Banning Idea

How about generating something like an MD5 hash of their serial number from a CD-ROM or Hard Drive or something. Then use this hash when connecting to the MTA server, so that if a known hacker gets his hash banned them he can be on some sort of global MTA blacklist, or even just can't reconnect to the same server with a spoofed IP.

Of course the only way to get off the blacklist would be to install a new hard drive.

Comments :?:

thats interesting...but a lot of people run no-cd patches...wouldn't it be as simple as replacing/hexing the exe file? Just my thoughts :\

What?? No-cd cracks mean that the game doesn't use the CD, but the serial of the drive can still be obtained.

Yes the drive :D

People can burn a copy of the CD and get a new serial number, so that would be a crap idea. I mean something like hdd0 or something. That way it would always be the same.

Perhaps registering an account on MTAVC.com so give us an ID that is unique to our drive serial that can only be used once, then we log in with this to get onto servers :D

It's a bit like the steam/won network, only you can _only_ use your account on your computer, and it if gets banned - tough :D

It's a bit like the steam/won network, only you can _only_ use your account on your computer, and it if gets banned - tough :D

I'm not sure if drives are a good idea. I've got loads of old hard drives lying around, and it'd be a simple case of installing a new drive and running Virtual PC on it. I also have loads of CD drives that I could put in.

Perhaps it should do it by CPU ID or something because they're a lot more expensive, plus the fact that I wouldn't want to put my old slow ones in just to circumvent protection.

It would be good in addition to IP banning, because I'm on a LAN so I could connect from the same IP with a different machine.

What would keep crackers from creating another cracked client which would just sent a random hash ?

There's no way you can check it's random, because you don't know the actual serial number. Nice idea, but it can be cracked...

What would keep crackers from creating another cracked client which would just sent a random hash ?

There's no way you can check it's random, because you don't know the actual serial number. Nice idea, but it can be cracked...

ALL such methods can be cracked. Packets can be spoofed, etc.

ALL such methods can be cracked. Packets can be spoofed, etc.

:twisted: