READ FIRST: Rules and Frequently Asked Questions

As anyone who has read the development of this sub-forum over the last day will know, we've definitely got some very frequently asked questions. I'm going to have a go at answering some of them. If i've missed one, send me a forum message and I'll answer it and add it.

First some general guidelines:

o NO FLAMING

o Do NOT ask for a release date.

o Search HERE for a thread covering the same subject before you post.

o No irrelevant posts here, those belong HERE.

o Post MTA Mod ideas HERE and MTA Mode ideas HERE instead of making a new thread for each.

The F.A.Q.

1. Modding support.

As stated on the original page, modding support will be one of the main features of blue that will hopefully make the game much more varied at exciting. Many people seem very confused about how this works, so I'm going to try to explain how we see it working (it may change).

You'll visit a site and download a mod in a zip file or an installer. Installing this mod will add a few files to your vice city folder - no overwriting. Next, you'll launch blue, you'll choose the mod you just installed from a list, and have a look at the servers avaliable for the mod. You'll choose a server with a juicy ping and connect to it. Thats it. The server will check that you have the correct files.

Another point that seems to confuse people is that its not the server owner (though it could be) who has to write the modification+addon. It could be anyone, server admins can then download the server version and install it on their server.

When we refer to "addon", we're refering to a .dll file (or .so on linux servers). When we refer to "modification"/"mod" we're refering to the complete resources needed for the game-mode such as textures, sounds, sprites etc.

Addons will have to be coded in either C or C++. We will be providing support for a free IDE and compiler as well as Visual C++ 6, both will work as well as eachother. We will also be providing some useful 3rd party tools that we think you will find useful along with some sample source code. Although C or C++ knowledge is useful for writing the addon of your dreams, we expect that by reading through the existing code and fidiling around you should be able to get the hang of it easily. We will also hope to provide tutorials and other support for writing specific parts of addons and gamemodes.

2. When will blue be released??!

We don't know. The progress bar on the main page gives some indication, but it shouldn't be relied upon.

3. Can I beta test?

No, we'll release information about how we will be beta testing blue nearer its release.

Only three FAQ so far, but I'll do more when someone suggests one. Please forum-message me with any suggestions.