IRC down (21/06/2004 @ 23:17 CET) by Blokker_1999

Blokker_1999

Dude i can't even program C or C++ to creat a sorte of DDOS program

LOL, i mean, uhh... its ok, i was jmwy. you dont have to guims. just ctfd ok?

K, just gonna guess at these new acronyms but.

jmwy - just messing with you

guims - get up in my space

ctfd - calm the f*ck down

hehe, anyway yea, fucken bs how MTA is coming closer to a release and some fag has to go and do this. Hope you guys can fix it soon.

well atm we have the site, hope we have the irc server too

This will not happen soon unfortunately. Things were a little more complicated on the IRC Server, which I have no idea when / if they will be resolved.

Let me guess, 100mbit+ of bogus UDP packets. Someone clearly doesn't like MTA, bad luck, as there's nothing you can do against them (unless you have hard proof of the source of the attacks, and you won't get that from bogus UDP packets).

Now there's one thing I think is very weird about this newspost, a few weeks ago I posted something about ddos attacks on dutch servers and the topic was locked because eAi doesn't wanted the kiddies to get their pleasure, so, why this post?...

(you can always say the server is down to 'maintenance', thus not acknowledging ddos attacks...)

Let me guess, 100mbit+ of bogus UDP packets. Someone clearly doesn't like MTA, bad luck, as there's nothing you can do against them (unless you have hard proof of the source of the attacks, and you won't get that from bogus UDP packets).
Wrong.
Now there's one thing I think is very weird about this newspost, a few weeks ago I posted something about ddos attacks on dutch servers and the topic was locked because eAi doesn't wanted the kiddies to get their pleasure, so, why this post?...

(you can always say the server is down to 'maintenance', thus not acknowledging ddos attacks...)

We don't make a habit out of lying to our community. We also had the ddoser sitting in our IRC admitting to it, so it's be hard to claim otherwise.

eAi

We don't make a habit out of lying to our community. We also had the ddoser sitting in our IRC admitting to it, so it's be hard to claim otherwise.

Yet you did lock my topic about an other ddos. I don't see the fundamental difference between this attack and the one that struck me and others. Both ddos, both obvious in that it has succeeded (the checks are quite easy...). But still my topic should be locked, and this topic shall remain. If you want to moderate your forums so well, i guess it's only fair to treat all topics identically.

And if you don't want to lie to your community, why then don't allow acknowledgements of servers going down due to attacks as that is the only truth at the moment...

Can I please point out to everyone that we're only human. We may be a team, but different people make different decisions in the team, and unfortunately, we can't all act as a single agreeing body and moderate these forums 24/7. I'm sorry we didn't lock whatever topic you think should be locked, or we're sorry we locked whatever topic that shouldn't be locked, but the fact is they're locked, and there would be a reason why - normally stated on the final post. I don't remember anyone denying that the ddos happened, what servers are you talking about? We know that some game servers went down too, and as far as I know we've never denied this, again, this is me -> eAi -> speaking not the rest of the team.

eAi

MrBump clearly closed the post on the basis of the small attacks being for publicity, so he didnt give them what they [probably] wanted.

This time, however this person [probably] hates MTA and is [probably] not looking for publicity so there is no real justification to shut down this topic.

This topic is

A.Not connected to the other

B. Is the same person, [though MrBump had no way of knowing it wasnt just a grown baby seeking attention]

Either way, it was a fair judgement.

MTA cannot be accused of lying to their community either.

---Ryan---

I wonder if you know what you are talking about. The attacks were in no way 'small' (you have drawn this from MrBump's misconception that it caused only 'small temporary problems'). 2 of 3 major dutch servers went down due to the attacks (the 3rd went down a little while after too, yet I have no conformation this is due to attacks), both are still not back up (as I fear more attacks).

Secondly there are no clues whatsoever that these attacks were not to MTA in general, we haven't received any threats, nor did anyone claim the attacks.

And finally I never accused the MTA team of lying, I just pointed out the inconsistencies between this and my topic.

King_Ryan is right, I'll start :D

MTA-team, I really hope everything gets back the way they were and that you can continue your marvellous work. We are giving the attacker too much attention atm, just ignore him and release an mta-version that blows the shit out of the entire gta-community, that's the only way to strike back at those idiots.

keep up the good work team.