GTA Drivetrain Simulator (Automatic/Manual Trans)

Novadex

Months ago i had seen numerous attempts at Manual and Automatic transmissions on MTA. Seeing that it was possible, i decided to throw something of my own together.

Today im going to release a demo of it, something i spent a couple days on. (Way too busy to have it done sooner).

25fhjko.png

GTA Drivetrain Simulator (Engine and Automatic/Manual Transmission Simulator) Demo

Features:

Automatic Transmission

The automatic transmission is equipped with a version of my own gear management, using numerous sensors of the vehicle that MTA allows, and three modes of forward navigation.

-Light driving.

Light driving mode is a gear management mode that uses the most economic gear while driving. Low throttle position, vehicle speed, and engine speed encourages this. The transmission will look for a gear within the engines economic/low portion of its power band and find a gear that matches the scenarios presented and engine speed.

-Moderate driving.

Moderate driving mode, is a mode used for that extra power when passing a vehicle. In most vehicles, pressing the gas pedal down a little more to pass a vehicle, causes the computer to find a gear with the most of power and economy in mind. The computer searches for a gear within the economic but most powerful portion of the engine's powerband, and shifts to it, unless near the revlimiter or abnormally high engine speed marker.

-Max Power driving

This driving mode is used when full throttle is specified, or when the throttle is pressed passed the moderate driving mode throttle max position (and a couple other variables at the time). The computer finds the lowest gear below redline, and shifts to it. This uses all of the available engine power for the time the scenario calls for it.

-Vehicle Slowdown anti trans jerking

When slowing down, (The brake is pressed) the transmission will stay in gear, until the brake is depressed, or abnormally low engine rpm is detected. After being pressed, the engine will shift. This is so while slowing down, the transmission doesn't constantly shift between gears for the current speed (In case you are driving an 18 speed in game). If you slow down, without pressing the brake, the engine will cycle through all appropriate gears however.

Manual Transmission

In other mods, shifting into reverse is somewhat achieved but due to MTA limitations, allow for other problems. (Driving in neutral for example..) So reverse is just going in reverse on the controller, afterwards the vehicle is automatically put in first.

There is no clutch, small things like that make a game a pain in the ass to play. Theres realistic, and theres too realistic. If i have to do too much, i don't want to play it.

All forward gears are just a simple click to shift. There is no neutral, as its not needed.

Controls

l "L" will push start vehicle. Hold it down, to start it. Press again while running to turn off the engine.

Joy8 or "." will upshift, Joy7 or "," will downshift.

The simulator also features many other things that aren't necessary to the fast paced players eyes (as some don't care for it). Engine and Transmission Odometers (For servers that use milage warranty for engine or trans parts) temperatures, induced air boost meters, Fuel (Is seen) and active fuel consumption realistically calculated and many others that aren't the big topic (but are necessary to computer decisions).

Transmissions also feature real gear ratios and unlimited gears. The Semi (Linerunner) uses a tremec 6 speed, with a certain model i have picked gear ratios. The hotring racer uses a Borg Warner T10 set of ratios.

This Demo only works on the LineRunner (Since its automatic, Analog stick gas pedal recommended to use modes. Button pressed gas pedal will only show up as full throttle.) and the hotring racer uses the manual.

The zip also features a tachometer and vehicle replacement scripts for realism and test purposes. Both open source, so take whatever, its simple stuff. Run all three resources for best experience

The DTS (Drive train simulator) source is closed. (Source will be released to project managers and server owners that can make this project better). I may not have much time to work on this (Business/MMOs/Hobbys etc) so if you have a big interest in making this a better project or would like to collaborate with me on a project, let me know with proof of past project completions so i know you arent some kid who found out about MTA 45 minutes ago.

When i make this open to server owners, the main script will be closed, but the vehiclelist will allow owners to place vehicle performance information for each vehicle. (There are a lot of parameters..) Currently that is closed too.

Enjoy. http://www.mediafire.com/download/scul2sn805iye7w/Demo.zip.

-Novadex/GhostXoP Team Mgr.

Edited by Guest
Months ago i had seen numerous attempts at Manual and Automatic transmissions on MTA.

Is that a reference to my work? :D

Absolutely, yours was truely the best one around when i was looking for them. Would of been so much better if i could make a video of mine to display its features, but my sound card doesnt support what-you-hear recording. Sound was the best part in my opinion.

Months ago i had seen numerous attempts at Manual and Automatic transmissions on MTA.

Is that a reference to my work? :D

Absolutely, yours was truely the best one around when i was looking for them. Would of been so much better if i could make a video of mine to display its features, but my sound card doesnt support what-you-hear recording. Sound was the best part in my opinion.

You're talking about a plural, I would be interested to see what else have you seen besides my 'thing', if I may ask? :)

You don't need to use Stereo Mix to record desktop audio. Most recording software records desktop audio either way, not to mention using Stereo Mix would likely make it appear out of sync.

I might give it a whirl later, possibly record it for you if desired.

