New Vice City Multiplayer mod needs help!

lol u havent played VMP yet so dont judge it until you have played ti! :wink:

Progress seems to be pretty fast - what sort of release time frame are you looking at? (Note that I said "time frame" and not "release date")

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lol u havent played VMP yet so dont judge it until you have played ti! :wink:

Progress seems to be pretty fast - what sort of release time frame are you looking at? (Note that I said "time frame" and not "release date")

All I can say is.... Soon. In a matter of a few weeks. :D

Cray at the VMP forums:

May want to remove the screenshot that doesn't work from the screenshots section.

Oh, and btw, hide things a little better next time: http://www.maltastart.com/~vmp/images/mtascreen-869.jpg

Now that, i have no idea what its about. The screen is no longer there, infact, i think youre being real (censored) bout this, so i posted a reply, and im gona put this here too, because I think it applies more than anything to this topic.

My very applicable to this forum reply:

The very fact that MTA members are here at all makes me consider that you may well be worried. You seem to enjoy flaming us on your own forums but a visit here to insult the project is rare.

No idea why you chose to post, the picture got removed and was only there for about an hour, I personally remember deleting the picture off the server. The picture was only there to as a demonstration of the screenshots section by the guy who made the site. The fact that you were so quick as to pick it up within the hour and have made copies and posted it in your forums makes me increasingly so aware that you keep on checking up on our teams progress. Which is fine may I add.

You dont like stanton, fair enough. But just because of that, does not mean that you have to hate the whole project, its not as so were at war and its not as so it is important either way. I keep on checking the topics at MTA and you keep on passing comment to the fact that we are using Visual Basic, so it will be impossible for us to hack the Direct X that is in the games engine. This howver is not true, as we have plans to program that part in C++ and link it in with the Visual Basic client via DLL files. Do theres that mystery solved.

Either way, I dont exactly think it is right that the MTA team continually flames us when the GTAt team and GGM (when it was making progress) all got on fine with you.

One thing that does annoy me is the fact that you seem to expect everyone to respect you and worship you because you are on the MTA team, i dont, i dont respect you in this way because the team at MTA DOES NOT help people, I howver am active at GTAforums and help people out (including the GTALC team) where possible. Im only programming for VMP because I was asked, because im a nice person.

Thanks.

Before I get a repetitive strain injury from excessive replying.

Smithers.

I had nor the time nor the will to rewrite that for here, but i did think it was applicable.

Now, Id like to think that people could get on, being fellow programmers and all without all of this rubbish thats being going on in this topic.

Our multiplayer is currently WORKING with syncronised players, and some animations, for 2 players, and we are working on getting this to 16 players.

It works differently to MTA, we have a video on out site (there is no chat, because its not made yet, and no other fancy stuff yet), but it shows that it works.

And for that, I think we deserve at least a little respect.

MORE IMPORTANTLY:

Before you criticise our one broken image, I think you should realise that the links to TWO of your videos in the news are broken.

Thank-you.

Smithers.

Lead Programer at VMP (Before you criticise this, i know VB, C++ and PHP)

Your reply was taken out of context, and I made an appropriate reply explaining that (I will not post it here, but you can find it in their Forum in the Website related area). It was not meant to start an argument nor put down your project, purely bringing an interesting fact to light.

I am not sure what two movies you are talking about (as everything works fine here), so if you could elaborate on the broken links we would be more than happy to look into a fix.

Oh, and btw, /me cries over criticism. Grow up, and stop venting. Good luck with the project VMP.

I think the main problem is that a number of people on these forums don't take Stanton seriously, and it is some people's opinion (not mine) that he couldn't organise a piss-up at a brewery. This makes it difficult to take his project seriously.

From what I've seen, VMP looks to be a contender with MTA (whether or not serious competition can only be discovered from a playtest). My advice to you would be to work hard (but don't rush it) to get a release ASAP so that people can actually play it and judge it as a game rather than judging it by the team behind it.

Ok, having read your reply at our forums. Thats settled.

No-one seems to like stanton, youve all got reasons for it, so thats fair enough. Me and him have disagreed on things before.

