Some Technical Questions

Hey guys, I saw the screens for 0.4 and I have to say I havent been this excited since you were first announcing 0.3b!

i noticed you have a chat window "alpha'd" onto the games screen, if anyone knows, how was this done? did you make a pointer and grab the begining of the display buffer so you could draw direclty to it, byte by byte? Or did you initialize directx to grab the games exisiting HDC?

These questions arent mandatory, but if its easy enough (possibly code snippit? :wink: ) I would like to turn the admin console in to a real console.

O yeah, one other question, I actually asked this one along time ago, back when these forums were just days old, but I never recieved a clear anwser.. maybe I will this time :)

In your official statement I remember reading that you used net code that was left over in the GTA3 executable, and thats how you were able to make the mod. The thing I don't understand, is that every thing the mod actually does, could be done to gta3 regardless of whether or not it has net code in it at all. For example, the admin console can rotate, and translate cars in the game, and rotate \ warp the player as well. The actual transmission of data was (im not sure if it still is) sent by winsock. Since its just editing variables in ram (gameshark style) what benificial code would be left over?

Anyway I am curios about those topics, peace out.

We dont use any 'multiplayer code' left in by rockstar. It was the discovery of some hints towards multiplayer (such as a hidden multiplayer menu - not functional) along with the source release of the now very old gta3 console trainer that inspired IJs to create the first real multiplayer mod for gta3. No version since has even used anything from the trainer :)

Hey guys, I saw the screens for 0.4 and I have to say I havent been this excited since you were first announcing 0.3b!

i noticed you have a chat window "alpha'd" onto the games screen, if anyone knows, how was this done? did you make a pointer and grab the begining of the display buffer so you could draw direclty to it, byte by byte? Or did you initialize directx to grab the games exisiting HDC?

These questions arent mandatory, but if its easy enough (possibly code snippit? :wink: ) I would like to turn the admin console in to a real console.

O yeah, one other question, I actually asked this one along time ago, back when these forums were just days old, but I never recieved a clear anwser.. maybe I will this time :)

In your official statement I remember reading that you used net code that was left over in the GTA3 executable, and thats how you were able to make the mod. The thing I don't understand, is that every thing the mod actually does, could be done to gta3 regardless of whether or not it has net code in it at all. For example, the admin console can rotate, and translate cars in the game, and rotate \ warp the player as well. The actual transmission of data was (im not sure if it still is) sent by winsock. Since its just editing variables in ram (gameshark style) what benificial code would be left over?

Anyway I am curios about those topics, peace out.

Well we can't tell people how we do things cause that'd spoil it, but (this isn't my department) you're closer with your second suggestion that you're first I think.

eAi