[question for pro coders] about object collision detection

bandi94

Maybe some of you already know , that i am developing FatalTerror 's paused / abandoned TheSims game mode.

I want to know some opinions. At the begin i was thinking to save the objects into a matrix , each matrix element would be a 1 square meter place on your building place , but now after i am done with the wall placeing i realized that this methode is a bit to work dependent and i am kinda lazy. I would need to wirte i a big table where specify for each object how many 1 square meter squares ( matrix element's ) would need after that this specifications would need to be re calculated based on the object rotation .... :| a lot of work i have no time to do it ...

So i was thinking how good would be to use "GetElementColShape" and "isElementWithinColShape" to detect if the new object will be in collision with an already placed object if it is then i move it 1 square meter further , in this way i could keep the "The Sims 3" object placing methode , and i can block the collision's to ??

Why not make a table of each object which you can buy with all the parameters like the length height etc in x,y,z.

And why not change the building system like the original sims, make it that you only have specific amount of thing to build on, like those squares.

(pay attention to the building blocks etc, like the yellow squares.)

Also, can you say something to me on skype, I forgot your name (just search for Danny :P)