About reducing file sizes

Mellnik

Hi

I love the way how you can add mods to your MTA server. The only problem I encounter is the total size of the mods. I don't want players to download more than 70-100MB so I am asking if there are any tricks to reduce the download size.

I have looked around and found this post by ccw (http://bugs.mtasa.com/view.php?id=5015)

fc757edf85.png

How can I do that? Does he mean to zip the mods and upload the an http server or something like gzip on nginx?

Another small question. Do you think 70-100MB is too much for an average player to download? Seeing most other servers don't have more than ~40MB.

Thanks.

Another small question. Do you think 70-100MB is too much for an average player to download? Seeing most other servers don't have more than ~40MB.

Personally, if I join a server I have never played on before and it has more than 10mb to download, I just disconnect and go somewhere else.

@Bonsai

Why's that?

@Et-win

What's the difference between downloadFile fromv1.4? And how would I compress and extract it?

@Controlled

Yeah, saw that but it does not reduce the file size but rather download it in the background which would cause lag doesn't it?

Hi Mellnik

Just curious, (if you're using windows) cd to your most demanding resource and run:

@echo off & for /f %a in ('dir /s /b') do echo %~fa %~za 

This will list all the files (including files in subdirectories) and file size in bytes.

Which filetypes are the largest ones?

You can't compress it and then extract it once the client has it, you can do what I said, so that after they join they have the option to download the files. That way its not a large initial download. Just using downloadFile you can make a GUI with all the mods you want on it and have the player choose what they want to download.