games: Tribes and Tribes 2 -=[NOW AVAILABLE FOR FREE!]=-

l2ebel

will you get those games for free? if yes, per pc-mag-dvd or dl?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. will you get those games for free? if yes, per pc-mag-dvd or dl?

• yes, ill download it
    • yes, ill get it on dvd
    • no, (maybe post why not)
    • no, ill wait for Tribes: Vengeance

/EDIT: get it here for free:

some mirrors for the game: (538mb)

http://www.mirrored.serverseed.com/trib ... s2_gsi.exe

ftp://padme.idv.tw/Game/Tribes/Tribes2/tribes2_gsi.exe

http://www.tysoft.org/tribes2/tribes2_gsi.exe

ftp://ftp.gamesondemand.com.au/tribes/tribes2_gsi.exe

ftp://ftp.fz.se/pub/spel/tribes2/tribes2_gsi.exe

to get a serial key you have to go here: http://www.fileplanet.com/promotions/tribes2_cgw/ and fill out the form on the bottom of the page

if you dl it plz send me a pm so we can meet on a server if you...

oh and btw, its already out with the gamemagazine so all those who dont want to dl it should better check their store

/old post:

here are the news:

Vivendi Universal has sent out a press release announcing an awesome deal! Want Starsiege: Tribes and Tribes 2 for free? Read on to find out how to take advantage!

Vivendi Universal Games to Give Away Starsiege®: Tribes® and Tribes 2 Videogames for Free!

Company Celebrates Upcoming Release of Tribes: Vengeance by Offering Free Games on Computer Gaming World Magazine’s Special Edition DVD-ROM and FilePlanet.com Download

LOS ANGELES, CA (April 9, 2004) – Vivendi Universal Games announced today that it will be distributing the videogames Starsiege®: Tribes® and Tribes 2 for free on a special-edition DVD-ROM bundled with the newsstand edition of the June issue of Computer Gaming World magazine and online via FilePlanet.com. The giveaway is meant to celebrate the fourth-quarter release of Tribes: Vengeance, the next installment in the venerable Tribes franchise of PC action games.

The special versions of these games will be available in the June issue of Computer Gaming World, which will hit newsstands starting May 4, 2004, and will be simultaneously accessible for online download through FilePlanet.com.

Released in 1998, Starsiege: Tribes was the first major online-only first-person action game. The combination of team-based gameplay, expansive outdoor terrains, multiple play modes, customizable characters, and controllable vehicles created a game that was an instant hit among fans and press alike. Its sequel, Tribes 2, was released in 2001 and further refined the genre, winning numerous industry awards. Together, both games have sold nearly a million copies worldwide.

Coming in the fourth-quarter, Tribes: Vengeance is the next installment in the Tribes franchise. In Tribes: Vengeance, gamers become immersed in a roiling galactic thriller. Throughout the game, the player catches glimpses of myriad interrelated stories that unfold behind-the-scenes and is given the opportunity to experience the full scope of the single-player story through multiple viewpoints and characters. Utilizing the Vengeance Engine powered by Unreal technology, the world is brought to life with characters that have facial expressions and fully-realized personalities, vehicles that kick up dust as they pass by, and weapons that display spectacular effects.

Tribes: Vengeance will also build upon the Tribes series’ legendary online multiplayer action by continuing to focus on team-oriented goals and fluid movement. Developer Irrational Games has hired one of the Tribes community’s leading developers to head up the design and creation of the game’s multiplayer component. Particular focus is being given to making Tribes: Vengeance easily accessible to the video game modification (MOD) community. Irrational Games and VU Games have worked together to ensure that Tribes: Vengeance’s game modification tools are easily accessible and robust.

About Irrational Games

With offices in Boston, MA and Canberra, Australia, Irrational Games (http://www.irrationalgames.com) is widely recognized as one of the world’s leading game developers. With critically-acclaimed hits like System Shock 2 and Freedom Force, Irrational has earned a reputation for creating story-driven, genre-defining games. This year sees the release of the widely anticipated titles Tribes: Vengeance and Freedom Force vs. The Third Reich.

