Are these cheats?

Guest Nonnymoose

Should Weapon Switching and FPS Abuse be considered cheating and Dealt with in the same manner as Speed Hacks, Flying Cars, Health cheats and so forth?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Should Weapon Switching and FPS Abuse be considered cheating and Dealt with in the same manner as Speed Hacks, Flying Cars, Health cheats and so forth?

• Yes
    • No

I have seen a few new forms of what I personally consider cheating. FPS abuse and Weapon Switching give a player certain advantages. This point may be moot, if .4 solves the problems with these ever increasing issues. However, if it does not, or even if only in the time being UNTIL .4.. Should these be considered cheating?

Well . Dont know about weapon switching . and if your talking about the controled fps on the menu . i have to say yes . but noobs mess with stuff and dont even know why the car is going so fast . But if your talking about the computer speed .. then its not . cause one i was fighting with a guy , hes pc was SOO slow he moved in slow motion on mine ...

weapon switching i don't see as a cheat, i mean if it was a bug in SP mode, I don't feel it should be looked down upon in MP...and don't bring up the nade bug either, THAT was not in sp lol and thus i count as cheating now.

And FPS, well, only if their pc is bad do i not count that, normally tho it will only ruin their experience, after one or two shots i know should have hit them, trainer usage or not, I just leave them to themselves lol.

absolutely no. these 2 are imposible to prove that they are doing it intentionally. you have no idea how easy it is to accidentaly "abuse" weapon switching. and fps could very well be thier gfx card. with speed hacks etc those are very easy to prove and theres no way you could "accidentaly" do it

yes, perhaps there is a way that the server can regulate the fire rates, and not allow more than 1 shot ion a certain time amount to go through. then people could do the switch weapons thing all they want.

of course,as we're told, the server just passes along all the info with very little analyzation of data, so this probably isn't possible yet.

Um, dunno if it's possible or not, but if this is a need to be addressed in future, couldn't the reload animation be set to run when a weapon is switched to, as in cocking a weapon? Granted, I think the animation would be skippable anyway by jumping, but that in turn would leave anyone as much a sitting duck as just going through reload.

Just a suggestion, but in my opinion, it's not really an issue since most people (I've seen, anyway) who switch weapons during a firefight are genuinely switching, not exploiting a glitch.

Weapon switching shouldn't be considered cheating(Although there are a few weapons.. :? ).And about the fps:I too wish that you could set a fps rate for everyone(Withouth abusing of course),because it just makes some people bloody desynced(Aka,they don't see the shot(Not lag),or their really away from where you see them(This is true.If someone's location is really desynced and he/she knows how to dodge,it gives an unfair advantage.).And sometimes their fps is somewhat higher but still giving an advantage.).

The thing that really matters would be fps control(Although very hard.).Or what slothman said,that's also a good idea.

i dont know what u mean by weapons switching but fps id say no because having faster computers should have advantages as should connections,

which is not the case with lag of course as the lagger has the advantages apart from packet loss and timeouts.

I think weapon switching is a bug so its not really cheating and it adds more flavor to the game.

Turning off FPS Limiter IMO however is somewhat cheating because you are turning off your frame limiter (whatever the reason) and increasing your firing rate which is giving you the advantage. Especially if you have a high-tech state-of-the-art computer system, the advantage over your opponent can be large. I have an above-average computer system and I have played a few guys that could almost get 2 shots in by the time I had gone totally through 1.

• 5 weeks later...
I think weapon switching is a bug so its not really cheating and it adds more flavor to the game.

Turning off FPS Limiter IMO however is somewhat cheating because you are turning off your frame limiter (whatever the reason) and increasing your firing rate which is giving you the advantage. Especially if you have a high-tech state-of-the-art computer system, the advantage over your opponent can be large. I have an above-average computer system and I have played a few guys that could almost get 2 shots in by the time I had gone totally through 1.

Can someone from MTA let us know whether they would consider NOT using the frame limiter as a cheat?

Can the people who just want to post something not steer this toward questions of how you would know and ... I just want to know if ppl should use the limiter and if someone doesn't want to use it are they cheating.

Can someone from MTA let us know whether they would consider NOT using the frame limiter as a cheat?

Can the people who just want to post something not steer this toward questions of how you would know and ... I just want to know if ppl should use the limiter and if someone doesn't want to use it are they cheating.

Ah I'll just pm ppl I guess

No, Frame Limiter is not cheating. The Vice City game itself lets you do it; it is not a setting that is enabled illegally. It is merely meant for the optimization of graphics by increasing the frame rate.

There really is no reason to consider it cheating. I don't think I need to remind you how imperfect MTA is; you know by now that there are many factors which effect player speed. If someone is going faster than you are, too bad. If someone is crossing your radar in less than a second, be concerned :shock:

No, Frame Limiter is not cheating. The Vice City game itself lets you do it; it is not a setting that is enabled illegally. It is merely meant for the optimization of graphics by increasing the frame rate.

There really is no reason to consider it cheating. I don't think I need to remind you how imperfect MTA is; you know by now that there are many factors which effect player speed. If someone is going faster than you are, too bad. If someone is crossing your radar in less than a second, be concerned :shock:

The whole thing about the "THE GAME LETS YOU DO IT!" response, is that VC was never ment to be multiplayer. I've witnessed this, and I've ALWAYS called people cheaters when I see this in action. Now, I guess someone discovered taking off the frame limiter helps them in-game...

What i'm talking about is, If I start running away from someguy, I can run forever, and they run forward AFTER i'm already away from them, and they can EASILY catch me EVERYTIME. They run 2x as fast as I do. Some other people have discovered that people can SHOOT faster than you, also.

I'm now suspecting that having the frame limiter disabled can also allow people to jack your car extremely quick. If me and someone else are next to each other, and he gets in the car, and immediately hits the gas, if I hit my F key right after he gets in, I can NEVER jack his car. even if it's something slow like the WASHINGTON. But in the same situation, if I get in, and start moving, this guy can practically just hit F at any time and jack my car within 2 seconds... not cool at all. And each of us would never have a ping above 80.

So, it DOES give you an advantage over another player. It simply wasn't BLOCKED by the developers because this game is purely single-player. Being able to run faster in singleplayer doesn't really give you an advantage, because the AI is stupid.

So using the "It's in the game" excuse isn't valid. It's a "feature" that was over-looked by the developers, and it's being mis-used online. Thus, it's an EXPLOIT. This is the SAME principle as editing your configs. Sure, you can say "IT'S NOT CHEATING BECAUSE EVERYONE ELSE CAN DO IT, TOO!".... Yeah, everyone reading this right now probably agrees that editing the configs IS cheating, too. So why isn't frame-limiting considered cheating, also? Because those people who use it, love having the advantage over the others.

This is exactly like BUNNY-HOPPING in Half-Life games. BHopping is gone now, because the dev's considered it an exploit. People bitched and complained because it was a "skill".. this is even less than a "Skill", to turn your frame-limiter off. So it wouldn't surprise me if the dev's locked this variable on.

The whole thing about the "THE GAME LETS YOU DO IT!" response, is that VC was never ment to be multiplayer. I've witnessed this, and I've ALWAYS called people cheaters when I see this in action. Now, I guess someone discovered taking off the frame limiter helps them in-game...

Considering that it's MTA, I believe we should stick to MTA's philosophy of just using the game as it is. Since they never changed any damages or current Vice City settings, I believe the frame limiter counts the same as the rest of Vice City.

:shock: