Cancelled.

Appreciate your effort but I believe this will be harder than you might think. I don't know how far into it you've gotten, nor do I want to lower your encouragement to continue with it.

But I've been doing plenty of 3D Modeling as a side-hobby of mine for a few years, and as such I've used various software to see how they perform and which one I find the best suitable for me and my needs. And it is to my understanding that while Google SketchUp is sleek and simple, it sports a format which is infuriatingly annoying to convert to other formats.

Even to formats which are today considered standard. You'll at most times have to pass the original mesh through more than one software to get the format you desire, which is much less than optimal.

And as Woovie mentioned, how will you manage to convert it from DAE or KMZ to DFF? If you can't do that, I don't see much use since we'd then have to import it into a software such as 3ds Max either way...

Either way, I appreciate the effort you're putting into it since a lot of people would want such a converter. I wish you the best of luck! :)

I haven't got a clue on how the Sketch Up models are actually saved, but for instance SVG files can be converted with your own system and you can make it work pretty well. You just need to know math enough well to make it possible.

If the Sketch Up files are similarly constructed like SVG, then it's very much possible to make it work as long as the person doing it has a good clue on mathematics and in some points they do need shaders as well.

• 3 months later...
I don't see why you'd use SketchUp in the first place to create models. Use 3DS, even Zmodeler, if you have to.

Anyway, nice.

Modeling in SketchUp can be a bitch, but if you know what to do to create models that don't bug ingame (and SU is quite famous for that) AND you know how to create proper models at all, it can be a very handy programme. I have never used programmes other than SketchUp for moddeling and was able to create mods varying from vehiclemods to skinmods and mapmods ( http://www.gtagarage.com/mods/results.php?S=1152437 ). I'm not posting this to promote my mods, I just want to disprove the idea that Sketchup is not a good programme for GTAModding. At the end of the road you still need 3dsMax for proper conversion to SA though, for example to prelight your model, add reflection to textures et cetera.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...