Pros and Con of MTA 0.4

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know, I'm actually quite disapointed for only 2 real reasons that bother me. One is the fact that lag in fact is NOT better, it's worse. (Don't tell me it's just me because I'm on 2 MBPS Cable) I've been noticing that at some points there are 4 figured pings for a copuple seconds. This is causing lag spikes it a lot of the servers I tested. The second thing that bothers me is that the "shooting system" still really isn't that great... Shooting someone 50 times and having it NOT affect them is agitating, this has been my disliking of MTA since pre 0.3. Maybe it's just the server's I have been to that are causing these things, I don't know, but I'm just saying what I don't like. I would say I don't like the fact I keep timing out and that it crashes a bit more for me than the older versions, but I can deal with that because that's something I didn't expect to be fixed. Now for the good things :lol: I DO like that there are more cars and I really like the fact there's a secret service profession now, those are some nice weapons. I also like spectator mode, that's a great feature to implement. The only thing I don't like, as I said before, is that the combat system still hasn't been improved much. Again, maybe this is just because I was recieving great lag on the servers I was on, but I sure don't remember lagging this bad on 0.3. All in all, good job with the fixes you guys did make MTA Team, just wish combat was a little more fair. Thanks.

The second thing that bothers me is that the "shooting system" still really isn't that great... Shooting someone 50 times and having it NOT affect them is agitating, this has been my disliking of MTA since pre 0.3. Maybe it's just the server's I have been to that are causing these things, I don't know, but I'm just saying what I don't like

This is still my major issue too. I can load 200 bullets into the other guy on my screen, but they are able to do dead on shots and kill me right where i stand without wasting a damn bullet...

This is still my major issue too. I can load 200 bullets into the other guy on my screen, but they are able to do dead on shots and kill me right where i stand without wasting a damn bullet...

Yep, that's pretty much exactly what I'm talking about.

The main reason I'm disappointed is that .4 was in Dev. for 6 months...

:arrow: Shooting system is improved greatly

:arrow: More cars

:arrow: Secret service is cool, although it doesn't make sense, because they're practically the same as Police

Dislikes:

:arrow: Framerate very very low, Draw distance in .3 was max, now it's set to minimum, and still framelag. Not UNPLAYABLE, but I'm suffering from HUGE disadvantages.. All cars are GREATLY slower, especially compared to other players.. Not only in the car, but running on foot. It makes me a very easy target, I just have no chance to get away.

:arrow: more freq. crashes than .3

:arrow: MPH needs to be set to an F# key. it turns off everytime i get in a new car, so i have to constantly left click. Also weird if Driveby's ever get sync'd, then MPH will flash constantly on screen. Just leave it Always on (as long as you're in a car), and have an F# key toggle it.

:arrow: Weather changes too frequently... and it changes INSTANTLY. Rain is insanely loud, and even lowering the Sound FX volume, rain is still the same volume... I don't think this was a problem in single player. Fog is EVIL. It's laggy and seems to crash a lot of people.. Fog needs to be rare. It should be sunny 60-70% of the time, while playing. With night/rain/fog in close second.. Fog being rarest

:arrow: with new shooting system, Mexicans are really deadly.. their gun can rip through a car faster than you can get away

:arrow: Jagged movement while passenger is not fixed

SUGGESTION:

:arrow: You should be able to select a class to view info about by hitting the number keys... For example:

1- Mexican

2- Police

3- Robbers

For an example.. and that'll show their SPAWN point.. and you hit F to select. Right now, it's sort of slow to constantly switch through multiple spawns to find the one you want.

I am on CABLE, with 300KB download and 50KB upload limit.. about 20 players on the server, and I had a reasonably low ping on the servers i played on

I've noticed the lag, but only with a big ping difference (server host was doing 5 ping, I was 118) he'd be popping up here, then here, then here, and he was hard to hit. However, everyone with at least double digit ping moved fairly smooth. And the aiming with them, damn, it's nearly perfect, I don't have to go through more than half an m60 clip now to find the target's sweet spot. Only time lag was bad was on the bigger, fuller servers, but my PC's not all up to date so it wasn't much more to deal with from 0.3.

Great job devs, great job.

A major con is related to GTA3. How come it doesn't have spectator or stunt mode? Is this technically impossible, or will this be addressed in later versions (i.e. the versions to add the extra islands)?

Also, more importantly, at the time of writing, this is the server ratio:

GTA3 : VC

7 : 66

But it's early days - there are still over 100 servers still running 0.3 (and 2 running 0.1 for some reason), so hopefully this ratio should even up somewhat.

