[Lua] How to make a numberID command....

Deepu

Hello every body..... Long TIme no see :P

Well, I am here to give you a tutorial on how to make a numberID command since if you type a command and if its in abc text, still it gets executed.......(I had this problem when I was a 1 week scripter :D

better to make a client sided script as client side is easy.....

first you gotta make a function for the command..... So lets take poops, where if you type /poops (amount) it gives you n amounts of poops

We take thePlayer as the player because I feel thats easier than localPlayer

thePlayer = getLocalPlayer() 
function poopaDoopa (cmd, id) -- the id is the parameter for id 

next we add the functions for id parameter for example :

(remember, we need to use getElementData and setElementData as the main things)

function poopaDoopa  
local id = tonumber(id)(cmd, id) 
   if (id) and (id>0) then -- checks if an ID was typed and if id is greater than 0) 
   ama = getElementData(localPlayer, "poops") or 0 
   ana = setElementData(localPlayer, "poops", tonumber(id)) -- to number verifies that the id is a number 
   else  
   outputChatBox("SYNTAX: /"..cmd.." [id]", thePlayer, 255, 2, 0, false) 
   end 
end 
addCommandHandler("poops", poopaDoopa) 

now that we made the command and we wanna know how much poops you currently have .....

function howMuch () 
   outputChatBox("you have "tostring(ama)"amounts of poops", thePlayer, 255, 2, 0, false) 
end 
addCommandHandler("poopa", howMuch) 

this returns amounts of poops.....

Now this may not work but the full script is.....

function tapu (cmd, amount) 
   local amount = tonumber(amount) 
   if amount and amount > 0 then 
   local pro = tonumber(getElementData(localPlayer, "poops")) or 0 
   noob = pro + amount 
   setElementData(localPlayer, "poops", noob) 
   else 
   outputChatBox("SYNTAX: /"..cmd.." amount", thePlayer, true) 
   end 
end 
addCommandHandler("poops", tapu) 

function tapl () 
   local pro = tonumber(getElementData(localPlayer, "poops")) or 0 
   outputChatBox(tostring(pro), thePlayer, 255, 2, 0, false) 
end 
addCommandHandler("poopa", tapl) 

and this works perfectly

Edited by Guest

The tutorial is filled with errors and doesnt work.

How it's done correctly.

function poopaDoopa(player, cmd, id) 
   if (id) and (id > 0) then -- checks if an ID was typed and if id is greater than 0) 
        ana = setElementData(player, "poops", tonumber(id)) -- to number verifies that the id is a number 
   else 
        outputChatBox("SYNTAX: /"..cmd.." [id]", player, 255, 2, 0, false) 
   end 
end 

function howMuch (player) 
   outputChatBox("You have ".. getElementData(player, "poops").."amounts of poops", thePlayer, 255, 2, 0, false) 
end 

What was incorrect to your code was the string insertion from lua, which should be done by placing 2 dots in front and behind when it's completely surrounded by the string( "this " ..value.. " is a value"). When there's a string infront you should place 2 dots infront of the value("This" .. value) same goes for behind the value, ( value .. " is a value").

Also I suggest you not to pass values across functions unless they're delivered by a function, like the value AMA you were calling, you can better just call the getElementData from the code where you want it to be.

What was also not really clever was the localPlayer you used, you can better use (player, command, value) instead of using localplayer, as it can be used in both serversided scripting and clientsided scripting.

Also, this made very little sense to me;

function poopaDoopa 

You're declaring the varible id the value id, which is the same. I know many scripting languages need you to declare the type of a variable before you can use them, but LUA doesnt. LUA's variables are pretty much dynamic, they are all types in one, when they are empty.

I suggest you to try and master LUA before you start writing tutorials.

The tutorial is filled with errors and doesnt work.

How it's done correctly.

function poopaDoopa(player, cmd, id) 
   if (id) and (id > 0) then -- checks if an ID was typed and if id is greater than 0) 
        ana = setElementData(player, "poops", tonumber(id)) -- to number verifies that the id is a number 
   else 
        outputChatBox("SYNTAX: /"..cmd.." [id]", player, 255, 2, 0, false) 
   end 
end 

function howMuch (player) 
   outputChatBox("You have ".. getElementData(player, "poops").."amounts of poops", thePlayer, 255, 2, 0, false) 
end 

What was incorrect to your code was the string insertion from lua, which should be done by placing 2 dots in front and behind when it's completely surrounded by the string( "this " ..value.. " is a value"). When there's a string infront you should place 2 dots infront of the value("This" .. value) same goes for behind the value, ( value .. " is a value").

Also I suggest you not to pass values across functions unless they're delivered by a function, like the value AMA you were calling, you can better just call the getElementData from the code where you want it to be.

What was also not really clever was the localPlayer you used, you can better use (player, command, value) instead of using localplayer, as it can be used in both serversided scripting and clientsided scripting.

Also, this made very little sense to me;

function poopaDoopa 

You're declaring the varible id the value id, which is the same. I know many scripting languages need you to declare the type of a variable before you can use them, but LUA doesnt. LUA's variables are pretty much dynamic, they are all types in one, when they are empty.

I suggest you to try and master LUA before you start writing tutorials.

This is wrong:

"id" will be a string, not a number.