PC Shuts down when playing MTA

dansgas1000

Question

First of all, it's nothing to do with my PC hardware and only happens with MTA. I have an i7, GTX 760 and 16GB RAM. GTA IV, Battlefield 4, crysis 3 etc works fine after hours of gaming.

So it's been happening only on MTA for the last 1-2 months. I play for a while or even just get to the log in screen on the server i play (CIT) and my PC shuts down randomly! No BSOD, ive tried re-installing MTA and it still doesn't work, I have you wait some hours in order to use the PC again because it will not turn on from the power button.

Someone help please :(

18 answers to this question

• MTA Team

1) Check C:\Windows\Minidump and upload the latest file to: http://upload.mtasa.com/

2) Do a full virus scan

3) Remove networkx

4) Control Panel->System->Advanced System Settings->Startup and Recovery Settings->System failure:

* Uncheck 'Automatically restart'

* Select 'Small memory dump' from the drop down list

5) If PC still restarts, check C:\Windows\Minidump again and upload the latest file to: http://upload.mtasa.com/

• MTA Anti-Cheat Team

If MTA doesn't catch a crash, but it's located within SA or MTA, then you can try the following steps to generate an dumpfile if that's the case, for an crashing application.

Use notepad/wordpad, and enter this:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Error Reporting\LocalDumps\gta_sa.exe]

"DumpCount"=dword:00000002

"DumpFolder"=hex(2):63,00,3a,00,5c,00,64,00,75,00,6d,00,70,00,73,00,00,00

"DumpType"=dword:00000002

Save this with extension .reg, now run the file that can be named as for example catchdump.reg, and it will enable Windows crashdump writer on the specified application (SA) where normally it doesn't.

When it happens again, check if any dump is located in C:/dumps and if it's there provide it

To make sure (but unlikely) you can edit the reg to have Multi Theft Auto.exe in a new one, and also enable it for MTA, but as MTA has a good exception handler most likely won't be.

(If this doesn't work at all first check if you didn't disable the ''Windows Error Reporting'' service)

I done a full scan on Microsoft Security Essentials and it fixed both my disconnecting problem and shutting down problem, but today my PC shut down again, but luckily just restarted and didn't have to re-insert the power cable. I'm sure it's not my PC because MTA is the only thing it shuts down on.

but ill see how things go

• MTA Team

Are these settings are still set?

Control Panel->System->Advanced System Settings->Startup and Recovery Settings->System failure:

* Uncheck 'Automatically restart'

* Select 'Small memory dump' from the drop down list

• MTA Anti-Cheat Team

Try the following. First of all, enable ''show hidden files and folders'' in a random directory>map options in explorer if it doesn't already.

Now, go here: C:\Users\*Username*\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WER

or the correct stationletter.

Now look in both the directories there: ReportArchive, and ReportQueue

If there's any file there right now, or after such an crash/shutdown (look there a few times, try to focus on the moments it happens/has just happened) then open the most-of the times textfile (or open with editor) and put the contents here (long file so use an spoiler or pastebin)

It doesn't matter what the listed process is, whether it's MTA/GTA listed after something like ''AppCrash'' as something else can also be causing it together.

Most of these folders that contain info are within those folders (see above) and have a prefix such as [Critical-***] and in there is what we might need.

Hello, thanks for your reply. I enabled the show hidden files and folders option in Folder Options on the control panel, but for both ReportArchive and ReportQueue the last crash is set back to 08/11 for both (I sorted by date modified) and theres nothing with MTA on it (I tried GTA and it said gta 3 and gta 4 nothing like gta sa, and I wasn't getting confused with gta3.img or anything like that)

• MTA Team

The problem could be a virus (according to the MTADiag log, Microsoft Security Essentials real time scanning is disabled), or more likely, some hardware issue which is highlighted by the way MTA/GTA uses resources.

* Find a utility to monitor CPU temperature when MTA is running.

* Swap the PSU with a spare one.

The problem could be a virus (according to the MTADiag log, Microsoft Security Essentials real time scanning is disabled), or more likely, some hardware issue which is highlighted by the way MTA/GTA uses resources.

* Find a utility to monitor CPU temperature when MTA is running.

* Swap the PSU with a spare one.

I have already tried the CPU temp thing and it never really goes above 40c (i7 4770, stock clocks Cooler Master hyper 212 evo cpu cooler)

I can't see how it can be the PSU because as I say I can run games like BF4 for hours on end.

My PSU is Antec HCP-750.

Ill do one more fresh re-install of mta and ill post back results

• MTA Anti-Cheat Team
Hello, thanks for your reply. I enabled the show hidden files and folders option in Folder Options on the control panel, but for both ReportArchive and ReportQueue the last crash is set back to 08/11 for both

If you didn't find anything in the Minidump folder before, check if the WER service runs correctly

Go to run, and type ''services.msc'' then sort by W and find 'Windows Error Reporting' and see next time if there's a dump now

Also did you try the registry steps i posted before, so that you enable the crashdump catcher for where MTA doesn't recognize it or gta_sa process causes the shutdown? If you did, was there any dump in C:\dumps ?