About Vivendi Universal Games

Headquartered in Los Angeles, Vivendi Universal Games (http://www.vugames.com) is a global leader in multi-platform interactive entertainment. The company develops, publishes and distributes interactive products across all major platforms including PCs, video game consoles and the Internet. Vivendi Universal Games’ portfolio of development studios and publishing labels includes Blizzard Entertainment, Coktel, Fox Interactive, Knowledge Adventure, Massive Entertainment and Sierra Entertainment. Additionally, Vivendi Universal Games co-publishes and/or distributes titles for a number of strategic partners, including Interplay, inXile entertainment, Majesco and Mythic Entertainment, among others.

i will post screens and a game description tomorrow :) but heresa a pretty nice movie (100 mb): http://gamefiles.blueyonder.co.uk/bluey ... ivX%5d.avi

Edited by Guest

Nice one Rebel. It's good to see one of the most underrated games of all time being marketed.

I played Tribes 2 first, so I never really got into the original much. I bought Tribes 2 by chance when it first came out because the screenshots on the back of the box looked quite good. I paid about £35 for it (almost $70 I think) which is a lot, but I've had about 300 hours worth of pleasure from it, so it was well worth the money. I can't say this for any other game, which is a shame. What's even more shameful is that it didn't sell well and still didn't sell when they offered it for £10 (about $18 I think).

There is absolutely no excuse now not to take up this fantastic offer. After all, you have virtually nothing to lose. I did notice that it's not the easiest game to get into, but if you do the tutorials before venturing online you should get to know the complexities of the game.

I suppose it could crudely be described as Battlefield 1942 in the future (but it came out ages before BF, btw) with pilotable vehicles, turrets, generators, inventory stations, outposts, etc, etc. all contributing to the unique gameplay. Oh yeah, and you get a jetpack :wink:

The spinfusor is one of the best weapons ever invented. Oh, and it takes place on huge maps with sprawling terrain and weather effects with up to 64 players. The graphics are pretty decent too.

It has loads of gametypes: CTF, Capture and Hold, Deathmatch, Team Deathmatch, Rabbit (a manhunt mode), Team Rabbit, Team Rabbit 2 (a bit like football / hockey), Hunters (really fun - you kill people for flags and pass them through a goal), Team Hunters.

Official Site: http://www.tribes2.com

Fan sites: http://www.planettribes.com , http://www.tribalwar.com , http://www.tribes2maps.com

I was going to post some screenshots, but you can't really do it justice with 2 or 3, so check out the Press screenies here: http://www.planettribes.com/tribes2/images.shtml

Can someone tell me what Tribes 2 is anyways? I've heard of it, but I've never seen it.

That'll explain why it didn't sell well, I suppose :roll:

hell im gettin the dvd.

never played tribes either, started off w/ tribes2 when it came out basically. it was my first game ive ever purchased and was well worth my $70. i think it has the best multiplayer system ever (search buddies, login so u dont need to carry round ur cdkey or b scared to get it stolen).

back in the day it was really fun w/ all the good mods like the 1st Meltdown and meltdown2, lucidmod, anarchy, mechina, warped, ninjamod, and a few others i forgot. but now either the mods r discontinued (not updated for latest t2 patch) or they made it gay like meltdown (renamed to war2002/3)

those were the days

edit: fixed a typo, stupid mild dyslexia

Edited by Guest
back in the day it was really fun w/ all the good mods like the 1st Meltdown and meltdown2, lucidmod, anarchy, mechina, warped, ninjamod, and a few others i forgot. but now either the mods r discontinued (not updated for latest t2 patch) or they made it gay like meltdown (renamed to war2002/3)

Hopefully that'll change with these free versions out (as long as they are well publicised).

ok back from work now lemme explain some

tribes (2) is a first person shooter with jetpacks, futuristic styled weapons vehicles and i would say its the hardest fps out there since you cant just aim at someone and shoot while flying at 100 mph so you have to compute the distances and speeds of you and him + the used weapon...

