Article: The Car Kill

ijsf

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nice review, i agree with what he's saying there, cars r fine to deal with, i think its the same mentality from ppl who say the stubby or m60 is way too powerful or whatever, thats just cos they dont know what they r doing, which is the same with ppl who get killed by cars, so they resort to car killing. This probably does put ppl off gta3:mta a bit, that and the lack of servers.

Ah well FMJ are starting a 16 player gta3 server this week, so we shall see how popular it gets compared to the vc one ;)

Was one hard fight to continue reading after seeing that posty was quoted in the article. Along came loendal though so I guess I will live.

"The only playable gta 3 server doesnt allow carkills, do you think that is right?" is the basic point in the article ?

No I guess I dont think that is right.

I definitely think car kills should be in the game.

As stated in the article, what you have to remember is, that the very few times someone actually hits another person with their car, all they will have accomplished is an interruption of other people´s fights.

Was one hard fight to continue reading after seeing that posty was quoted in the article. Along came loendal though so I guess I will live.

You know what, tell me why the fuck you have a problem with me. Not to start a flame war in this thread, but shut the fuck up. I haven't done shit to you mother fucker.

I think if there were more GTA3 servers, there wouldn't be a problem. No-one is ever going to reach an agreement as to whether it's good or bad, so if there were more servers, people would have the choice as to whether to join a server that allows car killing or join one that doesn't.

Also, it'd be good to get the bug fixed where it reports the wrong player killing someone, because then admins could use scripts to kick carkillers should they wish to.

I would think that if not being allowed to car kill on a server is your main concern then trying to arrange one where you COULD might be an answer for you.

Nicely written article on the whole, but really it all boils down to this seen near the end. Quote:'Here is the final word: As long as there is a balance between car killing and getting out of your car and using your weapons, you are doing the right thing.' Which is the problem. There is nothing wrong with someone whistling the first chorus of a Busted song. It's when they whistle it over and over and over and over and over again without pausing to draw breath that it becomes an irritation not an entertainment, and so it is with car kills.

Its the people who car kill and car kill only, the ones that run to the next car as if terrified to face thier fellow players and let off a few hopeful shots in thier direction, these are the ones that fracture the thin ice of playability and cause people to plunge into the icy depths of typed insults and remote server bans. As i think has been covered pretty well in this thread up to now.

Edit: A key point I forgot to mention: It is entirely up to those providing the server exactly what rules they apply to it. A host/ Admin can make a rule against saying FishFingers if they like. Nobody forces you to play there.

Edited by Guest

i was playing with him last night, lol, guess he got steamed :P

EDIT: im reply to Oli's post, no, its in no way to be compared with the m60......

more like to 0.2's favorite cheater weapon the minigun,

1 hit kills arent kool, especially when you spend money

to buy guns (money is not stored like scores are, so,

even if you spend no money, you lose 2000 of your

4000 hard earned dollars).

i think that car kills are totally lame, a calculated car kill is perfectly fine,

but seeing 9 people in a ammunation-war, and running them all down,

thats just lame.

but, i wont let this turn into a argument, i love the article. :)

I didn't want to register on there just to give my opinion to the one guy who posts there and doesn't even play MTA.

It's safe to say I am the unnamed party in that article. PartyServer LC is the GTA3 server with the most people and lowest ping and I am the person who made the "Avoid car kills" rule.

KFC Nutz who runs the server told me he felt car kills were annoying but we have to live with them. I told him what we were up to and he didn't tell me to stop. I will let him know how it has been going and get his feedback. It's ultimately his call but I have been given some say as to what the policy is and we are normally on the same page.

I also need to get a hold of him to get the MOTD posted... sorry about that.

About the issue directly thou...

Back in version 0.3 many servers put a ban on helikilling. They felt it was a noobish way to kill and it disrupted the far more honorable way to kill, namely glitching with the stubby... it's funny even to type that... but it's true.

PartyServer was a no holds barred server. The thinking is that if it's not cheating it should be allowed. Helikilling was not as easy as some said it was and even thou the car killers and heli killers were called noobs and lamers by people who played they were never kicked. Same as today in PartyServer VC

My point about GTA3 killing was overlooked in Jordan's article thou, even thou it was in the same thread as posty and loendal. My reason for talking about Helikills is that they are the closest thing to GTA3 car kills.

The difference:

- In GTA3 people work hard to survive and accumulate money

- Car kills are instant

- Car killers do not get credit for the kill... So you can't hunt them down as Jordan suggested if you don't know who they are.

I am hard to hit with a car. I am not a noob who doesn't watch his radar I have been playing MTA for a long time and I am if not the best at it certainly one of them.

