using spectator mode to judge cheating

I was just curious as to how well spectator mode will display movement, shots fired etc,

Many times when someone is lagging and can't kill another player, they accuse the nonlagger as a cheater(or vice versa). For the nonlagger it simply appears the other is shooting into random space.

Will spectator mode properly display this? I've never had a third person around to act as the 'camera' in such a situation. I could only assume that spec mode would show the same events as if you were ingame and standing there.

I ask because many of the admins are waiting for spec mode to judge who is cheating or not, and if it displays events wrong, this could result in some bad judgements. Although I don't particularly care to play with laggers, that doesn't mean I don't believe they should lose or gain rights in such matters.

Spectator Mode means you did go in game

I think it will be similar to what you see when you look at a fight now. Except you don't have to worry about being shot. If they added spectator mode to the game as it is now there would be no difference but hopefully the new games added animations and improved sync will fix some of these concerns

It will be real easy to find out who is flying a truck if that is still possible in the next verison or speedhacks

Aside from that there is a bunch of non cheating uses for the mode and I can't wait for it.... but I will

yeah kung lao is on the right track,

as a spectator you may still see shots hit on your side, (as a 3rd party objective) but that may not be the case for the person getting shot. Every player has their own bit of latency that is different from everyone elses, as such, everything you see is just slightly different than what everyone else does. Makes for a very difficult situation to keep things synced,but we are working on it.

Kent

Spectator mode will just offer ppl the ability to quickly go in and see what's happening in the serv generally or with a certain player whom ppl may suspect to be cheating. Whether that's gonna be 100% accurate and how synced with the serv it's gonna be, will probly depend on the connection of the spectator and the efficiency of the netcode.

Besides like most games with spectating ability, to the system the observer isn't a completely different entity than the players; the same data reception model applies to them as well only they just don't send any (well not counting the bind to next player queries anyway). I'm guessing at full incorporation stage of SM into MTA, a user will be able to switch from player to observer without even having to change settings and reconnect their client or anything. Kinda like UT2004 :].

Spectator mode is as accurate as normal MTA, you see almost exactly what the player you're spectating sees, except of course whatever gets change by MTA (i.e. lag, bad shooting accuracy or whatever)...

eAi

thats not completely accurate eAi, because you are also seeing what the player you are spectating did on a bit of a delay. (approx their ping/2 + your ping/2).

the most accurate description would be you are seeing what you would see if you were standing there watching 2 other people fight

well, lets talk about the obvious things spectator will kill:

It would kill illigal weapons. you spactate a guy running with a spas? no spas server? KICKBANKILL!

It will kill warping. you spactate a guy in one location, and 1 sec later, hes on the other part of vice city? KICKBANKILL!!

It will kill godmode. we all saw the health place in spactator mode, it gets back to 100? KICKBANKILLKILLKILL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

now that the cheaters are banned, we can turn to the other GOOD things:

spactator mode is the missing piece for LMS game mode, if a guy dies he automaticaly warps(or whatever) to spectator mode, whilest the others see his name on the scoreboard as "dead" or "spectating".

if they NOT gonna implant this game mode (and be dumb by it :wink:) then it still would be easy to use in gang wars.. like if someone dies, he MUST go to spectator mode, because when he goes into spectator, the scoreboard goes "spectating".

if a guy dies he automaticaly warps(or whatever) to spectator mode, whilest the others see his name on the scoreboard as "dead" or "spectating".

this would make sense only in certain, new game modi which are limited to a certain time. When the turn/time limit is up then everyone, incl. the waitng dead spectators are joining the game again.

Needles to say, this is DUMB and totally contradicts the philosophy (flexibility and freedom to act) behind VC..if i want some stupid time limited/turn absed game then i play America's Army (which i hate btw) and not MTA.

And....YOU can of course stay there in spectator mode and 'watch'...as for MY part, i will of course re-connect to the game because i want to PLAY and not being some dead 'spectator'. (It's like jail [because you are unable to play because you have to wait a certain time until the round is over....what other reason should there be behind 'dying and going to spectator mode' instead of 'dying and re-starting and continue playing'

Please dont screw up a otherwise good game with weird ideas which seem to be taken from OTHER games .

>>>

It would kill illigal weapons. you spactate a guy running with a spas? no spas server? KICKBANKILL!

It will kill warping. you spactate a guy in one location, and 1 sec later, hes on the other part of vice city? KICKBANKILL!!

It will kill godmode. we all saw the health place in spactator mode, it gets back to 100? KICKBANKILLKILLKILL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

>>>

it will kill nothing since (at least now) we are not at a point where "what you see is actually what happens"

I am just waiting for all the people 'spectating' alleged cheaters and seing them warping and doing stuff because of lags and siimiliar - and i think it's ridiculous to leave the decision whether someone cheats or not to the people.

This decision must be made in the code and not by subjective 'observations' what people THINK they see or not.

(eg. i see people warping all the time....what proves that ? Nothing ! Ok, maybe lag...)

Oh yeah...let's do it like you propose: KICKBANKILL !!!

I am sure where heading towards pleasant times in MTA..let's start with KICKBANKILL everyone who is seen warping :)

right on lara... :)

can't remember the times I killed some one right outside the robbers spawn (yeah call me spawnkiller, but that's beside this point) and got an m60 of their ass.. And I know for shure these people are not cheating..

So spectating some one when he uses a gun that is not normaly in mta, and kicking him out for it..:) That would get the posts on this forum up, couse I think they will come in here to complain.. :)

as for the game mode, i've heard of it before to use mainly in gang wars, or practice bouts. dunno if i'd like it on a normal server tho.

and as for gtatv, wouldn't that be a bit taxing on the upstream? It's bad enough even for some of us dsl people as is hehe