Edit:

Okay, I gave it a quick go and for being a demo - it's not too bad. If you want some feedback, here's what I've got to say;

Good:

• Tachometer seems to work nicely, smooth and no hiccups.

• Shifting feels pretty responsive, simulated clutching would be cool.

• Nice to see that fuel simulation is being implemented to some extent as well.

Bad:

• Sound effects are absolutely horrendously bad, no idea what made you think it was the best part. I think it is by far the worst.

• Rev limiter doesn't sound nor feel realistic, especially for a NASCAR(Hotring).

• Bullet doesn't work (Understand it's a demo. Starts automatically and no engine sound)

And to be blunt, I find Topo's project to be more interesting and well-made. But I don't want to discourage you, you've done a great job so far. Maybe the both of you could work together...?

And please, just add some basic on-screen text whether GUI Labels or DX Text for the other information instead of spamming the outbox chat - it would be much easier to read.

And to be blunt, I find Topo's project to be more interesting and well-made.

I wouldn't start comparing these two (mine and Novadex's) projects yet. Novadex just unveiled the first tasting of his project, while I've been working on mine for almost two years. :wink:

I'll look forward for more progress. :D

And to be blunt, I find Topo's project to be more interesting and well-made. But I don't want to discourage you, you've done a great job so far. Maybe the both of you could work together...?

How is it well made, if its closed source? You never even tested the automatic, Which will require analog gas/braking for best experience. You only tested the manual which was the smallest part of this project. If you just use a keyboard or something other than analog controls for such, you will only full throttle the drive train and you'll only use one mode. (Just like you would in any automatic vehicle). It will sound terrible, because the semi has barely any room to play with engine speed wise, and full throttling it will make it run through each gear in a quick and ugly manner. Your use does show that all core mechanics work. Anything that doesn't, isn't expected to (Or isn't listed.......)

• Sound effects are absolutely horrendously bad, no idea what made you think it was the best part. I think it is by far the worst.

Sound was my favorite, but not the major point here. I sadly wont be touching it for a while.

Rev limiter doesn't sound nor feel realistic, especially for a NASCAR(Hotring).

Simple fix

Bullet doesn't work (Understand it's a demo. Starts automatically and no engine sound)

Lol cant imagine how it starts, considering its not a listed test vehicle in the demo.. Just the replacement i left for past test purposes.

And to be blunt, I find Topo's project to be more interesting and well-made

I've left only 30% of the features to be seen by testers. (Because i don't have a gauge face resource, none of it can be seen)

The resource also simulates heat spread and intensity between engine coolant, transmission fluid, and the supercharger/turbocharger boost is also available but not used.

Nice to see that fuel simulation is being implemented to some extent as well.

It's fully done, but because you cant see its measurement on a meter, you assume its terrible and crudely implemented. There are several variables involving how much fuel is consumed at a certain point in time. None of which are main point right now. Simulated clutching will never be added.

And please, just add some basic on-screen text whether GUI Labels or DX Text for the other information instead of spamming the outbox chat - it would be much easier to read.

I'm just outputting 5% of the debug from the drive train simulator for what will be on a gauge face resource. Since there is no meter for it right now, its going there.

You don't need to use Stereo Mix to record desktop audio. Most recording software records desktop audio either way, not to mention using Stereo Mix would likely make it appear out of sync.

Do tell, i have none of the needed recording devices. Which hold me to recording audio and video separate, and no one likes that. Unless you have a better solution.

It seems as if there was just one real Con. Ill run with that :) Thanks for your test, first actual input i've gotten this week

This is why I usually don't try to provide feedback, because the developer is always offended and has to go super defensive.

@Automatic/Manual;

Of course I will be trying the manual simulation, I couldn't care less for the automatic. It's in by default, though not simulation obviously. But if I want simulation in MTA - I want it manual, nothing else.

@Sound;

Reason why I disliked the sound is because the actual audio file itself is terrible, it's far too loud and distorted. It kind of remind of indie racing games from the 90s. It doesn't sound the slightest realistic, Topo has some pretty decent sound effects going on - but I won't be comparing his to yours anymore as you're obviously offended by it.

@Bullet;

You never listed what vehicle(s) had been changed, so obviously I looked at the replaced models and assumed those were the ones. Clearly, it wasn't.

@Simulated Fluids;

Sounds great and all, but I find it hard to believe that you simulate this(and what difference does it make?) in MTA - where games such as Forza, Gran Turismo, iRacing, rFactor amongst other true simulators do not(Do correct me if I'm wrong)?

@Fuel;

I never said nor assumed the fuel consumption is terrible - in fact, I did actually test it while on idle as well as holding the handbrake to increase the throttle - as well as a noticable change whilst driving. You're the one assuming things here, not me. Just because I said "to some extent" it doesn't mean I disliked it. I just don't understand why you would spam it onto the chat rather than display it via on-screen text(or logging, which you might have done) since it makes it easier to read and analyze.

I still stand by the point it would be easier to debug by having it visually presented on the screen, as it would be easier to notice changes rather than having to look at the chat being spammed by messages - trying to see if there was a change. :P But each to their own, if you prefer it that way - by all means.

