Thoughts on Anti-Cheating

Guest Tekgen

I posted the solution to cheating a long time ago before version .2.2 or version .3 and it was ignored. It will be ignored I am sure when .4 comes out and possibly it can be done with the new core.

DNA bans.. you can't fake DNA when you catch a cheater you ban him based on that.. nice right

Hey it's as plausable as half the nonsense these crackpots come up with. I really did post this before too.. I have been dumb a long time now.

laugh :lol:

They can't type anything comprehensible because most cheaters are foreigners.

:lol:

Yeah, a lot of "other" governments don't take cyber crime seriously. I've noticed that a large proportion of viruses come from Russia, so I reckon that Russia should be disconnected from the rest of the world until they can sort the problems out. It's perfectly fair because our governments and corporations pay billions each year on patching and flushing out viruses.

Yeah, a lot of "other" governments don't take cyber crime seriously. I've noticed that a large proportion of viruses come from Russia, so I reckon that Russia should be disconnected from the rest of the world until they can sort the problems out. It's perfectly fair because our governments and corporations pay billions each year on patching and flushing out viruses.

They couldn't nail us with Communism, so they're nailing us with viruses.

Oh well, if it works, it works.

The only way to get a virus is to open it yourself, thus you infect yourself with it... :roll:

I've never had any bad viruses. Any that I have had, I simply roll-back and it fixes it.

The only way to get a virus is to open it yourself, thus you infect yourself with it... :roll:

I've never had any bad viruses. Any that I have had, I simply roll-back and it fixes it.

The current trend is "social engineering" which as you rightly say relies on you opening attachments. Other viruses work on security flaws in Windows and other programs to propagate without your knowledge.

And I find that rolling back actually makes the problem worse. That's another quality Microsoft product then. :roll:

On topic:

The problem with your suggestion KFG is that someone could plant a Trojan on someone else's PC and get their DNA ID. Sending data like that is never foolproof because packets can be spoofed.

Why would someone cheat on a game that isn't worth cheating on? The point of the game should be the challenge, not winning.

And regarding viruses, JonChappell is correct in saying that many new viruses utilize Windows vulnerabilities. MSBlaster, anyone? That seems to be becoming the new trend because there is little someone can do to defend against those except stay behind a non-Windows firewall and constantly update Windows. I think that the e-mail viruses which use "Social Engineering", or conning, are becoming a thing of the past. Nonchalantly neglecting these new viruses is not a good idea.

as for the viruses, you are right, social engineering just plain dosnt work, unless the viktem lived in a cave for the past 10-20 years or so.....in which case even osama might know a little sothing about viruses :lol:

I'd like to think that, really I would. But the majority of the world is stupid and gullible and many people gladly click on them despite the fact that someone they don't know is sending them "the information you requested".

If you don't fall into the category of people who click on them, consider yourself blessed as you're in a minority. They are getting more and more genuine-looking though.

as for the viruses, you are right, social engineering just plain dosnt work, unless the viktem lived in a cave for the past 10-20 years or so.....in which case even osama might know a little sothing about viruses :lol:

I'd like to think that, really I would. But the majority of the world is stupid and gullible and many people gladly click on them despite the fact that someone they don't know is sending them "the information you requested".

If you don't fall into the category of people who click on them, consider yourself blessed as you're in a minority. They are getting more and more genuine-looking though.

It's true it's like when you see Vass made a post but you still click to read it.

It's true it's like when you see Vass made a post but you still click to read it.

I sometimes download the zip files and open them (but don't run the exe files obviously) just to see how genuine-looking they are. I'm particularly fond of the way they call it "Documents.doc .exe" so that the ".exe" bit

gets cut off by the column.

Edit: Damn IE - there are meant to be about 20 spaces in between ".doc" and ".exe".

no, usually itll say

Document.doc....

when downloading if you pay attention

the .... implying there is more btw

No, the ones I get are Document.zip and the .doc.exe is inside the zip. That's how they get past Hotmail virus scanning because for some reason it doesn't scan zips.

Edit: Damn IE - there are meant to be about 20 spaces in between ".doc" and ".exe".

That's the text parser for ya. Available practically everywhere and for almost every single msg board. To get >1 spaces through, I think you'd have to manually change that from the board's settings, or use the invisible text method.

BTW I agree, most ppl still don't know the first thing about taking proper security precautions on the net and continue to be too gullible for their own good.

That's the text parser for ya. Available practically everywhere and for almost every single msg board. To get >1 spaces through, I think you'd have to manually change that from the board's settings, or use the invisible text method.

I thought that was an Internet Explorer thing because in my n00b web design days I would often try to align things with multiple spaces ( :oops:) only to find that IE would only count them as one space (and presumably other browsers too).

But it's too much hassle going to all sorts of trouble to get round it when it was just a simple demonstration.