Best configuration to a MTA server

joaosilva099

Question

Hi all, i am planning to open a MTA server. I will buy a VPS to install the server in, I am asking you, experianced members, wich is the best configuration? What component should I give more attention?

Here is a list of the company I am thinking in sign:

direct

This companny offers this addons too:

Núcleo adicional (R$25,00/mês / 1vCPU)

IP adicional (R$5,00/mês / 1 IPV4 adicional)

Memória RAM (R$3,50/mês / 128 MB)

Upgrade HD (R$0,00/mês / 5GB)

100 Mbps uplink (R$0,00/mês - GRÁTIS)

1 Gbps uplink (R$15,00/mês)

Thanks anyways

I'm pretty sure they affect each others in some cases, only the fact that you can set the FPS limit server side which will be applied to all clients, means that the server CPU directly can affect the clients. That example with the BMW was actually pretty good, and just to make it clear, no not all data goes thought the server CPU, only the data processed by server side scripts.

For example render a DX GUI will only affect the clients currently using that GUI while for example a saving function that saves all account data for all players in a timer each 50ms (example of badly optimized script), will use pretty much all CPU performance, that the server has, and thereby also slow down the clients.

Let's also assume you have some calls between server and client, like if you used set and get element data to temporary store the data you're trying to save server side which has to be synced through all clients and the server. There are ways to workaround this but if the resources are badly written the server CPU will reduce clients FPS as well. By default both the MTA server and client software use a pretty low amount of resources and you can easily get 60 FPS on older machines as well.

I'm pretty sure they affect each others in some cases, only the fact that you can set the FPS limit server side which will be applied to all clients, means that the server CPU directly can affect the clients. That example with the BMW was actually pretty good, and just to make it clear, no not all data goes thought the server CPU, only the data processed by server side scripts.

For example render a DX GUI will only affect the clients currently using that GUI while for example a saving function that saves all account data for all players in a timer each 50ms (example of badly optimized script), will use pretty much all CPU performance, that the server has, and thereby also slow down the clients.

Let's also assume you have some calls between server and client, like if you used set and get element data to temporary store the data you're trying to save server side which has to be synced through all clients and the server. There are ways to workaround this but if the resources are badly written the server CPU will reduce clients FPS as well. By default both the MTA server and client software use a pretty low amount of resources and you can easily get 60 FPS on older machines as well.

Let's stop playing the broken phone game:

Hi all, i am planning to open a MTA server. I will buy a VPS to install the server in, I am asking you, experianced members, wich is the best configuration? What component should I give more attention?

Here is a list of the company I am thinking in sign:

direct

This companny offers this addons too:

Núcleo adicional (R$25,00/mês / 1vCPU)

IP adicional (R$5,00/mês / 1 IPV4 adicional)

Memória RAM (R$3,50/mês / 128 MB)

Upgrade HD (R$0,00/mês / 5GB)

100 Mbps uplink (R$0,00/mês - GRÁTIS)

1 Gbps uplink (R$15,00/mês)

Thanks anyways

Client performance is far from the topic.

CPU The component you can optimize most of all, start the built in resource 'webadmin' and 'performancebrowser', open your web browser and connect to your server to view the performance browser, that shows you how many % CPU is used by each running resource and thanks to that you can find which one is badly optimized, a resource that use much CPU will reduce the server's FPS (Frames per second) and your players may experience lag. A recommendation for the FPS is 36 but I would suggest 60 as that's what most monitors today have, you may notice a few GTA bugs with that but it shouldn't be any problem thought.

Multicore may be useful if you plan to run other applications on your VPS such as a webserver maybe, except for that the server itself won't use more than 1 core as far as I know. A faster CPU may handle badly optimized scripts better but I recommend optimizing the scripts instead, you usually save more money that way since most hosting companies usually charge you more if you want a faster CPU.

FPS 36, 60... Has a lot to do with the server machine hardware...