I love the new aiming system. I don't know why people are complaining about not being able to kill people - I'm not sure if that problem will ever go away due to MTA being client-side.

RR`Blitz and gtafreek, it seems that MANY people with unsuitable systems, be it processing power or bandwidth, have thrown up an mta 0.4 server in the rush and excitement of the release. Try one of the larger more extablished servers. The Officials for example. I think youll find you enjoy spot-on aiming like the rest of us then

Utopia, I'm not sure how vc and gta3 can be a con. Perhaps you mean you dislike both rockstar games? if so then i dont really see why you're involved in playing mta

jonchappel: gta3 is an entirely new game, many things are different to vc. That gos for MTA too. More features will appear with further islands, as has been said before.

jonchappel: gta3 is an entirely new game, many things are different to vc. That gos for MTA too. More features will appear with further islands, as has been said before.

Yeah, sorry, I noticed that in a topic further down after posting in this one.

I always enjoy reading the bitch and praise posts of any new game, update, expansion or otherwise.. Always good to see what people think.

Pros:

:arrow: The aiming IS more accurate, I think. I can't be 100% sure but it sure seems like it

:arrow: I love the new character select method with the camera view and all of their spawn points

:arrow: More variety of melee weapons, I could care less if it's swung like a bat or a golf club

:arrow: Weather! Yes I know, people are bitching about this already but I think it adds a new dimension to the game. I was flying a chopper around in heavy fog last night and it was rather cool =)

:arrow: GTA III, say no more.. I've been wanting hills back for a while now

:arrow: The Stubby Glitch fix! Horray! Horray! That weapon switch stubby glitch was annoying, rediculously overused and pretty much made me want to puke every time I saw someone abusing it. I'm glad it's fixed, I've already heard folks crying about it being fixed and I had to smile. Time to learn a new method of fighting without abusing that glitch.. So sorry... :twisted::lol:

:arrow: More variety of cars! Cuban Hermes, Taxis, 2 Deluxos, FBI Washington, Vice Cheetah, Admiral to name a few.. I don't know 100% of all the locations yet, but I only had the opportunity to play for a short while last night (Duh, lurking around IRC to get the client afterall ;) )

:arrow: Multiple Spawn points within a spawn... This is a good thing, adds flavor and variety to the class you choose and helps stem the tide of direct spawn kills

Cons:

:!: I have noticed more crashes, but I think some of them are overcomeable. I have no way to prove this just yet, but if you let the camera image come all the way into view, including that green-screen lines thing finish out THEN hit Enter to get into that character it doesn't seem to crash. This will have to be tested more to prove, but just as an idea I think I caught. It seems that it needs to do one of those "Welcome to Vice City" screens mid-way through the green-lines screen thing and then restart the green-screen. If you hit enter before that happens (When it does happen, I haven't seen it do it every single time yet) it crashes upon entry. Like I said, just a theory, no garuntee

:!: Jumpy opposition... I have noticed that folks are choppy and jumpy a bit when I'm fighting them sometimes. It would seem that certain players would be fine at one point and when I found them later, they'd be jumpy and choppy. This may be that weather issue that folks are complaining about, but I could have SWORN it was during a nice patch of weather. I haven't noticed any major issues on my side of the screen with weather.

:!: GTA III --> People are bitching about the color issues in GTA III, I want to point out to folks that the whole blue hue thing that happens is NOT anything the MTA team can do anything about, it's a problem with the engine of GTA III, not anything they can fix. Relax and go kill someone in your bright neon blue Kurama ;)

:!: GTA III --> I know that the MTA GTA III is supposed to be a different "kind" of game, the strategy is different and the goals are a little different too. You can't go rushing blindly into battle expecting to win and not worrying about death. In VC, you can do this, because if you die you'll get a nice fresh cache of weapons and go right back at them... In III this is not the case, you need to pick your fights and be a little sneaky because dying and eventually running out of money makes you VERY much at a disadvantage while those that kill you are getting richer and richer, making them more powerful in terms of money and equipment. I'm not sure if I like this or not, perhaps I merely need to adjust to a new mindset for playing GTA III MTA or something.

