DIVx sucks...

Do you agree that Windows Streaming format is better?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree that Windows Streaming format is better?

• Yes
    • No
    • What's Divx?
    • I hate both, and I will state whats better in my reply.
    • My pants are on fire! yarg!

I hate Divx. First of all, it doesn't allow streaming. So you have to download the entire file before you can play it. So I never know how much is done till it's done...

Second, during playback sometimes I get a green screen, where it's just pure green in the vid, and my computer slows down almost to a halt. I have to do ALT+F4 to get out of it.

3rd, the compression sucks compared to Windows streaming. I got twice the compression with windows streaming codec, with no noticeable quality loss, and it actually streams!

Just wanted to let you know. You can use this codec with ulead video studio, with a free trial. I just re-install it every month and it works fine, and you can actually do custom effects and merge videos with ease.

Just wanted to let you know, I hate it that everyone uses divx when streaming is so much better.

Edited by Guest

I don't hate divx so I can't really vote for that either :/. Meh, that poll's problematic and stupid :P.

For one thing that part about streaming went completely over my head. I've d/l-ed hundreds of divx videos and have been able to preview pretty much all of them while they were coming (ever heard of AVIPreview?). If you can't do that, it's most likely a problem with your setup than anything else and hardly a reason to bitch to us about. Story's the same with that "screen going green and performance dropping" part; never experienced such a thing myself or heard of anyone else seeing it either assuming this isn't about a messed up vid you were trying to d/l. I think you should check your players' up-to-date state, OS strain condition (background running apps?) and possible hardware antiquity before anything else though. What kinda PC you got anyway? Oh and make sure your divx pack was installed rightly too.

If you're having problems with Ulead divx-encoding your work and previewing it, that doesn't mean it's so for everyone else. Anyway, as an alternative you could just save your edited work uncompressed and encode it with some post-(vid)-processing software like the very popular VirtualDub to overcome any problems.

For the record though, the DivX codec series has been around for 6-7 years now and its been considered top quality vid compresion all throughout its evolving course. So you may hate away freely, but it won't change the mind of anyone that has really worked with it and seen the results. If you have something truely better to suggest, go ahead and share with us, but seriously now windows streaming?

As far as XviD and WMV are concerned, they're both up there with divx quality and compression-wise. Lately it would seem that XviD is slightly better than any other codec in movies compression and quality delivery (slightly more crisp and clear picture than divx), but all 3 perform really good overall and exchange leading suitability roles only according to the nature of the source video as hinted before.

It's really up to you to find out which one works best for your taste in the end.

I installed DivX on 2 different computers with 2 different OSes, one is very high quality gaming machine, another is a crappy old emachine from 5 years ago. Both have the same problems. it's prolly divx corp making buggy software or anything, cause this happens in the latest build of Windows Media Player 9.0

If you have probs decoding a certain avi, it's probably a bad file. If you're getting fu,cked up results from encoding a movie with divx, it's probly something with your codec. Make sure you're not working with an unpopular or hacked version or that it didn't come from a bad codec pack. All of those things are common and none DivX's fault.

I installed DivX on 2 different computers with 2 different OSes, one is very high quality gaming machine, another is a crappy old emachine from 5 years ago. Both have the same problems. it's prolly divx corp making buggy software or anything, cause this happens in the latest build of Windows Media Player 9.0

You should try removing DivX and installing and MPEG-4 decoder like FFDshow and install XviD and use that for encoding. XviD's default settings look better than DivX's anyways, so why bother installing it in the first place?

Like I said, you could be playing off a faulty installation (Nemo would easily fall under that category). In that case you should redownload the bundle. Other than that, it could be a number of other things, like having some filter running over it whose settings could be maladjusted, or which could be defective. Also make sure your divx's settings are good for your machine too (film effects and postprocessing, YUV and overlay extended modes could all possibly be the source of your torment).

Then again, having said all that about divx, maybe it just doensn't like you anymore :P.