CPU for $137 USD

'LinKin

• MTA Team

I guess you meant the whole PC, not just CPU. Does that price include the operating system as well?

Looks okay for that price. Although it has a dated CPU, it can be upgraded later to an old today, but still quite good Ivy Bridge/3rd gen i5 or i7 cpu.

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/produc ... id=3970#sp

If you want to use it for gaming though, you will definitely want to buy a discrete graphics card and upgrade your RAM memory. Also I would check the PSU (Power Supply Unit) model you will be getting - you might have to replace it if it's some cheap OEM brand and want to replace your CPU or buy a graphics card in the future.

Yeah, it's not for gaming, just normal use and the only game I'd play would be MTA.

Also, it's only the CPU, not the whole PC. And yes it includes de OS also.

I didn't understand you this part: but still quite good Ivy Bridge/3rd gen i5 or i7 cpu.

What's lvy? And i5 / i7 is really out of my budget.

Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU G620 @ 2.60GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.6GHz 

That's a Pentium CPU, dual core and probably overclocked, in other words a pretty old CPU. You can probably get a new one for the same price, (Yes I read NEW in your main post), do you trust this person? if not it's probably some kind of scam.

My theory is that this person bought a CPU that isn't compatible for his system but didn't noticed it until after unboxing it, that's why the store won't let him return it and you have absolutely no idea what he have done to it, could be broken, could be missing important parts resulting in a damaged system etc.. If I where you I would rather buy a new one, even if it get's a few $ more expensive.

• MTA Team

Also, it's only the CPU, not the whole PC. And yes it includes de OS also.

By a 'whole PC' I meant a completely working PC case with all the components inside, rather than just a CPU (processor). Not necessary including a monitor or mouse/keyboard.

I didn't understand you this part: but still quite good Ivy Bridge/3rd gen i5 or i7 cpu.

What's lvy? And i5 / i7 is really out of my budget.

Ivy Bridge is a name of the third gen Intel Core processor microarchitecture. The Intel Pentium processor you'd have is based on a Intel Core second generation - Sandy Bridge.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandy_Bridge

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivy_Bridge ... chitecture)

And no, if you look for an aftermarket CPU (processor) upgrade, it might be not that expensive, yet it would still perform nicely. After all, there are newer processors nowadays (currently 4th gen, with a 5th gen just around the corner; both are unfortunately incompatible with that PC), so you might be able to get the older processors cheap.

I searched for this processor at intel website and it exists, just like it says it is.

So I don't think it's overclocked.

However I'm not a geek into these matters; jhxp, may I ask you why the 4th and 5th gen are incompatible with this PC?

How do you check/know that? Which parameters do you take into account?

The processor is listed at the Intel website, like all other Intel CPUs, but that doesn't mean it's not overclocked. Overclocking is increasing the clock speed of the processor cores.

may I ask you why the 4th and 5th gen are incompatible with this PC?

These are not compatible because they use a different socket. The 4th (Haswell) and 5th (Broadwell) generations use the LGA1150 socket, while the Intel Pentium G620 uses the LGA1155 socket.

What I didn't understand yet is what is the guy selling? The whole tower or just the processor (which are very different things)?

• MTA Team

Fourth and fifth gen (and most likely any future ones too) are incompatible with this PC because they use a different type of CPU socket.

You can check that on wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_In ... 2832_nm.29

The list is for i3 processors, but it's the same deal with celeron/pentium and i5/i7 as they are based on the same architecture. You will notice that Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge CPUs use the same socket, while Haswell (4th gen) uses a different one.