:!: It took only an hour of the clients existance for folks to start up with a lame ass robber spawn war. Blegh... Get the hell out of the start area and go drive a nice new Sabre someplace will ya please!? (As a side note, this is where I heard folks bitching about the stubby glitch being fixed. hee hee hee)

Questions:

:?: Is there an extended synchronization of cars this time around? i.e. Car remains synched 20 seconds or so after someone departs the vehicle

:?: I couldn't tell if the range issue (Not really a problem, just an issue) with thrown weapons was fixed or not. Can someone give me a yea or nay on this please?

:?: Due to the limited time I had to play last night, I wasn't sure if there were new weapon spawns added / removed / moved around. Has there been any change to weapon spawn points?

Misc:

:idea: Thank you MTA Team for another chapter in the growing online gameplay for our favorite games =)

:idea: Thank you MTA Team for another chapter in the growing online gameplay for our favorite games =)

Yes, thanks guys.

The best pro is that it's easier for newer players to use, so there will (hopefully) be no more "I can't kill people - they're all cheating" and "GTA3:MTA loops at the credits"-style posts. Oh, and thanks for fixing the bug where you have to keep clicking Reset Game Path.

I can see a patch coming out soon to fix some of the crash and color bugs hopefully! :D

I think MrBump said that they're going to release a patch for the VC spawn bug, but so far the devs have said that the colour bugs are not a direct fault with MTA. The GTA3 engine doesn't seem to work well on slow PCs, so it's my assumption that MTA's resource usage is causing it, but this may not be fix-able without a new core.

Pros:

:arrow: The aiming IS more accurate, I think. I can't be 100% sure but it sure seems like it

:arrow: I love the new character select method with the camera view and all of their spawn points

:arrow: More variety of melee weapons, I could care less if it's swung like a bat or a golf club

:arrow: Weather! Yes I know, people are bitching about this already but I think it adds a new dimension to the game. I was flying a chopper around in heavy fog last night and it was rather cool =)

:arrow: GTA III, say no more.. I've been wanting hills back for a while now

:arrow: The Stubby Glitch fix! Horray! Horray! That weapon switch stubby glitch was annoying, rediculously overused and pretty much made me want to puke every time I saw someone abusing it. I'm glad it's fixed, I've already heard folks crying about it being fixed and I had to smile. Time to learn a new method of fighting without abusing that glitch.. So sorry... :twisted::lol:

:arrow: More variety of cars! Cuban Hermes, Taxis, 2 Deluxos, FBI Washington, Vice Cheetah, Admiral to name a few.. I don't know 100% of all the locations yet, but I only had the opportunity to play for a short while last night (Duh, lurking around IRC to get the client afterall ;) )

:arrow: Multiple Spawn points within a spawn... This is a good thing, adds flavor and variety to the class you choose and helps stem the tide of direct spawn kills

all of those :D

Cons

:!: wenenever i start sprining within the area i spawn, i always crash. so that one i just dont sprint for a while

:!: This is probably part of your anti cheat system. sometimes people have redicolously long names for msn. so someone had aname like programming cs c++ trainer, almost done. that disconnected me for trainer usage. so im thinking if anything has the word trainer in it they are gone. (good thinkin)

great job on 0.4 . my favorite thing has to be the new character select screens. and i do think they are live :)

:!: I have noticed more crashes, but I think some of them are overcomeable. I have no way to prove this just yet, but if you let the camera image come all the way into view, including that green-screen lines thing finish out THEN hit Enter to get into that character it doesn't seem to crash. This will have to be tested more to prove, but just as an idea I think I caught. It seems that it needs to do one of those "Welcome to Vice City" screens mid-way through the green-lines screen thing and then restart the green-screen. If you hit enter before that happens (When it does happen, I haven't seen it do it every single time yet) it crashes upon entry. Like I said, just a theory, no garuntee

I noticed this in MTA .3, also. The game would ALWAYS crash unless I waited for the items above the player's heads to appear (weapons, heart, armor, whatever)

It seems you still have to wait in MTA .4, too... I don't exactly know how long.. but I let it render the inside walls to the spawn point and such, before i select my character

I also noticed whenever I crash, I exit VC, and the client has DISCONNECTED ME... Can someone from the MTA team acknowledge whether MTA detects the crash, and disconnects you, or if MTA disconnects you (bug?), and causes the crash?

Here's What you do not crash at all:

:arrow: When choosing a career or spectator, wait till the security camera effect(green static & frame counter) goes away then accept.

:arrow: DO NOT SPRINT WHEN YOU SPAWN!!! Walk/run "out" of the spawn area then you can sprint.

:arrow: in spectator mode, don't use the arrow keys to choose another player, type; /next.