I make those changes.

It is probably because of the driver update and because I am use crossfire, I will have to wait till they fix it.

The only strange thing I noticed is that MTA doesn't require the gta_sa.set

It is starting up without recreating it.

Instead it is probably saved in:

MTA San Andreas 1.4\MTA

Since I have to destroy that folder to debug it.

Settings are saved in:

coreconfig.xml

• MTA Anti-Cheat Team

The only strange thing I noticed is that MTA doesn't require the gta_sa.set

It is starting up without recreating it.

Do you have the file or duplicate in D:\Program Files (x86)\Rockstar Games\GTA San Andreas\data ?

If it's not there it could be related, as there have been bugs with recent ATI drivers > that show problems incase they cannot form the gta_sa.set. Best thing to do then, wih some manipulating is:

- Completely uninstall the graphics driver and let Windows try to ''install device software'' automaticly. Now go to device manager and ''delete'' the adapter, tick ''also the driver'' and close that windows, remember do NOT activate anything within that window again or go to device manager; It will re-recognize the card and auo-install... the goal here is to run with the Microsoft Basic display adapter generic driver..

Now run MTA. It will be unplayable or 3 FPS/extremely show response due to the missing graphics driver, just run it and if the gta_sa.set creates now, back it up into an second folder and install ATI drivers again and see if it runs on the Basic display-driver created file (it normally even does)

• Moderators

I found the problem. It wasn't related to MTA nor my drivers.

I am using next to MSI Afterburner the program RivaTunerStatistics Server to showing my GPU's usage, fan speed and temperature. So I can keep an eye on them when playing arma 3, since they can get very hot(around the 90°C) while playing that game.

It seems that was the problem. :)

@Dutchman101

I am sorry for wasting your time.