Grand Theft Auto Galore *TGA mirror added*

not for us :(

I don't mean to be rude here, but I don't create movies for others. I create it for my self, and I post it so others who might wanna see it can. If I ever do make a movie for someone else, they will deside how bit it should be, not me. And I rather have it look good and take a while to download, than a 10 min download and it looks like shit.

i know wut ur talkin about, but maybe i wuzsnt clear anough. i think i just meant that u should've provided the option like i did to download it split into like 5 or 6 rars or something. since you can download like 2 or 3 at a time, you can have the download over in like 15 mins :)

When i get the chance, ill watch the vid :)

Optimal visual quality my ass. You're gonna make me re-encode and upload 150 megs just to show you there's no difference.

Obviously there is a difference since I chose this filesize, and not one of the smaller ones.

And I really got a kick outta you first telling me that the music deal is a matter of taste and then claiming it was good, because you liked it. So which one is it? Was it really good, or did you just like it? Lol @ finding the Knife After Dark ad funny though; now that's funny.

First I said it's a matter of tast, and then I said I really liked it (so it's obviously my taste). The fact that you don't like that kind of music is your taste, not mine. And the humor is also a matter of taste. I happen to think those commercials are very funny, if not, I wouldn't have used them in the movie.

One last thing just to set the record straight. I like to think of myself as a patient and persistant person. Up to 15 days ago I was a 56ker and it'd been that way for I dunno... forever. Still it never stoppped me from downloading around 1.5 Gigs of VC stunt vids as well as another 300megs of movies from other games since the time I got interested in that sorta thing. All that time, I've never - I repeat NEVER - come across even one clip with a bitrate higher than 2000, when many of them looked crystal clear. I can't give you an exact number but I think for every vid I've kept, there're probly 2 more I didn't and I still have about 50 in my collection now. On top of that I've re-encoded and fiddled with dozens of other vids from TV series to anything else to fit them in CDs for friends and myself. You do the math and tell me if what I've seen is enough. Or do I need to get another 900 to have a right to debate with an astute authority in the field such as yourself? Please...

In the list you provided me with in an earlier post, and of those I checked, one of them had a higher bitrate than mine, but it had very bad visual quality and the action was very choppy. Among the others there were only two that had as smooth as the one in my movie, and one had the same resoluition, but it was very close to the bitrate I have in my movie. The other with smooth action had a lower bitrate, sure, but it had black edges around it, so the real resolution is 532x250, so the bitrate needed to get the same visual quality is lower. The rest had very low visual quality and choppy action. But you don't complain about those at all. Just mine because it's big. You don't seem to take in mind that the action is very smooth, it looks good and it's a long vid. Those thing sum up in high bitrate and therefore a big file.

You can't compare regular series and movies to gaming movies when it comes to bitrate/filesize as gaming movies has usually has way more moviement per second than regular series/movies. So naturally the bitrate needed is lower to get good visual quality.

And when I mentioned the amount of gaming movies I have, it was firstly because you did, and secondly and more important, to let you know that I've seen my share of gaming movies and lots of those, actually, just about all the best have a high bitrate.

Here is a list of some of the movies I checked from your list which shows filesize, duration, resolution, MiB per minute and quality of the action in them:

Moviename:        time:   size:     MiBpm*: | res:    | action: | quality:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
GTAG:             17.46 / 325 MiB = 18.3    | 640x480 | smooth  | good
Ride'em, Tommy!:  10.08 / 158 MiB = 15.8    | 640x480 | smooth  | good
VoodooPeople:     06.20 / 140 MiB = 22.1    | 640x480 | smooth  | pixelated, but ok
sin_act1:         15.03 / 150 MiB = 10.0    | 352x240 | choppy  | bad
sin_act2:         20.38 / 205 MiB =  9.9    | 352x240 | choppy  | medium
stunt'd:          04.57 /  57 MiB = 10.2    | 640x300 | smooth  | good (really 532x250 without black edges)
AMPT Stunt Reel:  11.39 / 111 MiB =  9.5    | 352x288 | smooth  | bad

MiBpm = MiB per minute

You wanna keep making 2300kbps movies with half a CD's filesize, fine by me. Just don't argue that it's the quality or even sane thing to do. Ask anybody.

Maybe you should go over to sites like own-age.com and planetquake3.net and download the most popular movies and see what bitrate they use. And see if people actually complain that they are big, or are happy about the visual quality they have. So you really can't ask anybody.

Nice vid. That so called GTA Rap song's name is actually Grand Theft Auto (also known as Joyride) performed by Da Shootaz.

Ok. Thanks :) I downloaded some audio files from the Rockstar website, and two of them had this rap in it, and it was only called GTA Rap, so I figured that that was it's name. I'll update it's ID3 tag right away =)

Ok first of all, I'm gonna skip the whole issue of comparing compressing capabilities and visual attributes of PC games material to movies and TV series since it is a) heavily content-specific and b) also depends on choosing the optimal codec and encoding options except fot the bitrate obviously. I'll only say, it's not safe to claim that games' vids are usually messier to encode than live action. That's at best guessing/assuming and we all kow what that does.

