Windows XP SP2 released

orappa

Microsoft has just released its long awaited SP2 to manufacturers (for creating CD versions). However, it will take a while for it to appear on Automatic Updates / Windows Update because Microsoft are staggering it incrementally across IP ranges (so as not to overload their servers). For those impatient people, you can now download the manufacturer's build of SP2 (it's exactly the same as the one via Windows Update).

Why should you download SP2? I've been running the beta for a few months now, and Microsoft have drastically improved security. The Windows Firewall is greatly improved, and is pretty much the standard you could expect from a purchased firewall. The popup blocker's great. I was originally running the one built into the Google toolbar, but occasionally certain popups would circumvent it and manage to display themselves. Because it's now built into the browser, that never happens.

One thing I've noticed is that since installing SP2, whenever I run Spybot S&D, I have 0 infections (which is good, but it rather takes the fun out of running it).

Also, they recompiled a lot of core elements to make them less susceptible to buffer overflows (commonly exploited by viruses).

They also decided at the last minute to allow pirated CD keys to be used with it, in order to stem the amount of "zombie" machines on the net at the moment. (However keys that were blocked with SP1 will still be blocked with SP2)

If you don't use the XP firewall, Windows Media Player or IE, there are still some beneficial changes under the hood. For an exhaustive list, visit: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodte ... chngs.mspx

Anyway, here's the download link (several mirrors available):

http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=846

No, this isn't the beta. The beta's been out for ages. This is the full version. The network version will be released tomorrow on the MS site, and this is the version that they will put on CDs to send out to people who request it.

ok...so its worth getting?? and it wont slow nuttin down ??

I didn't notice any performance difference. Some people even said it was faster. There aren't really any "fun" features as it's all security enhancements, but as I said above, since installing SP2, I've had zero spyware every time I ran Spybot S&D (probably a result of the new IE features).

They also decided at the last minute to allow pirated CD keys to be used with it, in order to stem the amount of "zombie" machines on the net at the moment. (However keys that were blocked with SP1 will still be blocked with SP2)

what do you mean pirated CD keys :shock: - pirated CD keys for what??

They were going to block known pirated XP CD keys so that you couldn't install SP2 on illegal versions of XP, but they changed their minds because unpatched PCs could be a target for hackers / virus writers.

They were going to block known pirated XP CD keys so that you couldn't install SP2 on illegal versions of XP, but they changed their minds because unpatched PCs could be a target for hackers / virus writers.

So it does work on pirated copies now?

it worked on my pirated cdkey

before, windowsupdate v5 didnt update on my pirated cdkey. now when i install sp2, it works..... wtf?

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodte ... chngs.mspx = bad request for me

microsoft has the network install available:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... layLang=en

i installed it on my work pc (legit copy of xp pro, forced by boss...) and i dont have any problems as of yet. just needed to get a hacked uxtheme.dll cuz i didnt feel like updating stylexp.