I dont know about this being a contender for competition with MTA, its too early to tell, with us using different ways of moving things (such as player/car) to MTA, things are very different, and may not work out. I hope they do.

Thanks.

Smithers.

• MTA Team

I think VMP needs to learn there place and even more learn the difference between the MTA community and the MTA team.

I've been abscent of the board for some time now and i had to read up the entire thread at once and i noticed that the VMP team members seem to nag that we, the mta team, criticese them a lot while in fact all critics in this thread are coming from the community.

Second. There have been many attempts to duplicate the succes of MTA. All have failed. Recent attempts include gtam and gtaXc. All came with a lot of promises and all disappeared even faster.

I won't judge the project on it's own, but i do think that we are in a position to say some things about the team members from what was posted here.

One thing that i noticed is the verry agressive/selfish tone of smithers2. Cray made a remark on your board, and a valid one. In your screenshot section there is 1 pic that can't be loaded. Why not remove it? What does smithers2 do? he states that we are worried (in fact claiming that they are superior). He then didn't read the post of cray correctly and concludes that we visit there site constantly. At that point you should ask urself why we do get along with ggm and gtat and not with vmp.

What does helping people have to do with respect? We respect our community and our community respects us. We also request to our community that they respect all other mods. Which sometimes they fail to do. We don't help? We got a manual, a faq a brand new support board. Places enough to request help. Wait till you get dozens of emails daily asking where they can download it, how to connect to a server or where to find servers and so on. And how do gaming companys support there fan base? They don't do much better then we and they receive money, we don't.

And if you are refering to building mp mods? well why should we help other teams with building other mp mods? All we do in our team is work on our mod. That is what we do. We don't have the knowledge to help people with modeling problems and such since we don't have modellers! You don't ask microsoft to help you write a new OS.

Mr smithers2, get ur fact straight and think twice before you say something please.

and before anyone says anything : this post is a personal reaction and not a statement from the team!

Ok, this is aimed purely at you blokker. As you wish.

I think VMP needs to learn there place and even more learn the difference between the MTA community and the MTA team.

I think that opinion is wrong, youre trying to say we need to learn our place, whats that supposed to mean, go to our own boards?

I've been abscent of the board for some time now and i had to read up the entire thread at once and i noticed that the VMP team members seem to nag that we, the mta team, criticese them a lot while in fact all critics in this thread are coming from the community.

Admittedly, I have realised that. Although its not ALL the critics. MrBump for one, has tried to make the picture from MTA that was found on our site an embarassment for VMP, its not, it was there, it doesnt mean were making MTA all over again, it doesnt mean its a fake... It means nothing

Second. There have been many attempts to duplicate the succes of MTA. All have failed. Recent attempts include gtam and gtaXc. All came with a lot of promises and all disappeared even faster.

Are you trying to say we give up, if so, then thats really selfish. Were not making promises, were not saying were gona be around long, were saying: WERE TRYING

Nothing more.

I won't judge the project on it's own, but i do think that we are in a position to say some things about the team members from what was posted here.

Ok, and if you would care to take a look at my post count, cray annoyed me about something I may have taken the wrong way, thats cleared up, other than that, youll find that I, the most active person in the VMP development has not actually said anything here other than today.

One thing that i noticed is the verry agressive/selfish tone of smithers2. Cray made a remark on your board, and a valid one. In your screenshot section there is 1 pic that can't be loaded. Why not remove it? What does smithers2 do? he states that we are worried (in fact claiming that they are superior). He then didn't read the post of cray correctly and concludes that we visit there site constantly. At that point you should ask urself why we do get along with ggm and gtat and not with vmp.

Aggressive, not really, sorry if it came accross that way. Selfish, NOT AT ALL, im after the MTA team and community to stop flaming my team, is that selfish? Not really, im doing it in the TEAMs best interest.

What does helping people have to do with respect?

This could be quote of the year (smithers goes away to add it into his gtaforums signature). Its completely wrong, helping people has EVERYTHING to do with respect. Its not something that you can debate. Its what respect is all about, you help people, and by helping them, you gain respect.

We respect our community and our community respects us. We also request to our community that they respect all other mods. Which sometimes they fail to do.

Yes, so hows about you start respecting everyone, and not just the MTA lovers among us.

