MTABOT

The fact that he was able to create a bot that could do all of this means that he is a competent coder.

Competent coder? Please define competence for me then...

If packet sniffing traffic and simply mimiccing the behaviour now is the factor required to produce good software then we'd be loaded with great software right now, which just isn't the case.

I read through the ideas the creator left in his gui and they don't make much sense (As I said before, I did the 'bot'-thing and took my conclusions with regards to the protocol. I won't say I'm right, but he is definitely wrong on some cases, which proofs he's mimiccing, not intelligently implementing the protocol).

Secondly. If he intended to produce a 'fair' playing bot I guess he didn't thought through the consequences it might have had (and is having right now). I personally think some knowledge in predicting what might happen in the future (in software terms, actually 'predicting' the future is quite impossible ;)) is necessairy in creating good software.

All I can say in favour of the creator is that he codes VB and knows how to handle packet sniffing, nothing more, nothing less...

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the main concern at this point is how to stop this bot before it becmoes a serious problem (more so). Think of the possibilities here.. u could be having a 1 on 1 with someone and then suddenly 10 bots appear infront of u and kill u instantly.

I have done all i can to prevent people using this bot at this time, by scripting out the commands and a few other things. I have also taken a look at the code and it appears the commands cannot be simply hex editied.. there is at least some form of encryption on them, so thats also a good thing.

I believe the key to stopping this at this time is to find a way of telling between a client/player and a bot. Once this is done a small adjustment to the server could detect it and ban it. Or even an addition to the admin program (although server would be preferable).

If there is no tell then there would need to be a modification to the client aswell. I know the MTA team most likely dont want that, so i hope there is an easier way.

This would be how to stop a bot in the server. The Bot client returns a null ping to the server, so we can easly detect if its a bot or not. This ping is not 0 but a null: MTA:ma reads the ping as nothing. I cant add that command to mta.join since anyone who joins the server has a null ping. I've added it to the mta.pm because this is were bot is mostly control (the only thing that can be controled form the GUI interface is the coord. of the bot and if you want to simulated a die). You could also add that command to the mta.kill.

alias mta.pm {

if ($mta.ping($1,$2) == $null) {

mta.say $1 $mta.name($1,$2) $+ : Suspected BOT usage (BOT: $mta.name($1,$mta.getid($1,$3)) $+ )

mta.ban $1 $2

mta.ban $1 $mta.getid($1,$3)

}

}

I can't believe people thought to be cheat-free are using it to cheat. It seems that everytime the MTA Team comes up with a better Anti-Cheat, someone comes up with a better cheat. The number of cheaters was significantly reduced with the release of 0.4, but then this program, which as I understand from Oli and the others' posts can be used to overkill everyone in the server, was released.

I am one of the admins of the 4:20 server (when its up).

Anyone caught using any bot on our server gets a permanent ban.

Anyone in a clan caught using a bot. the ENTIRE CLAN gets a permanent ban.

For you clan members out there. Make sure your clan mates are not using bots.

If your clan gets banned because of one player, Tough. Choose your friends well.

off topic: My sympathy's to the dev's of MTA. I cant imagine having invested so much time, money and effort into MTA to have someone dump a pile of crap on it like this. Its things like this thats makes good programs go away. Please keep up the fight.

yes, that would be nice in the future, but right now we are trying to stop the use of bots for various reasons, but the most important one is: ANY MODDING OF THE CLIENT/SERVER IS FORBIDDEN. So if the MTA-team implements bots in future releases (not asking for info, just assuming) then these bots are completely legal and probably disabled in abusive situations.

But that isn't happening right now is it? So please stop saying that these bots could come in use because they are a pain in the ass right now, we can start thinking about implementing these later, let's first get rid of them.

Oops, seems ive made an error (just copyed the code i made for mta.join and pasted it into mta.pm). Since this code isn't unsed in mta.join, we need to check if the person the pm is sent to is a bot ($2 is the person the pm comes from). This should work (dunno if it still works when some1 sends a pm to player id -> #0 for exemple).

alias mta.pm {

if ($mta.ping($1,$mta.getid($1,$3)) == $null) {

mta.say $1 $mta.name($1,$2) $+ : Suspected BOT usage (BOT: $mta.name($1,$mta.getid($1,$3)) $+ )

mta.ban $1 $2

mta.ban $1 $mta.getid($1,$3)

}

}

since this bot has started taking over servers and annoying everyone on MTA, I did a lot of research on cheat/mod-sites, and the creator of the bot stated that he also has a mIRC-script that can stop the bot, because he says there is a built-in recognition thingy in the bot that can always recognise the program. I hope he releases the script or that at least someone finds what he is talking about. It might be somewhere in the code, or just a way on how it handles certain commands, I don't know.

He also said there will be no next version and no fix for the mIRC-detection.

I hope this is all true and that a solution can be found quickly, in mean time I will be doing anything to get my hands on that script.

if you read the entire topic, u would know that this bot has spread incredibily fast, and that within one or two days hundred people had it, and I might not be talking about the official servers, but I was just sort of building on Oli's first post.

Please, spare me the insults. I've played with this bot. It's not nearly as good or as threatening as people who have only read about may think.

And, like I said, I've been playing alot of MTA since this bot started and the last time I saw it on a public server was even before this thread had been started. I don't see it "taking over" anywhere. Why? Because the thing is an easily noticable annoyance that nobody wants anymore.

The thing was a novelty. It wore off. Now it's popularity is gone like a fart in the wind.

I don't think these bots are actually in the game are they? The only bots I have encountered were ones in which you could type a command and it would say 'XXXX killed BOTNAME' and credit you for a kill. I have never seen a bot that could kill other players. So what type of bot are you talking about Oli, because the ones I've seen seem to not pose any threats or anything other than innacurate scoring. The last time I saw a bot was last month, so as Outback said - their popularity seems to have worn off.

Maybe the peak of bot usage has been passed, fact is that since I adapted lightbulb to kick bots last night it has kicked about 40 people now. Let's say half of that is wrong due to inaccuracies of the detection. Let's also say that of the remaining half half was an already kicked bot reconnecting.

This leaves 10 bots for today, which I personally think is too much.

And even if the bot isn't really good at killing, the being killed part really annoys ppl (incorrect stats and such).

Just take a simple look at the nr. 1 killed person at my server:

No. Name Kills Deaths Ratio

1 Brat 1 3847 0

I don't know about you, but I really think that even only one bot can do quite some harm, and therefore must be stopped...

Aeron, catch me on IRC and I'll send it to you.

I think I was being chased by this bot last night. I sped off on a bike, and someone was running just as fast if not faster than the bike.

My friend said something like he saw a cheater as well today.

HAZJ it might be easy to track down pms, and ban ppl who control th bot, but then the admin would have to sit with the admin tool all the time to secure the server. What if the admin wants to play ?

use mIRC admin...duh 8)

Yep, and just make a script to watch the PM's and more.

My lightbulb ingame administration program is already able to recognize bots by a fairly reliable method and take appropriate countermessures.

Too bad for the general public the MTA team hasn't got their opinions clear on giving permission for it (I got permission from IJs a while ago, but recent events turned out that not the entire team stands behind that decision).

I did what I could to counter this bot, blame the MTA team for not letting me distribute it...