Building my own PC (How to build it and What should I get)

Jaysds1

Hey all,

As the title says it, I want to build my own PC but I don't know what to get.

Here's what I'm looking for,

I am trying to pay less than or equal to $500, and I want like an everyday use computer that I could use to play games, record games, edit videos, and code.

That's all I'm looking for.

The site I was trying to use to look for computer parts is TigerDirect.

Edited by Guest

PCPartPicker is a nice website to make a build. Also, users can share their builds and receive feedback. Anyway, it kind of depends on how heavy the games and video editing are, but don't expect too much for $500. Also, does that budget include peripherals?

• MTA Team

The Geforce GT610 is a really low-end card. You might not be able to play resource intensive games on it (as in, any modern game released in the last 5 years or so), as it will give you terrible performance.

With that kind of budget, you might be better off looking for an aftermarket build or parts if you're aiming for performance.

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/QBYvsY

The case, keyboard and mouse (and even monitor) are more of a personal choice, you may change it if you want.

This includes peripherals, but it does not include operating system and storage. If you really need those things, you're gonna have to stretch that a lot. If you already have an hard disk and wanted a SSD, you may temporarily use the hard disk for the OS and later buy an SSD (or were you thinking in using an SSD to store all your files too? SSDs with 120GB are already as expensive as an 1TB hard disk - that's not a lot of space). Can't you get the operating system from a friend? Also, don't you have any components or peripherals laying around you might be able to reuse? Like an hard disk from another computer that isn't being used, a monitor, or even a keyboard would already make a difference.

SSDs have nothing to do with RAM, so that certainly won't be a problem. Now, PCI Express has always been backwards and forward-compatible, so as long as PCI-E is not discontinued and compatibility is not broken, graphics card incompatibilities shouldn't be a problem.

Being forced to upgrade hardware to be able to use new technologies is something everyone has to do once in a while. You can be smart and choose technologies that you know will stay in the market (e.g. Intel announces that there will be a new CPU generation using the same socket) or you can be dumb, but with $600 and with everything you want, you don't have many choices. In fact, you can't even fit the requirements in your budget, which to me seem like just random choices.

• 4 weeks later...

You'll need to know if it's compatible. If it's an old PC, it might use DDR2, which is very expensive right now. You also should see how many sticks are in use and how many slots are available - modern desktop motherboards only support dual channel (2 RAM sticks working as a single one). If you put three sticks on a dual channel board, each stick will work independently and you'll lose performance, although you might not even notice it. It seems 4 sticks on a dual channel board will work though, each pair working as a single one.