[Preview | Development] Debug Console

botder

• MTA Team

Hello everyone.

I am scripting a debug console, which should seperate the 3 types, info, warning and error and it allows custom types too.

Github: https://github.com/Necktrox/debugconsole

Take a look:

Small Preview (to fit forum width):

RTrejLh.png

Original size:

RzJD2Gh.png

Features:

• 3 Standard tabs for info, warning and error
  • Custom tabs for other purposes
  • Pause the debugconsole whenever you want (per tab)
  • Copy the debugmessage on click
  • Switch tabs using mouse
  • You can move the complete window
  • You can scroll with mouse wheel
  • Caches debug messages for tabs, which aren't visible
  • Ability to hide tabs by pressing on a text-button 'X'
  • Scrolling with click-and-move

Planned:

• API

Edited by Guest
  • MTA Team
Isn't that what the debugscript pretty much does?

Yes, but seperated.

It's useful when you have 5 resources, which output debug information, because you have either 5 tabs for each resource or an other tab solution.

• MTA Team

Had not that much time in the last days. The resource needs refactoring for some parts to avoid code repetition.

I added a close text-button (see 2nd image in the first post) and changed the code structure.

Just some questions:

• Should a tab get auto-created when outputting messages to an unknown tab name (my opinion: no)?

• Would you add something to the planned features?

There will be 2 functions: One function deletes the tab (and keeps the messages) and the second function clears the tab (deletes all the messages, but keeps the tab)

What I mean is for a new message type. Don't auto open the tab, but log that in case I decide I want to open it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • MTA Team

Update

As mentioned last time, I am not investigating all my time into this resource, so don't expect fast development.

Anyway, I added today the scrollbar inclusive scrolling with the mouse wheel. Going to add the click-and-move scrolling and API functionality later and finally release it.

Pictures from scrollbar (small & original):

RTrejLh.png

RzJD2Gh.png

P.S. I hope that no moderator will strike me down for double posting (after 1 week)

Great job, Neck. I do like the fact you also put down comments to help others understand how things are working, and even more so that you're spending so much time refactoring.

This looks like a very useful resource to me, especially if you have a few resources running and they all spit out various shit. I've never been a fan of the default debugscript, especially if something goes wrong with a render event :P

I'd agree with what Woovie said, also another suggestion I'd have is;

For example when something goes wrong with a function attached to a render event, it'll spam several of those warnings/errors per second - could you make it so they show up as one line? But the ability to collapse it?

Other than that, great work!

• MTA Team

I didn't do much in the last time (to be honest, nothing yet). Was only thinking about how to split the code actually and keep it simple (the current version is a 774 line long piece of code in one file).

What I am going to add

+ Resize (still not sure)

+ Tabmoving (e.g. split debug into 2+ windows with different tabs)

+ Remove the long "Server/Client" and time indicators

+ Add right-click-action for messages (where you can see some info (time received, server/client) in a hover-window)

+ Prevent spamming

+ Make scrollwheel jump page-wise

Should I add logging for the custom tabs, because right now only the default tabs (info, warning, error) have the MTA file-logging available.

• MTA Team

It's not only about debugging resource warnings/errors/bugs, you can also use it to show useful information when something happens without editing the resource (which output the debug message). And that's where the debugconsole has it advantage - you can seperate the messages into tabs.