Best configuration to a MTA server

joaosilva099

Question

Hi all, i am planning to open a MTA server. I will buy a VPS to install the server in, I am asking you, experianced members, wich is the best configuration? What component should I give more attention?

Here is a list of the company I am thinking in sign:

direct

This companny offers this addons too:

Núcleo adicional (R$25,00/mês / 1vCPU)

IP adicional (R$5,00/mês / 1 IPV4 adicional)

Memória RAM (R$3,50/mês / 128 MB)

Upgrade HD (R$0,00/mês / 5GB)

100 Mbps uplink (R$0,00/mês - GRÁTIS)

1 Gbps uplink (R$15,00/mês)

Thanks anyways

i think the third is sufficient, if the internet speed is good (high)

I agree with him, good enough R.A.M. But it also depends on what things you will do on server.

If resource usage is alot then 3rd one, if they have good performance then 2nd one ( small player base ).

3rd one would be best if resource usage is less and around 20-30 players.

• Moderators

Sure, but to make sure of this, you need to know the quality and usage of the resources you are running.

The more players you have on your server the more actions your serverside scripts have to do.

It is difficult to know this for the sure, the only thing you can do is testing it.

oh and you also need popcorn :D Just kidding... you also need high speed data filter built in the server... like minimum of 5ghz

For me worked on, 2.5 ghz( my laptop's ).. But still might be different for others.. and why is the computer speed need to be so good?

You 2 guys, please erease yourselves from the forum...

Like IYAMA said, you need to test, even 1GHZ may be enought if the server load is enought low.

Oh and to mention, GHZ is no real parameter alone, do some background research on the processors itself, the transitor ammout is the other big part of the meal. A good examle of this is the 2GHz Quad my LG G2 phone has, is not even close to a 10year old 1GHZ dual core PC CPU. (Okay, maybe not that exteme, but yeah.)

To do some short explanation (unnacurate, but useful):

1 transitor works 5 data at 2GHz - This gives 10 Data every sec.

2 transitor work 5 data at 1GHZ - This gives 10 Data every sec.

Thats why the technology of CPU's is said, like 29nm - a measure of the transitors it contains.

(Its not like this, but gives sort of an idea)

oh and you also need popcorn :D Just kidding... you also need high speed data filter built in the server... like minimum of 5ghz

For me worked on, 2.5 ghz( my laptop's ).. But still might be different for others.. and why is the computer speed need to be so good?

You 2 guys, please erease yourselves from the forum...

Like IYAMA said, you need to test, even 1GHZ may be enought if the server load is enought low.

Oh and to mention, GHZ is no real parameter alone, do some background research on the processors itself, the transitor ammout is the other big part of the meal. A good examle of this is the 2GHz Quad my LG G2 phone has, is not even close to a 10year old 1GHZ dual core PC CPU. (Okay, maybe not that exteme, but yeah.)

To do some short explanation (unnacurate, but useful):

1 transitor works 5 data at 2GHz - This gives 10 Data every sec.

2 transitor work 5 data at 1GHZ - This gives 10 Data every sec.

Thats why the technology of CPU's is said, like 29nm - a measure of the transitors it contains.

(Its not like this, but gives sort of an idea)

Thank you for explaining me.

RAM and CPU are the most important components I would say, but still, it all depends on what kind of resources you plan to use and how optimized they are, how much is running on the server vs the client etc.. Let's check each component individually and what they are used for.

RAM, store objects and data for quick access when the CPU needs it, this is a pretty cheap component today which most servers has a large amount of, there's also a swap on your hard drive to store objects that isn't accessed very often that help's the RAM. With more players you may need more of this obviously, let's take cit2 as an example, a server that could had 1400 players online at the same time as most and they have 64GB RAM I read somewhere, that's a maximum of ~46MB/player, with a more optimized game mode you can reduce that even more but as recommendation it's a fair number to work with.

