A Lurker's Rant

Guest reborn

Hello, I usually lurk in forums, including this one, but I had to speak out here. I am an avid Grand Theft Auto fan. I have bought and paid for Grand Theft Auto, Grand Theft Auto: London 69', Grand Theft Auto: 2, Grand Theft Auto: 3, and Grand Theft Auto: VC. Now in the case of GTA3 and VC I happen to own the PC versions of these. I have seen the moderators kill topics regarding "no-cd patches and cracks".

I paid for my copy of Vice City, and I use a no-cd patch with it, why you ask? It is quite simple, the CD Protections these days can actually CREATE errors on legitimate copies of games. This isn't the only game I have this problem with, Diablo 2, Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow, and UT2004 are others with this same problem. I have two drives, a CD-RW and a DVD-Rom. Both have the same exact errors and the same crashes in an attempt to start the game without a no-cd patch. This is not a request to have you "allow" no-cd patches. I know well and enough why the game's version has to be the same. This is a Rant. I am tired of you instantly shooting down possibly legitimate requests for help regarding CD errors and possible patches. Why am I in this Forum? I do play MTA:VC, and I play it without errors and WITH my no-cd patch, thank you. It is an extremely simple method to use a no-cd patch to get past a check by your program on the game's version. This could possibly also be used to "cheat", and as such, I will not post it.

If a Developer or Moderator emails me, I will tell them how...if they promise not to "kill" my only way of the playing the game. Ironically, I did not have these CD issues with Windows 98/SE. I am running Windows 2000 Professional with Service Pack 4. I have installed friend's CD-Rom drives to no avail. It is not an issue with my motherboard or IDE's. I own an ASUS Mobo, Athlon XP 2000+, 512mb Corsair XMS 3200 DDR Ram, Radeon 9500 Pro,"2" 40gb Western Digital 7200 Rpm Caviar HDD, 48x12x48 CD-RW, 16x DVD-Rom, 350 watt Power supply, ThermalTake Fan/Heatsink, VIA Based Chipset, and a pretty neon in my case.

All I am asking for is some leniency in dealing with people who "claim" to have a legitimate reason for wanting to use a no-cd patch. Some of us out there are actually stuck with problems with CD's, and it is becoming an increasing problem as the CD Protections get tougher and continually make legitimate copies unreadable.

I think a large percentage of people who play MTA use no-cd patches with no problems... I'm not sure what your problem is that requires you to "get past" the check by MTA on the version. That check is just there to make it easier to play, not to stop people using no-cd patches. The MTA team obviously doesn't want to condone the uses of illegal (or not) no-cd patches, because it just doesn't look good to suggest people use illegal software. At no point have MTA tried to stop people using no-cd patches, and MTA works with most of them that are out there.

eAi

Atleast as far as what Reborn is saying about the CD drives being a pain in the butt I can see where hes coming from. I have a 52X Benq drive that irritates the hell out of me when I go to install Vice City and some other games, but I know its not exactly the drive because its brand new and on other things its fine. I think some of it has to do with the speed that the CDrom tries to read the CD. Maybe fast isn't always the best.

With the above mentioned like eAi said I have used the NoCD off and on with no problems resulting either with VC or with MTA... Haven't so far anywayz:> Never needed to get past any checks in MTA either, just works without tinkering with it.

-Smillie

We have to understand there's nothing wrong with talking about no-cd cracks, as long as the game is bought, which it isn't in most cases.

But isn't it against the law to make a crack? This stuff always confuses me because no-one can seem to decide what's legal and what's not.

Well as its editing the EXE its illegal (EULA), but then people say "we bought it, so we should be able to do what the hell we like with it", so thats the other argument. Theres also of course the "backup" argument ("i want to backup my game cd in case it gets damaged, and it won't let me!"), but generally, most people do it because "I hax'd it of an FTP liek k?" or "mah m8 gave it to meh liek!!1111!one".

eAi

But isn't it against the law to make a crack? This stuff always confuses me because no-one can seem to decide what's legal and what's not.

THAT is why they still exist lol, the whole "distributed for educational purposes" deal...vice is the only game i've ever used one on tho, because even WITH a full install, it still tries to read off the damned cd...which on a laptop doesn't go over well when i'm trying to blast somebody

i use a crack or no-cd thingy ma jig coz my dvd player is like 7 yrs old and now it cant read some cds i recently bought VC 4 PC but and i copied it for back just in case so now my original cds are really broken i use the copied 1s i installed the game on my dads cpu usin my portable usb hard disk drive which i installed the vc on then i donwloaded the no-cd crack to use i had no probs wot so ever but only when mta freezes the cpu or it restarts while i am playing the game but i aint had a prob :lol:

my good prediction of a no-cd crack 10/10

its a must download and get form ur local downloads url

this makes u run gta VC on pc with out cd