stuff we do NOT want in the next release

MAD_BOY

k well w/e, its the only reason why I play it, they can do what ever they want but im not hurting anyone by playing in areas set up for modding and just doing it to go faster, seriously, I suck at DM and dont play it, so why do you guys care?

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For several reasons, mta isnt designed to run with any modifications, you risk increasing instability for not only yourself but everyone else on the server. Making mta appear to be much more 'crashy' than it actually is. People tend to blend over from stunt to dm, (bad enough in stunt, others will wonder wth they cant earn the same kind of money you fdo and make the same kind of stunts you do, not to mention 'fair races'), using thier trainers and handling changes/model changes in there too. People like yourself will often give out whatever you use to get around our prevention, spreading it into the hands of people who want to do nothing but go into servers and spoil the fun for everyone else. Last but by NO MEANS least you must be using a cracked version of our client which is against our EULA and generally a really shitty thing for you or anyone else to do.

fuck fine. jesus, I made sure I would ask the admin if I were aloud in before I played, and by sticking to certain servers I would and others accept that there could be increase crashs, I dont help people mod, if they want than they can go figure it out, As for it being against the rules and a shitty thing to do, I guess I cant say much, so I will stop talking about it and get out of this thread.

Hmmm, guess I forgot about this, with exams and other things in my way these days :/. Oh well, here we go again.

We dont want to encourage people to sit in the client chatting. Its a means to an end not a miniature IRC program.

Dropped chat: try it yourself, ask others, your chat isn't being dropped when you dont see it. (but of course you know better than the team right?)

Theres a much more logical way to deal with pm sending, one that you will see in its initial stages in 0.4.

Assuming a simple tweak like that could change the chatting habits of everyone connecting to game servers to play is IMO ridiculous to say the least. Like any other place, there are people with all kinds of chatting behaviour playing this mod, from completely silent (usually those that go "undercover"), or mostly reticent, to normal social talking when there's no action around and all the way to IRC junky MTAers that aren't even ingame but stay on for hours makin small talk (often at their gang's servs). So by giving them a way to get around retyping long messages, you think all hell would break loose and we'd have floods everywhere? Wow. I can't even think how that'd be a serious possibility, let alone the most probable one in your mind. I mean, have you seen that before elsewhere or something?

On to text dropping, here's some more practical proof on what I've been trying to get across to you. As you yourself stated in some other thread, yesterday you were on the official 10 for quite some time. So was I. So were others like Db, G-Theft and KFC's Subzero to name just a few. Now mostly the text would show and everything would be cool, but on occation I'd have to retype the same thing 4-5 times to finally see it. I saw G-Theft getting that a few times from his text coming up twice, apparently while he was trying to get it through.

Contrary to this though, I remember asking the crowd if my msg's were coming out double on two distinct occations and both times ppl said no; also I never received any negative comment about saying the same thing again and again at any time while others would sometimes say things like "it doesn't show what I type" when nothing would appear in my chatbox either.

Edit: BTW (and back to the spamming chaos my suggestion would cause for a sec), at some point soon after Anon left, there was some cheater roaming around and that pissed one guy off enough for him to start flooding us with requests to the admin to kick him. He musta done that around 20-30 times before we finally got him to shut up and all of that witht he magic of Ctrl-V, so I'll rest my case on that.

Apropos, you can verify the truth of everything I mentioned by reviewing the chat logs from yesterday, or asking anyone of the ppl I mentioned, if you won't take my word for it.

/Edit

Maybe it's just me, but I'd say all this is a common thing in MTA servs and it paints a fairly accurate discription of what's really going on: sometimes text gets across, but doesn't come back and other times, it just doesn't reach the server at all. IMO that's consistent with what I know about UDP and that's what I've been saying all along. Alas, you won't hear it, since this "knowing better than the team" complex thing you seem to got going on at times kicked in again. And whenever you use that presumed irrebutable holy-hand-grenade-of-an-argument, everyone's supposed to sit down and stfu, right?

Once and for all I'd just like to enlighten you about a small fact of life: the MTA team doesn't know everything and there are lots of people in this world and in this message board that probably know more than you guys about different things and scientific fields including computer science, programming, or whatever you were thinking of when you tossed that retort at me. Personally I reckon there's a good chance I know a bunch of stuff more, or just as good, as some of you do and another bunch better than any of you - IT speaking that is. Still leaves much for you to know better than me, so don't rush to get your crumpets in a bunch though. Anyway, turning this into a knowledge competition is the lamest thing that could happen IMO, not to mention it doesn't change facts, such as the UDP protocol's behaviour for one. Or my respect for your team and its efforts; just setting the record straight here...

Rant done, over and out.

Well, it's my assumption (I've never actually seen what happens because VC exits obviously) that when it crashes, it leaves me just frozen in one spot, as if I were pausing.

And why would they think I'm a retard?

Crashing happens to everyone from as frequently as every hour down to every second minute if there's some crash ripple spreading out because of modders. Dealing with it the way you say you do would definitely constitute monumental stupidity and overreaction.

Nobody's gonna think you pause just cause you crashed; it takes considerably longer time for that to happen and a suspicious silence on your part as well. Just say "Crash" like most do when it happens and hit start game again. Once you're in the character selection screen again, your actor will be removed from other ppl's screens. That way you don't risk losing your spot or your score over nothing. Or look like a retard :P.

Also,

no comment ^^

Brilliant! That's the definition of spam right there: to post when you have nothing to comment on.

Edited by Guest

Prokopis, I don't think your rant is at all justified, but anyway, all MrBump meant by "but of course you know better than the team right?" that sparked off that rant, was that we have the source, we wrote it, so we know its problems. Its entirely possible we're loosing some packets over udp, but I don't think Bump is the best one to comment on such things (not me, as I've not done any old-core dev work), so maybe someone else on the team can clear this up later.

eAi