More updates means more restarts which means less uptime, Windows has lower security by default, Windows consumes up to 10x more RAM, In short, Windows has nothing to do on a server. Go for Linux, especially Debian is a stable distribution which also can be run without GUI, giving you more performance for your money, Cent OS is also common on game server hosting machines. And Ubuntu are good for beginners since it's easy to work with. I have long experience from both Windows and Linux server systems.

More updates means more restarts which means less uptime, Windows has lower security by default, Windows consumes up to 10x more RAM, In short, Windows has nothing to do on a server. Go for Linux, especially Debian is a stable distribution which also can be run without GUI, giving you more performance for your money, Cent OS is also common on game server hosting machines. And Ubuntu are good for beginners since it's easy to work with. I have long experience from both Windows and Linux server systems.

Thanks. I was thinking on it too. Less graph less ram consumption right?

But, since i do not know any linux command i would need help to install the mysql db and the server...

Thanks. I was thinking on it too. Less graph less ram consumption right?

But, since i do not know any linux command i would need help to install the mysql db and the server...

Contact me. I'd help you or see the wiki. https://wiki.multitheftauto.com/wiki/In ... _GNU_Linux

Well...

I have been searching and thinking and I ended up with this configuration:

direct

What do you say? Is it good? Is not too cheap? (i am pretty shifty about that...)

EDIT: I searched in google for that company and I realy didn't found any "questions" related to stealing money, etc...

And also that company is in server hosting provider suggested by MTA. Should I belive?

Bad selection. I can get 10 VPS for 20 euros and have load balancing with it by default. You should look at something small, and not something big.

What do you mean? you can buy VPS for 2€

Should I choose less RAM?

As I said in an earlier reply in this topic, you should buy multiple VPS, such as 10, if you want to have load balancing. You should therefore also buy 10 IPv4 addresses. This way you get cheap DDoS protection with fair enough server setup, which you can upgrade anytime you want, in which order you want. The cheaper the VPS is, with OK setup, is better than having one super cool VPS. You do not need 100 GB of memory, you need only the amount of your OS and the packages required on top of it. Your load balancing servers only need 1-2 GB of RAM, and probably 5 GB of memory maximum. Their CPU power does not have to go through the roof either.

For the main VPS you need to install MTA server, and your MTA resources, which could be at 10 GB maximum (if we count in the OS and required packages) - and you probably have a lot of spare memory after that too, so you can install Steam game servers, like Team Fortress 2 if you wish. And besides memory can always be thrown in whenever you want. If 10 GB is not enough, just throw another 10 GB. CPU power can also be improved if you need it, so, more cores means more flexibility but also strength in a way or another. If you have multiple servers than just one, tuck in a little bit better CPU so you can run the other one on a different core. I suppose MTA does this at the moment, that it uses a different core (if any) for every individual server you are running on your machine, not sure, I guess it depends on the machine itself as well.

And before you do any RAM size selection, look at how big your player base can at maximum be. You do not necessarily want your server to be 4096 players, because it makes no sense. Maybe you can just limit it to 100, and those who want to play have to wait for a slot to open. Not a big deal, most games do that anyway and makes it easier to manage as of administrative side. If you will only have 100 players at maximum, you probably need 6 GB. If you want, you can be sure and tuck in 8 GB, but start small. If you only have <50 players online, 4 GB is enough.

As for your 10 IPv4s, just set up your DNS configuration so, that you have all those IPs in A-records over there, which means the client will always be routed to a different machine of yours, which means load balancing in this case. And this obviously works. If one machine is down, it does not affect much anyone, maybe a couple players, but that only requires a quick reconnect and they are back playing. Better than losing everybody and never going up again, right

BUT. This is only a thing you should consider if you want to go for cheap, very well DDoS protected setup that works. If you don't want a DDoS protected setup that works, then just go on with your current setup. That setup seems good, though yet a little bit expensive, maybe drop the 100 GB to something else such as 10 GB and RAM can just be 8 GB unless you run multiple servers, just put it on 10 GB. Not sure if they actually have less than 100 GB HDDs available, lol, but try it, if it is up for the money.