GTA3 Car killing disrupts the competion by stealing the weapons and money from the victim, awarding money to a random 3rd party and giving the killer no credit. You could accumulate the most money without running anyone down or killing with guns if you are in the right place at the right time... Even if the instakill was credited correctly it would be an easier pill to swallow.

If this were Vice City I imagine it wouldn't matter what one server did in relation to another. The market would decide and people would play where they wanted. We may have a quasi monopoly on LC right now and some people who disagree with the rules but love the version and server are frustrated.

I want to make the most people happy and not a vocal minority. These servers that Nutz set up were meant to be widely appealing and open from restrictions. This car kill thing is the first time we ever tried to put a restriction on legal gameplay. It maybe wrong who knows and I might try it the other way but I assume I will hear as many complaints from the other side.

P.S.

Also the current policy is to give the person who car kills several warnings before slapping them to death with admin or kicking them. We have not as far as I know ever banned a car killer. Even in that server car killing is not cheating and they deserve the benefit of the doubt because it can be done so easy that you may not be able to avoid it.

I agree with MrBump.Even though I know that you can look at the radar to dodge the cars,it's not that simple,I mean,I'm dodging a guy trying to shoot me down with a shotgun while somebody on the right/left is trying to use the flamethrower on us,it's not like we have the time to look at the radar and dodge the car...

1 thing that pisses me off,is the constant repetition of car kills,specially when their specs/conection aren't very good..It' just shooting,watching them blow up and appear again...

But by far the most bloody annoying thing is the car lamer that runs people over as soon as they get out of the shop..I for one,when I'm done shopping,I always have a certain worry about exiting the shop,after all,there are noobs waiting near the shop just to run u over..

In conclusion,for my thoughts,I'd say the instant death is fine,but I think the people ran over by the car shouldn't lose money..Also after exiting the shop menu,people should be spawned,let's say,on a car-less area.

(Shop wars aren't lame Kent!It's handy when you kill somebody and have the shop right next to u to spend the money :wink: )

my only point about the ammunation wars is that it is not much different than car killing...

people will get just as pissed off to get killed right after buying their AK47 or flamethrower by some guy who's killing people as they pop out.... and then get their gun..

its GTA guys, its not fair... but everyone in the game is on the same playing field, adapt, thats the name of the game.

my only point about the ammunation wars is that it is not much different than car killing...

people will get just as pissed off to get killed right after buying their AK47 or flamethrower by some guy who's killing people as they pop out.... and then get their gun..

its GTA guys, its not fair... but everyone in the game is on the same playing field, adapt, thats the name of the game.

ill assume that means, car lame as good as noobs?

hehe, ok. :lol:

KFC Nutz who runs the server told me he felt car kills were annoying but we have to live with them. I told him what we were up to and he didn't tell me to stop. I will let him know how it has been going and get his feedback. It's ultimately his call but I have been given some say as to what the policy is and we are normally on the same page.

I personally don't have a problem with car kills because I usually watch my back and jump right over their car. I can see how less experienced players could be turned off by it so it's probably best to outlaw it.

I'll update the MOTDs tonight.

I personally don't have a problem with car kills because I usually watch my back and jump right over their car. I can see how less experienced players could be turned off by it so it's probably best to outlaw it.

I'll update the MOTDs tonight.

oops.. umm hold up on that Nutz

I saw Jordan in the server with a few others and thought we could try it with car kills in to see how bad it could be.

Honestly it's must be because of the stress involved with enforcing the rule, but it was more fun. Very annoying when get killed but it's better than arguing all the time too.

I think it would be fair and smart to allow the carkills until we get enough feedback saying they should be outlawed again. People who love this version have few other and no better options than partyserver. So let's see how it goes for now at least.

Yeah, I actually find that car killing makes it more fun, because you get more adreniline when you are being chased by a car and you have good guns.

When Ghengis 'enabled' car killing on the server, I found that there were more intense battles between 4+ players.

I have no problem about being killed by cars personally, but if I see one person who never exits his car, I get annoyed and usually just go for a fly.

Now what a second.. let's think about this. That means you will have to stop EVERYONE from car killing = alot of kicking and banning. Let's not forget the name "GTA" basically refers to cars.

Now if you are just in a closed group, give the ol "no car killing speach" .. but in a public server .. most people don't even read the MODT, especially "noobs". So having no car kills will be a kicking/whining/banning fest for the most part.

Also it's not impossible in any way to dodge cars, it can be done and perhaps with ease for some. People that are having a tougher time with car kills most likely don't quite utilize their radar and other such tools keeping then informed of cars and out of harms way.

Sometimes if you are in a duel with say 4 people around you, perhaps you aren't paying too much attention to radar and then you get smashed into a wall by a hunk of metal on wheels but that's that, keeps you on your toes so to speak.