@Recording;

Audio is automatically output via a Speaker/Sound Card or USB Device(headset). There's a lot of recording software out there that allow you to change the audio source(aforementioned devices). Not sure what you mean with having none of the needed recording devices :/

Either way, good luck with your project. As I said, it's not bad. But I will not be testing this further as I can not stand people that can not take criticism without being offended.

Sounds great and all, but I find it hard to believe that you simulate this(and what difference does it make?) in MTA - where games such as Forza, Gran Turismo, iRacing, rFactor amongst other true simulators do not(Do correct me if I'm wrong)?

Temperatures make a difference on which gear is selected and what condition the motor is in. Gear slippage occurs when the gears condition is very low (Because of high temperatures and engine speed on shift). Its really to simulate wear and tear on a parts of the motor and transmission.

You wont see any of this (or any other features currently under the hood) as nobody will use it. I tried to make it as real as i possibly could (College was a journey of Automotive and Math classes) All of which i loved. I tried to apply all of it in this as best as i could. I also wanted it to be used by others, so i left all features any player would generally care about (and put the rest behind the scenes). I'm not some 12 year old, with no experience in design. I've written software since i've been in highschool, and i've been out of college for quite some time. Many would expect a new user for MTA forums to put "New user" quality resources. Theres a lot more than what you see here.

Reason why I disliked the sound is because the actual audio file itself is terrible, it's far too loud and distorted. It kind of remind of indie racing games from the 90s.

Im sure you have heard a Nascar stock car, the sound coming from the tail pipe is well..

What tail pipe?

@Bullet;

You never listed what vehicle(s) had been changed, so obviously I looked at the replaced models and assumed those were the ones. Clearly, it wasn't.

This Demo only works on the LineRunner (Since its automatic, Analog stick gas pedal recommended to use modes. Button pressed gas pedal will only show up as full throttle.) and the hotring racer uses the manual.

Apparently you just looked for a link, downloaded the resource, and checked the meta file.

@Recording;

Audio is automatically output via a Speaker/Sound Card or USB Device(headset). There's a lot of recording software out there that allow you to change the audio source(aforementioned devices). Not sure what you mean with having none of the needed recording devices :/

Theres a list of devices required for recording visual And audio. If you dont have any of them, you can only record audio and record video separate. (Why they can't do both, beats me. But if you can find one that can do what the recorders ive found so far cant, im all ears)

I'm not against your criticism, i'm just not use to hearing about it for a while. (I'm usually writing my own projects for myself). Yours is as natural as anyone elses, i'm not offended. I just need to get over it. I really am happy you actually tested it though, it seems everyone just looked at it said "cool" and left.

Im sure you have heard a Nascar stock car, the sound coming from the tail pipe is well..

What tail pipe?

Oh you'd be so, so surprised if you actually knew me. I regularly attend Drag Race events over here in Sweden, down in Sundsvall and where I live, Östersund - and some other events when there are any. So yes, I have seen and heard a real NASCAR in action - have you...?

I'm an owner of 2 muscle cars, one with 396cui V8 and the other a 402cui - I know what a V8 should sound like. I know what they're like to drive. I never said it doesn't sound like a NASCAR, but rather the quality of it is as bad as it possibly could be. Of course the cars are loud when you drive with open headers - I've done it myself with my Camaro.

I'm an owner of 2 muscle cars, one with 396cui V8 and the other a 402cui

When you get the chance, get a vid of those suckers running.

Otherwise, cool story. I have grown to like the sound, but realized after some comparisons that it was pretty distorted.

Update

Speaking of 396 however. I tried a little harder on the sound in this update.

Some minor tweaks to the drive train simulation, with more realistic numbers. Along with a less annoying interface, just for you.

The demo vehicle featured:

1970 Chevelle SS 396 (Sabre) 3 Speed Manual with 3.31 Rear end.

Trans ratios:

Reverse 2.07:1

First 2.48:1

Second 1.48:1

Third 1.00:1

http://www.mediafire.com/download/s5s9ao13cqbuq5u/Demo2.zip

24y44tf.jpg

Use all resources for best experience

If you indeed are so inclined of proof, I'll try to record a video for you, since I'm sure photos won't convince you.

I'd love to record them running, but have disassembled their carburetors for the typical winter restoration. And new MSD distributors! :)

Camaro's currently in a(small) garage, but I'll try. The Caprice's outdoors so that'll be no problem.

As for the update, I might try it again later.

It's so good to see you are already light years ahead of me. It's so sad that my clutch isn't as advanced as yours! The car even sounds so good, that when I tested it, I thought a car drove INTO my house. I had to check there really wasn't a car in my kitchen!

I have to say you REALLY deserve that praise you got from those mountain hillbillies you told me about. An "amateur pre-puberty kid" (Or how was it? My English is so crappy, I can't understand everything I read) like me will NEVER be able to create a DESIGN like that! With one .wav, and one script.

Keep up the good work while I keep working with my bitch-ass project.