Is this ok?

'LinKin

Hello,

Is this ok?

local myVariable = myTable[row-1] or myTable[9]

I want to return a string according to a number. I have these strings saved in a table. Which lengh is 9.

So for example if the row is 11, it will try to look for the string stored in myTable[10] but it would be nil. So I want it to return the 9th String if the row > 9.

Thanks.

It works, but with the current code value is myTable[9] also if row=1 or value of array element is false or nil.

You could also do this:

local myVariable = myTable[math.min(row-1, 9)]

in which case if row is less than 2, myVariable would be nil and also if element value is false or nil, it will be propagated to myVariable as well (not take the 9th element).

• Moderators
Hello,

Is this ok?

local myVariable = myTable[row-1] or myTable[9]

I want to return a string according to a number. I have these strings saved in a table. Which lengh is 9.

So for example if the row is 11, it will try to look for the string stored in myTable[10] but it would be nil. So I want it to return the 9th String if the row > 9.

Thanks.

This will count down from the highest array, and check if they are nil/false and count one down till it's found it's target.

local myVariable 
for i=#myTable,1,-1 do -- counts down till 1. 
    local variable = myTable[i] 
    if variable then 
        myVariable = variable 
        break 
    end 
end 

If you use they array I will recommend you to use table.remove, so you won't have trouble with empty places.