to hit someone in midair is the hard thing to master and since you will never make it to a perfect level the game never gets boring

the game:

when you re/spawn you are a scout (light warrior only 3 weapons but best agility, good for capturing a flag and if you need to be fast and/or fly high..) you can go to an inventory station and transform yourself into an assault warrior (i personally played like 3 times as an assault, i dont like those middle things, can carry 4 weapons a bit more health but slower)

or you can be a juggernaut (much health pretty slow but can carry 5 weapons + some weapons a scout or assault cant use, good for defending or base rape)

packs:

there are many different packs but you can only carry 1 at once:

energy pack: gives you more energy to fly and for some weapons (those who use energy) i choose this pack almost all the time

inv pack: with it you can deploy 1 inventory station, anywhere, but you cant change your warrior, only ammo and i think health

repair pack: used to repair your base (generator,turrets inv stations....)

shield pack: for more hp's

many more...

weapons styles:

rocket launcher style (most used for midairs but also good for rocket jumps/fly's)

heat seeking rpg (not available for scouts)

sniper rifle (uses energy, the more energy the more damage)

grenade launchers (normal gl shoots fast but doesnt kill a scout in 1 shot, mortar is actually also a gl but much slower but the strongest weapon in game, only for juggernauts)

many other guns like the elf gun (drains energy, used to keep scouts on ground)

vehicles:

there are many vehicles, from flying bikes to tanks, bombers, fast ship with only 1 gun, 6 ppl transport ship.....all the stuff needed for team or solo work to get a vehicle you just have to step on a vehicle pad and choose

it will definitely take some hours to experience and learn the game, i can still remember myself hitting the ground too hard and died coz i never managed my energy and forgot to keep some for the landing

this game will require all of your fps skills or maybe youll just specify yourself on the vehicles and make yourself a pro pilot, its up to you

heres a trailer which shows a pretty nice planned flag cap:

ftp://ftp.sierra.com/pub/goodies/media/ ... r_300k.wmv (3mb)

and here are some screens:

ready to bomb their base?

tribes2.jpg

transporter:

screenshot_tribes2.jpg

scout flyer:

Tribes2.jpg

some ppl playing stupid:

6.jpg

tribes2_4.jpg

Tribes2c.jpg

Tribes2b.jpg

baseplusintro.jpg

sorry to the 56k'ers :lol:

edit, some things i forgot:

-i never saw a cheater in T2, never ever! crazy hu?

-has a pretty good netcode but well what do i know about that :P

-i started with tribes 2, never played tribes but i think if you play T2 on classic you got the same so i would suggest everyone to dl T2 first (whatelse)

im suprised how many ppl dl it instead of getting the mag (maybe you wont mod it)

i think that was all for the moment :)

I usually have assault armour (the middle one) along with a spinfusor, chaingun, missile launcher and plasma rifle. I always have the repair pack so that I can repair myself if people start firing at me when I have the flag.

I agree with Rebel in that I've never seen a cheater either (dunno why - I'm not complaining though).

And I would well advise that you check out the video clip. Unfortunately, I've never had a match as good as that one, but it's perfectly possible to pull one off with the right people (and voice comms).

• 3 weeks later...

hey fellaz, time to get the game :)

some mirrors for the game: (538mb)

http://www.mirrored.serverseed.com/trib ... s2_gsi.exe

ftp://padme.idv.tw/Game/Tribes/Tribes2/tribes2_gsi.exe

http://www.tysoft.org/tribes2/tribes2_gsi.exe

ftp://ftp.fz.se/pub/spel/tribes2/tribes2_gsi.exe

to get a serial key you have to go here: http://www.fileplanet.com/promotions/tribes2_cgw/ and fill out the form on the bottom of the page

if you dl it plz send me a pm so we can meet on a server :) if you...

oh and btw, its already out with the gamemagazine so all those who dont want to dl it should better check their store

ill try them if the game is downloaded

btw is lag a big problem there?

Nope, not really. The netcode is pretty efficient, and pings of 100-150 don't make a noticeable difference. Also, I tend to find on a 64 player server that lower performance is due to the number of characters being drawn on-screen at once, and not actually due to high ping.

hehe Tribes1 was great, So I was quick to buy tribes2 when it came out, the Tribes games are both in my top 10 list. Tribes 2 really does a great job w/ vehicles, tribes1 is just damn intense.

Great game, everyone should play this at least long enough to get decent (which could take a while).. if they want to call themselves a gamer.