We don't help? We got a manual, a faq a brand new support board. Places enough to request help. Wait till you get dozens of emails daily asking where they can download it, how to connect to a server or where to find servers and so on.

Ok, all to help MTA players, I know for a fact you could help more than you do. But you dont, you hide away your memory addresses, and take them from others, such as the memory address topic @ gtaforums, which cray told me off for not giving some memory addresses in!!!!! HOW many memory addresses does MTA give out... remember.

And how do gaming companys support there fan base? They don't do much better then we and they receive money, we don't.

Thats pretty irrelevant. None of us are getting paid. Im a student.

And if you are refering to building mp mods? well why should we help other teams with building other mp mods? All we do in our team is work on our mod. That is what we do. We don't have the knowledge to help people with modeling problems and such since we don't have modellers! You don't ask microsoft to help you write a new OS.

Microsoft = Irrelevant

Im asking you to support people, if you can help, help, if not, then support, provide positive comments. If we disagree with you, then dont take it the wrong way. If we make a mistake, dont make an incredible story of it (like MrBump, who is one who I will never respect).

Mr smithers2, get ur fact straight and think twice before you say something please.

The fact is: This argument got ended in my last post, why are you continuing it?

and before anyone says anything : this post is a personal reaction and not a statement from the team!

Good, So I expect you to reply please.

Thanks.

Smithers.

Edited by Guest

StAnToN wrote:

lol i have already got synchronised time and weather :P

Cray wrote:

/me claps

Mr.Bump wrote:

Cool. Just found this thread. Was looking ot the General forum to give me a laugh and pick me up on this early morning, and as usual it hasn't dissapointed me

As for stanton 'making a multiplayer mod' All I can say is thats a little like me deciding I'm going to build a new Town Hall. Me with no experience of building past gazing at building sites as I pass them and once owning a brick. I with no experience of town planning or civic buildings bar walking through some cities and appearing in court for a few minor motoring offenses. Not to mention the fact all the towns around here already have Town Halls.

Anyway no more time to post here. I have building sites to visit and builders to shout 'can you tell me how to bricklay' at from a distance. Not to mention asking passers by if theyd like to join my exclusive and really exciting building team. (Maybe one will know how to plaster so I dont have to reveal I'm clueless in the field).

and i didnt consider crays other post, he said good luck at the end :P

And I thought the argument was done, geez. Oh well, I guess we all have the right to a PERSONAL opinion, and people should not take it out on the project, like some people have recently.

What does helping people have to do with respect?

This could be quote of the year (smithers goes away to add it into his gtaforums signature). Its completely wrong, helping people has EVERYTHING to do with respect. Its not something that you can debate. Its what respect is all about, you help people, and by helping them, you gain respect.

I'm not sure if I agree with the statement that helping has "EVERYTHING" to do with respect. Respect generally means "held in high regard" - it is entirely possible to regard others highly without them doing something for you first. I respect people I've never met before because I can tell a lot about them just by looking at them. They don't need to help me (in fact, I much prefer doing things by myself) for me to respect them. I do understand where your argument is coming from, but to say it is entirely based on how you help others is false.

Point taken, respect is a wide thing.

But I personally, along with lots of other people respect people who help people.

Like who doesnt respect care workers, teachers etc.

Blokker signed up on our forums... but hasnt started an argument yet, which is a good thing.

This past weekend I was mowing my lawn and my neighbor didn't bring his mower over and pitch in... I guess he doesn't respect me that bastard. I thought the simple fact that he mowed his own lawn and waved to me when we saw each other adding a "Hello Neighbor" was enough.. Thanks for setting me strait :wink:

:argue:

Point taken, respect is a wide thing.

But I personally, along with lots of other people respect people who help people.

Like who doesnt respect care workers, teachers etc.

I don't respect all teachers and care workers. I respect the ones who do it because they know they can make a difference. Others may do it for the money, the holidays, etc.

Ok, after being accused of flooding the MySQL server and bringing it down earlier today, ive now decided that Im going to call this quits.

Dont ask why, it just involves IJs and a long conversation.

So, Blokker and Cray... sorry.

(and btw, i didnt hack the server :P )