A few LAG questions

Guest spiffer25

Hey guys

I have some questions for all you experts :D . I´ve been playing Vice City MTA 0,3 r2 for a while now. And i have tried all kinds of things to get rid og some of all that TERRIBLE lag i´m suffering from.

- Is lag is caused by a to slow internet connection or computer.......or both?

- Will it help if I upgradet my connection to something faster? (maybe 1024 / 512)

- Are my computer specs just too poor to play MTA smoothly?

My current specs are:

Internet: ADSL 1024 / 256

Acer Travelmate 433 LCi (LAPTOP)

Intel Pentium 4 - 2,66 GHz

512 MB DDR Ram

40 GB harddisk

Ati radeon mobility 7500 - 64 mb ram

Windows XP pro - sp1

Peter

Actually the workload on your CPU/ Graphic Card while playing single-player is much less. MTA holds 80 Vehicles in memory at all times, where in single-player, it is only maybe 10 at any given time. This is what causes slow maploads on slower machines when you're playing MTA.

Also, not everything you see desynched can be blamed to lag, such as currently the aiming isn't 100% accurate, which might be interpreted as lag as well.

Actually the workload on your CPU/ Graphic Card while playing single-player is much less. MTA holds 80 Vehicles in memory at all times, where in single-player, it is only maybe 10 at any given time.[...]

Unless by that you mean all 80 are being rendered at some rate simultaneously, I don't see what lugging around a bigger data structure has to do with excess CPU/GPU workload. The delays will be elsewhere.

BTW I think I remember hearing a statement similar to yours, about why MTA's slower than SP VC, that had to do with the multitude of players in the server as well. Can you pls comment on how the # of ppl affects the end framerate if so?

It effects it in the same way as the vehicles, thop to a lesser extent as the difference between the number of actors shown in mta and the number of actors in vc is less drastic that the 80/10 for vehicles. Also bear in mind its runing the mtaclient itself over the top of gta_vc so uses a little more cpu etc to do that alone.

Really this guy needs to elaborate a little as to wether by 'lag' he means latency, ping, graphics, aim etc. Then perhaps we can help further.