MTA 0.4 Progress Update.

Si|ent

Things have been quiet on the news front for a while so i thought I would get you up to date on where things stand at the moment.

The semi-public 04 beta test brought to light a few unexpected bugs, one of which was rather major involving the game freezing solid (GTA3) rather than crashing. It took us quite a while to identify what exactly was causing this and proved to be a nightmare to fix once discovered. But after more than two weeks hard work by several members of the team we have finally cracked it. The other problems whilst less major have also proven very tricky to overcome.

At the moment we are in what we hope to be the final stages of preperation for release. This involves squashing a final bug that has come to light in MTA:VC and tying up the last few details into a complete package. We shall then hold at least one more Semi-Public test to give any other bugs the chance to come to light. If all go's well with these and the mod performs satisfactorily then preperations for release should begin.

Unfortunatley we cannot give a timescale for any of these steps. This remaining VC bug may take a while to fix for instance, delaying the whole process. Or fresh problems may arise in the larger test(s). But rest assured progress is good at the moment and it is hoped that you guys and gals shall not have to wait too much longer.

I can reveal that the initial release of 0.4 will support both VC and GTA3. The GTA3 section will feature gameplay on Portland only at first. Followed by a second and third release some time afterwards to support the other islands in Liberty City. Again there may be other releases required in between should any major problems arise. Such as version 0.3 r2 was required to fix the 'radar bug' that some suffered.

Edited by Guest
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I liked best about that short speech was its honesty. They didn't try to cover up the fact that it had bugs, and there was a full (and above all believable) explanation of why it seemed to be delayed.

Unlike Valve, for example...

[...]I can reveal that the initial release of 0.4 will support both VC and GTA3.[...]

Strange. I was under the impression that the initial 0.4 release would be for GTA3 alone and MTA:VC would follow shortly after.

If this is true, guess that kinda steals some from GTA3's thunder. I was really hoping to see a good part of the community turn to LC for a one month period or something. Pity...

Well dunno bout anyone else but bump just kinda confirmed what i was already suspecting about 0.4... and as he says hopefully all these bugs will be squahed soon :D . Good luck to them.

[...]I can reveal that the initial release of 0.4 will support both VC and GTA3.[...]

Strange. I was under the impression that the initial 0.4 release would be for GTA3 alone and MTA:VC would follow shortly after.

If this is true, guess that kinda steals some from GTA3's thunder. I was really hoping to see a good part of the community turn to LC for a one month period or something. Pity...

You make it sound as if no-one at all will play GTA 3. There was a poll somewhere where a majority voted that they would play that first before VC. Other people have their own preferences. I for one prefer GTA 3 but am forced to play VC due to the age of the MTA client (and lack of servers). I think that there will be a fairly equal division within the community (perhaps 60:40).

well i certainly know that FMJ at least for 1 will have an efrag server for gta3 and one for VC so ppl will be able to chose at will which to play... I cant wait for gta3:mta 0.4 though... the beta test a month ago reminded me how much i love gta3 :D

As usual, Mr.Policeman Boss comes in on the end of the 2nd thread and reads everything. :lol:

W00t Great job with the new release!!Keep up the good work! :P

Ransom:When school is over,or as it was with the last 2 releases,they release it when I'm in the middle of an exam week/Not at the city where I live :lol:.

EDIT:Actually,I played mta less and less these last days,I'm getting sick of VC,so I'm waiting to play on 3=P