Slow Download? Losing players? Read me.

codeluaeveryday

Hi there!

I'm Chris, I've just thought of a pretty nice idea which I can complete in 1 nights work and will guarantee your server faster download speeds. I've been working on numerous projects in my time, and I still have quiet a few I operate in. This one is a newer project that I'm extremely excited about, mainly because I was once annoyed by the slow upload speed on some of the servers.

You're probably thinking WHY should I use this service? That's an excellent question, and I'm going to answer it with proven facts. It has been proven in numerous studies that people do not like to wait any longer than 1 second to load a webpage, any longer and they start to leave. The similiar principle applies in a game server, I've joined servers with 60mb download and sat there for 30 minutes, when I could have been sitting there for 2 minutes. Our service provides a high-speed alternative to MTA's current web server, and for extremely cheap prices you could be getting a peace of it too. Lets say you also have a really slow bandwidth connection server and whenever someone's downloading it slows down the rest of the game-play, our service fixes this.

HOW is this all possible? Another good question! We have created a server-sided file which allows you to "PUSH" files to our web server or use the automatic feature. Here's a little demonstration on pushing files:

/push myResource client.lua 

Are my file's SECURED? Finally, the juicy part! The web server only needs to store the client-sided files. All the files that are hosted on our hosting platform are then redistributed to clients, the same way that MTA currently does it. We are also in the middle of discussing possible asset encryption, such as images as an extra paid service.

What do I get from this?

• Fast Download Speeds ( 1mbps + )
  • Stability and security
  • Automatic Compiler
  • File analytic's

How much will this service cost me?

Starting price: 2 British Pound for a month worth of hosting.

Addon Prices:

• Lua/MTA Compiler (1 British Pound per/m)
  • Depreciation Check and Repairs (0.50 British Pounds per/m)
  • File Encryption (1 British Pound per/m)
  • More features on the way

Lets say I wanted all of the above, each month I'd be spending 4.50 British Pound for astonishing download speeds which do not affect my server at all.

I'd like to see this in action!

I am living in Australia with a 10megabit per second download speed ( 1.25 megabytes per second ), and the server I'm connecting to will give me 330 + ping as its hosted in Europe. Now lets take a look at the video I recorded, or you can go to my server with the IP located under the video:

IP: 193.183.99.113:22000

This is mainly a planned idea, so I'd love to hear from the community how many people are willing to buy it, the reason is that paying for a good host is a pain in the ass if we don't have customers. So please respond below.

Reply if you are interested and think that you will benefit from this.

Cheers, Chris.

correct me if I'm wrong, but this is nothing more than a CDN ( content delivery network ) for scripts.

Something like this can be easily achieved using the external web server in MTA and nginx, nginx shines when it comes to static content, which is the only thing it will be serving.

Although the idea is nice, I personally don't see much use in a service that you can easily replicate on your own gameserver within an hour.

Yep, it's pretty much making use of the external web server. We've ran tests using Cloudflare CDN and we've found that it can be slower than the original host. If you're using a bad host then sure a CDN is appropriate, but our host is high speed. I'll explain why a CDN can be slower, mainly cause a CDN such as Cloudflare has millions of users flowing through their servers, for us it worked better to just use a static web host. If we get customers we may head for Windows Azure, but we don't know yet. Thanks :) It's just giving players extra options and for lower prices.