For the most part it seems some people just want to be lazy, run around with a weapon, find people and not worry about anything else.. this is indeed GTA.. watch for cars and other such dangerous things (choppers, etc.). Keep your eyes open and be aware of you surroundings and you should be fine.

'TIP OF THE DAY' If a car is coming at you, move. Laugh.

Move left, right, back... even to the front, run at at the car and then just "jump". An experienced player can look at the radar with the car coming form behind, not even actually seeing the car but just the radar and still dodge it with ease. Sometimes you even bait the car so to speak.. waiting for it to get close enough pretending as if you have no idea it's there and then quickly pulling a dodging maneuver.

-DooN

Edited by Guest
Yeah, I actually find that car killing makes it more fun, because you get more adreniline when you are being chased by a car and you have good guns.

This is exactly why I prefer to play GTA3:MTA over VC. There is much more excitement in the gameplay. Gun battles are longer and more interesting, you have to always watch your back, and even car chases are much more exciting.

Also, Here's a tip:

When someone won't get out of their car and is repeatedly trying to run you over, shoot at them with the handgun. For some reason the Colt45 sets occupied cars on fire faster than any other gun. It will still take 15-20 shots for a new car but it doesn't take long :)

Now what a second.. let's think about this. That means you will have to stop EVERYONE from car killing = alot of kicking and banning. Let's not forget the name "GTA" basically refers to cars.

Now if you are just in a closed group, give the ol "no car killing speach" .. but in a public server .. most people don't even read the MODT, espcially "noobs". So having no car kills will be a kicking/whining/banning fest for the most part.

Also it's not impossible in any way to dodge cars, it can be done and perhaps with ease for some. People that are having a tougher time with car kills most likely don't quite utilize their radar and other such tools keeping then informed of cars and out of harms way.

Sometimes if you are in a duel with say 4 people around you, perhaps you aren't paying too much attention to radar and then you get smashed into a wall by a hunk of metal on wheels but that's that, keeps you on your toes so to speak.

For the most part is seems some people just want to be lazy, run around with a weapon, find people and not worry about anything else.. this is indeed GTA.. watch for cars and other such dangerous things (choppers, etc.). Keep your eyes open and be aware of you surroundings and you should be fine.

'TIP OF THE DAY' If a car is coming at you, move. Laugh.

Move left, right, back... even to the front, run at at the car and then just "jump". An experienced player can look at the radar with the car coming form behind, not even actually seeing the car but just the radar and still dodge it with ease. Sometimes you even bait the car so to speak.. waiting for it to get close enough pretending as if you have no idea it's there and then quickly pulling a dodging maneuver.

-DooN

Yeah,

This is basically the point that made me rethink PartyServer's policy regarding car kills. DooN pretty well crystalized what is my reasoning to allow car killing from here on out.

this point compounded with the idea that new players might only play in our server made me rethink this.

I do not want a new player to get kicked for car killing after not reading the MOTD and have this turn him off of this verison of MTA

I would like people to have a positive first impression of this game so the demand for more servers grows and the LC version becomes as popular as the VC one is now.

so this is it? car killing will be allowed on the PARTYSERVER from now on?

what about those of us who dont like it?

ive found no trouble in the past informing people that car killing isnt allowed, and even if they dont know that when they join the server (although i think the vast majority of newbies know exactly what it is), they will know once they run someone over because people will tell them. they will only get voted out or kicked if they do it again, and again, after a few warnings. i have never seen people unfairly kicked off the server for car killing, without having a chance to change their ways. and i just do not see the arguement that it is too much of a hassle to enforce the rule. i have had no trouble in the past votekicking car killers with the approval of most of the server, so i dont think the job it is too tough for the admins.

the issue here isnt what everyone is making it out to be, ie, learning to dodge cars and watching your back. i know perfectly well how to do that but i still dont want car killing to be allowed. the major problem with car killing allowed is that there are MANY noobs who come to the server to car kill, and only car kill. you can dodge them for 5 minutes, shoot up their car, but all they will do is sprint to the nearest vehicle and start the process all over again. these people are extremely annoying and most of the time they are not not worth chasing.

i also do not enjoy the 'rush' of dodging cars when fighting in, say, a big gun battle at ammunation. it IS NOT fair to go out and manage to shoot and kill a couple of people without dying yourself, finally being able to buy that AK or flamethrower, then getting run over all of the sudden by an infernus going 120mph, losing ALL of your hard earned weapons, and 1000 dollars in cash.

the only true solution to this issue would be to have two seperate good servers - one with car killing allowed, and one with car killing banned. this is only possible though if the GTA3 community grows because right now, there are rarely ever over 20 people playing GTA3:MTA on all servers combined.