The "How To popular MTA Server"

Zango

• Discord Moderators

judWFVh.png

S2mYV16.png

vIMUFjd.png

Examples of bad server names:

3scOYtJ.png

Instead of labeling your server in a 'foreign' language, you should include a tag eg. [ Arabic only / كون ارابيسك ]

While the MTA browser would benefit from a "server language" tag for filtering these out, MTA is used widely by Russian, Spanish, Arabic, Turkish, German and English people.

Until L10n is implemented, English is the only language for the interface and ties the community together. Consider the majority of the players don't even understand the alphabet used.

The servers list is incredibly crammed as it is.

Comprehensibility and message

What do you want to tell the world about your server on one line?

LBox9f9.png

The people who frequented your server before it went offline can most likely deduce that "it's back", if it's online.

Extensive use of symbols is not good practice neither.

There is very little margin between server listings in the browser. Symbols and other FX only reduces the readability.

A better way to display above server

SMT #2 DD Only  |  www.mtasa.cz  |  [EN CZ SK PL] 

Unlike other multiplayer games it's pretty much only the "Name", "Players" and "Ping" columns which are effectively used.

The "Gamemode" column would correspond to something like the "Map" column in Counter Strike. However there is no useful information to draw from this tag.

Examples are "MTA:SA" "play" "GangsWar v3.7" "RPG v1.2 Beta" "Roleplay" "DayZ" "Everything" "DD" "U.S Car Mods" "GTA4"

It's not used consistently and is as such useless. "Race" "Roleplay" "Freeroam" "Deathmatch" would be good tags for this, but majority of servers employ a kind of fused gameplay with elements from all traditional gamemodes. MTA is incredibly versatile and many servers float together. Perhaps a "theme" would be better for the job. "Realism", "Vehicles", "Zombies", etc.

The search feature of the browser only searches in the "Name" rows as well.

With all this great knowledge we just gained, we know a good server name contains

What (short) theme, gamemode or style describes your server

Unique name and/or domain

Air

Similarly a server name should not contain

"24/7"

Version of MTA

Any characters outside below characterset ABSOLUTELY PROHIBITED

THE characterset for MTA server names

abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz 
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ 
. , ' `´ * ^ ~ / [ ] \ ( ) # | - _ % & { } : ; 

Examples of good server names that meet the above requirements

EWCaxgB.png

J28qd5t.png

tl;dr

Concise, no unnecessary symbols, "Gamemode" tag is useless.

S2mYV16.png

pW45JCN.png

Your interface is very important. Please consider the following.

Only you understand how your server works

A new player on your server is only barely accustomed to basic server binds F9 (help menu) F11 (map) and commands like /login and /register

If you don't introduce people to your server, they will most likely leave.

This spawn screen on "FFS Gaming" is self-explanatory

lv1eTyU.png

Intuitive, clean and easy.

If you don't use a similar solution, you must instruct the user by screen dialogues or a help page.

An example of a bad "help" page:

ksysIi7.png

Crammed and annoying.

Revolutionary design techniques for a good interface

• Sorting data for display (eg. alphabetically)
  • Color combinations
  • Air between text and border

The following are examples of good GUI

"FFS gaming" help window and bottom HUD

GlNGxmT.png

Consistent use of colors

v2cPNwp.png

SAUR

xXmtnk9.png

GTO (Grand Theft Online) HUD

[Woovie said it sucked]

S2mYV16.png

1gMTJvt.png

A rule of thumb is to keep your server's total necessary download below 15MB.

With this size and the "world average" Internet speed it will take, averagely, just under a minute.

Additional data you can transfer to the client using fetchRemote, triggerServerEvent and the future downloadFile.

Long downloads will keep impatient players away.

Showcase:

YhKBvVD.png

S2mYV16.png

ErHow69.png

MTA is open source

A considerable amount of the players cannot understand English

Copying the entire concept and gameplay off another server won't work

S2mYV16.png

Please reply if you have any suggestions for the recipe.

Edited by Guest

Well :wink:

Sure the server need a . . . good and new scripts - free lag - and organization.

Organization example : Scripters - PhotoShopers - Mappers - Web Master - Youtubers

Anyway i remember my server race in the 2009 with pathetic scripts and more shitt.

The first two months max 5/32 player online,but after 6/7 months the server everytime full 32/32.

Position 18 :wink:

yer.png

Anyway i remember my server race in the 2009 with pathetic scripts and more :~.

The first two months max 5/32 player online,but after 6/7 months the server everytime full 32/32.

my server race in the 2009

the fact it still has dkr means its living from an old age. show it from the server browser.

Yeah.... You might want to read before you actually post.

You state that this is a good design

E5uI6Ec.png

The icons being on the left 'and' right of the bar give the impression of either they both relate, or you can't immediately sell which relates. That's a bit of a bugger.

also bad aligning of location

• Discord Moderators

About the best I could find haha

It makes no sense, you're right, but at first glance it looked good. It was mostly to emphasize on the stuff with design coherency (colors).

Removed it, please edit the post with a better example or reply. Added an example of a fabulous 820MB of download as well.

• Discord Moderators

I usually don't enter the hardcore tokyo drift servers in fear that my PC collapses...

Specific picture is from a roleplaying server I think.

It's something to reflect on as a community though. If you go in the shoes of a new player you end up downloading 2GB of shit from the first 20 servers.

• Discord Moderators

Joining the twenty most popular servers (sorted by playercount) I had to download 3,400MB

One of the servers, not surprisingly Russian, had an astonishing 1.2GB of download on it's own.

Not everyone is running on fiber yet and there's still a lot of people who are restricted by a monthly quote.

I understand the importance of transferring models for your map, but complete visual modifications can be transferred optionally in-game.

Functionality has been implemented to assist this issue, as you can prioritise the bandwidth spend transferring data in events (triggerLatentServerEvent)