HDD, usually not an issue 10GB is just fine, most server has way more space than that anyway, what's important here is the backup which should be stored on at least two different physical drives, not in the same chase to avoid loosing all data if your server is on fire one day for example ;)

CPU The component you can optimize most of all, start the built in resource 'webadmin' and 'performancebrowser', open your web browser and connect to your server to view the performance browser, that shows you how many % CPU is used by each running resource and thanks to that you can find which one is badly optimized, a resource that use much CPU will reduce the server's FPS (Frames per second) and your players may experience lag. A recommendation for the FPS is 36 but I would suggest 60 as that's what most monitors today have, you may notice a few GTA bugs with that but it shouldn't be any problem thought.

Multicore may be useful if you plan to run other applications on your VPS such as a webserver maybe, except for that the server itself won't use more than 1 core as far as I know. A faster CPU may handle badly optimized scripts better but I recommend optimizing the scripts instead, you usually save more money that way since most hosting companies usually charge you more if you want a faster CPU.

Bandwidth, usually it's easy to think that you need lot's of this but as for the other part's it's all about optimization here as well, mods could for example be downloaded later by script from an external server to prevent long download times, it's measured in mbt/s where 8bit = 1byte, you do the math and find out how much data you need to transfer, I haven't noticed any issues yet serving 50 clients on a 10mbt/s line, what you may check here is also the ping, a high ping could ruin the synchronization between players and objects so the server must have as low ping as possible.

A resource that use much CPU will reduce the server's FPS (Frames per second) and your players may experience lag. A recommendation for the FPS is 36 but I would suggest 60 as that's what most monitors today have, you may notice a few GTA bugs with that but it shouldn't be any problem thought.

wat

• Moderators

@Grafu

It may looks a little bit strange because he said cpu, but when your cpu can't handle it any more, your gpu will not work optimal too. In the beginning the fps will not drop, but your frame time will be dramatic increased. (frame time isn't exactly the same as your fps counter) Your fps don't feel smooth while playing, but you still have 60 fps.

@Grafu

It may looks a little bit strange because he said cpu, but when your cpu can't handle it any more, your gpu will not work optimal too. In the beginning the fps will not drop, but your frame time will be dramatic increased. (frame time isn't exactly the same as your fps counter) Your fps don't feel smooth while playing, but you still have 60 fps.

Wasn't the post about the server configuration?

That's exactly what it was and I found a conclusion there in performance browser, when the CPU can't do all calculations the FPS will go down, a server can also run out of resources and that will be noticed on the clients as well. That 36 FPS thing is a notice in the server configuration file where maximum FPS can be specified, this has probably more to do with the tick count rather than client's graphics but a limit of 36 will prevent clients from running with higher amount of FPS, that's why I recommend 60 in server configuration.

That's exactly what it was and I found a conclusion there in performance browser, when the CPU can't do all calculations the FPS will go down, a server can also run out of resources and that will be noticed on the clients as well. That 36 FPS thing is a notice in the server configuration file where maximum FPS can be specified, this has probably more to do with the tick count rather than client's graphics but a limit of 36 will prevent clients from running with higher amount of FPS, that's why I recommend 60 in server configuration.

But what the server running out of CPU power has to do with the client fps?

• Moderators

Because all data from your ram and HDD goes through your CPU(here is your game processed) before it enters your graphical card.

Lets call it:

"You are driving a very expensive/fast BMW but you can't speed up, because you are stuck in a traffic jam."

Because all data from your ram and HDD goes through your CPU(here is your game processed) before it enters your graphical card.

Lets call it:

"You are driving a very expensive/fast BMW but you can't speed up, because you are stuck in a traffic jam."

So you're saying all the data processed on the server is going through a remote computer (my client, in this case) and slowing it down, that way, making my client fps go down?

Lets call it:

"You are driving a very fast/expensive Ferrari, but you can't go any faster, because there's a traffic jam somewhere 10 countries away from you."

You sure server CPU has to do something with the client FPS?