About banning cheaters... And using a wonID-like system?

Guest Seppo

I was just wandering about banning cheaters. I lot of people use DHCP-IP-addresses and banning by IP-address is not allways functional.

This is just a suggestion and I think that this is an issua to be discussed.

I think that using similar wonID as f.ex. Half-Life uses would greatly decrese cheaters re-emerging with new IP-addresses. No I don't mean pay-per-ID-system. But a free IDcode that one would get by registering with functional e-mail address to a dedicated MTA-registering service. Ok, i realize that a cheater would get a new ID by registerin with a different e-mail address, but it would be quite a work to register allways again and get some free e-mail address to get a new IDcode..

This would not be too much of a work for those who really use MTA without cheating..

What would you think?

This has been suggested many times:

http://forum.mtavc.com/viewtopic.php?t= ... ight=wonid

http://forum.mtavc.com/viewtopic.php?t= ... ight=wonid

Its obviously not practical as R* didn't give out unique serial numbers, so we have no way to differentiate reliably between user A and user B.

In the future, we may be able to implement a system for this, but it'd have to be pretty complex to be of any use, and to authenticate users would require a dedictated server = money (which we don't have).

eAi

Ok, i realize that a cheater would get a new ID by registerin with a different e-mail address, but it would be quite a work to register allways again and get some free e-mail address to get a new IDcode..

A time interval could also be put in, but of course a dedicated cheater will go to another computer but this would slow them down.

i just started learning C++ and i mean JUST started, and i found how to randomize a number, couldnt u implement that into a serial-code type ban, so at least they would have to download the program again to stop thier punkizm :lol:

(and i would know that it is the trouble one has to go through to cheat which makes them stop, like UT2004 for instance, its not that i CANT cheat, its just too much goddamned trouble, encrypted packets, and punkbuster is just too damn much 4 me :P )