One more thing to get out of the way:

To be completely honest with ya, I posted that top 10 for Andy to see that his vids are usually bigger than anyone else's. Just trying to make a point there, but I guess he sees only what he wants to see. Oh well... Anyway, posting them didn't mean that I've seen them all. In fact - unluckily for me, since they're brought up now - Voodoo People and Ride 'em are both vids I haven't seen. In the first one's case, because I knew it was yet another vid with OLD_NICK's favourite bike, the Ducati, which I'm not too fond of and in the latter one's, it just didn't happen, no reason. Therefore I couldn't comment on their visual smoothness or anything else if I want to be honest here. I have however seen the other 8. Now on to the main point.

It seems there's no chance to agree with you even on the most basic things. I can accept that music or humour preferences are a matter of taste and therefore you'll get different opinions on that from different ppl; I've stated mine and you did yours. There are tons upon tons of varied music styles and humourous material that appeal to ppl and that easily explains why we're not seeing eye to eye on this one. So no use going back n' forth 'bout that one.

Suggesting however that bitrate is equally subjective is bordering ridiculousness. I mean assuming no one's fuc,king blind here and our monitors were made in the last decade, I can't imagine how vids that to others would appear clear and crisp, seem to you just crap and substandard. Conversely what IMO is completely excessive, seems to be your definition of "just right". I don't see where that impression comes from; I really don't. I mean unless you got wmv's somehow mixed up with cable or sat TV in your head, I couldn't guess why you're expecting cinema quality from productions that aren't meant to be judged by their looks alone, rather by their content creativity, editing originality, soundtrack AND visual quality. Ppl wipe their asses with TP, you want silk :?.

So, I'll state my case yet again in hopes it gets through this time around: There is NO practical visual quality gain in beefing up the bitrate above the level of 1800-1900kbps. This ISN'T a matter of personal opinion. The fact that no one here has ever asked for vids to be that high in that department, should stress this even more, despite what you or the community you come from may believe. Call me stupid, but I'd like to think 5k people here plus the millions of others sharing billions of vids over the net can't be that wrong on what a sufficient bitrate is and that only the few hundred (thousands even? dunno) good people of own-age.com and planetquake3.net have really grasped the workings of quality encoding.

THAT is why you don't usually see me or most other members of this community nag about bitrate, unless it's about a vid that has serious issues like a problematic framerate (some of ampt's vids were like that), or a really small resolution (less than 400x300); other than that, mostly everything else is accepted without comment, since we care more about the stunts than the looks. Putting out 320meg vids just to show ppl a bunch of goofy gags and stunts that are mostly old news, really puts ppl's tolerance to test. And since you yourself mentioned that it was a long production, you should've expected it to bloat like it did and used a lower bitrate even if it'd hurt your heightened sense of optical beauty. Stunt'd, LBtrw's v.4 and Motor Rush are a few good examples of balancing quality and filesize to follow.

IMO you got your priorities a lil messed up and I won't mind tellin ya again and again until it sinks in. I will go check out the communities you mentioned and the vids they usually deal with for good measure, but I don't think that will change my views on what the reasonable and realistic traits of online distributable movies should be even slightly.

PS: W-T-F is that "MiB" indicator? I've seen it a few times before and wondered. If it's supposed to mean megabyte, then FYI the short for that is MB. MiB means... nothing, I dunno :?. Men in Black maybe.

PPS: You didn't answer me one thing in your last post BTW: Have you considered making other ppl's vids from their caps? I'll say again you seem pretty good with tools like Adobe Pro (which I can't use since I've got win2kz :x :x :x). It'd really help.

Here is a link for you. You might not agree, but I'll still use Mi and Ki ;) So don't even bother starting a discussion about it as I will just ignore it ;) Sorry.

Mostly the movies that are very very good (gaming movies) are the ones that have a high bitrate and therefore big filesize. When I watch something, two things that really annoy me is low quality of picture and sound, which is why I go to great lengths to get those as good as I possibly can. And you can't really compare feature movies and series to gaming movies as you can easily get a 2 hour+ movie looking good on either 1 or 2 CDs, whereas a gaming movie with a resolution of 640x480 would look bad. Not only because of the higher resolution, but also the fact that there is usually much more movement in gaming movies than feature movies or series.

And you also can't say that anything over 2000Kibps is senseless as it has also to to with what resolution is being used. And of course again, how much movement there is in the movie. In Q3 movies you need a higher bitrate to get good visual quality than if for instance GTA3/VC. A good example of this is that my GTA movie, GTAG takes 10.8GiB with the lossless encoder HUFFYUV, and it lasts for 17.46. I now have 12min 59sec worth of Q3 footage at the same resolution and framerate which take up the 10.5GiB. So the Q3 footage which is about the same size has almost 5 minutes less duration.

But enough about that. You don't really need to post anything more about this subject, cause I won't change my opinion on it in any way. I see your point, and understand it, but I just feel differently about it cause I really like good looking movies. I also know I'm picky, which is why I don't complain when others have a lower visual quality than what I prefer, unless it's extremely bad/choppy etc..

Yes. I would love making a movie from other peoples replays/demos. Which is what I'm doing now and until the summer (gonna enter the contest over @ own-age.com with a movie I'm making after the one I'm doing now).

And on Premiere Pro. I don't think it will work on W2k at all :/ I think XP is a requirement :/ But you should try Vegas Video which is supposedly fantastic. I'm gonna test it, and most likely use it for the own-age.com contest movie I'm making later.