Can i host my own server?

Guest CiTy_LiGhT

I was just browsing my puter and i found this server admin thing in my MTA folder and i was just wondering if i can host my own server? or do i need to use something else :?

Yes you can host your server which has been stated in many other threads. Basically if you have it open the Server config tool or if not open the serverconfig.cfg with notepad or something and edit the parts that don't have # next to them. Then save that file once you've finished and open MTAServer.exe, then you have it. If you want admin just open the admin panel and type the ip of your computer, then the port you set admin ort to be, then the password you set. Hope it works :)

Here's another server question I have not been able to find an answer for.

Does the server have to run within the GTA directories, or am I correct in thinking it is a completely stand-a-lone program that can be run on a machine that doesn't have GTA or GTA-VC installed?

GTA:VC is by far the most popular of the two on MTA. GTA:VC does not crash nearly as much as GTA3 (at least for me), but i still prefer GTA3 because of its money system which VC does not have, and its Turismo races. plus i like the GTA3 atmosphere in general more than VC's, so that influences my opinion.

it is just a matter of preference though.