Open MTA:DayZ - Open Source MTA:DayZ

Jusonex

aoek57qk.png

Maybe some of you are disappointed by the fact that the current MTA:DayZ gamemode offers barely any possibilities of modifications or extensions to create an unique server feeling due to the proprietary nature of the script. The result is obvious - hundreds of servers with the very same script and feeling without anything to make a specific server more enjoyable than the others.

We believe that a DayZ gamemode in MTA has a lot more potential to offer players a more unique feeling and more enjoyable servers.

Goal:

The project’s main goal is an open sourced MTA:DayZ gamemode which provides a very detailed interface so that you are able to customize the gamemode in any direction you can think of. Additionally, the gamemode’s features are planned to be close to the original ArmA II Mod ‘DayZ’, though we have to differ in some parts.

Development process:

For now we plan to develop the gamemode in a private and small group (to avoid thousands of weird questions related to the unfinished state). As soon as the gamemode takes shape, the project will become open-source. But that does not mean that you cannot do anything to support the development process. Everyone with special knowledge is welcome to join us. If you have got a great idea and would like to share it, we will be happy if we meet you in our forum (URL: see below).

Concept:

The general concept is - of course - to create a DayZ gamemode as close as possible to the ArmA II Mod. But the way how we implement features, and also additional features aren’t set in stone and we want the community to participate in the process of giving the developers more input on what the community would enjoy. Everyone is encouraged to present his ideas to the public by posting in our forum for an open discussion of the feature and a possible implementation.

Current Progress:

We already began developing the gamemode and have made big progress. Most backend systems, such as SQLite and MySQL integration and a custom Zombie AI are finished. The biggest we have to do now is adding actual gameplay content and the design of the gamemode. More help is always welcome, be it by scripting, creating graphics or just telling us your very own ideas on how you’d want a DayZ gamemode in MTA to be.

Conclusion:

If you have any questions related to the project, we’ll be happy to answer them in our IRC channel or, of course, our forum. We’re especially looking for someone who is able to produce a nice GUI design. For more details, please join our IRC channel.

IRC: irc.gtanet.com #open_dayz - Connect now

Forum URL: http://www.opendayz.tk/forum/ (disabled at the moment)

GitHub: https://github.com/OpenMTADayZ/open_dayz

Best regards

Your Open MTA:DayZ team

Edited by Guest

What about changing sounds and all of the country rifle so it will be some sort of hunt bow or crossbow?

Also Deagle into revolver.

And maybe something can be a fire axe.

If you want to make this serious, replace the dildos, flowers and stuff like that with more home weapons, like a cracked bottle, a plank. You know those things you just use once.

Edit: Oh, forgot about this: Replace some buildings with a destroyed versiion (so it can be enter-able)

• MTA Team

(To clear things up: I'm also one of the scripters behind this project)

Modifying weapons would of cause be an interesting option. But, as we do not want to "steal" from others, we would either need the sounds/mods creators permission or create our own. So we'd need someone who is able to create models/sounds, as - for example - I can't do that in a proper quality.

This is mainly the point where we need the community's support. We might be good at scripting, but we're not good in terms of designing things. :/

• 5 weeks later...

We've decided to release the source code a bit earlier than we planned originally. There are still a lot of things, especially gameplay elements to be done, but the backends (database, transfering data etc.) are mostly complete. However the gamemode is currently not yet in a playable state.

Our next focus will be the creation of the GUI forms once we have our finished design. ;)

You can find the source code and some additional information here:

http://code.google.com/p/open-dayz/

PLEASE use GitHub. Google Code sucks.

I second this. This seems interesting, I'm actually interested in getting to know more about the developers behind this...

Good luck on your project, remember open source means that everyone can help - whether it's a nooby idiot [damn!] or a skilled programmer. I recommend you to keep the entire development process on GitHub!

We had problems with GitHub some time ago (especially merging leads often to needless conflicts), why we decided to use SVN and GoogleCode instead of Git/GitHub.

Good luck on your project, remember open source means that everyone can help - whether it's a nooby idiot [damn!] or a skilled programmer.

GoogleCode doesn't mean that you can't contribute. If you would like to contribute you just have to submit a source patch at our Mantis Bugtracker which can be found here: http://www.open-dayz.tk/mantis/my_view_page.php

I'm actually interested in getting to know more about the developers behind this...

It's pretty simple. Feel free to join our IRC channel: Connect

We had problems with GitHub some time ago (especially merging leads often to needless conflicts), why we decided to use SVN and GoogleCode instead of Git/GitHub.

Nobody stops you from backporting changes. It's not that hard. Patches work the same way ;)

GoogleCode doesn't mean that you can't contribute. If you would like to contribute you just have to submit a source patch at our Mantis Bugtracker which can be found here: http://www.open-dayz.tk/mantis/my_view_page.php

Don't follow MTA:SA way of solving things. GitHub is an all-in-one solution for development, bugtracking and cooperation. Also it's a lot easier to handle issues on GitHub than on a GoogleCode+Mantis combo.

Also please note that GCode does not have a "search sourcecode" option, which is a pretty big nope for me.

• 2 weeks later...

The development progress is a bit slow at the moment since our previous graphic designer terminated his work (due to missing time).

To make the next, huge step, we need a new designer who is able to produce a basic GUI design for now. This mainly includes elements such as windows, edits, lists, buttons and so on.

If you are really interested and trustworthy, you can contact us via IRC: http://chat.mibbit.com/?channel=%23open ... gtanet.com (or, as an alternative, via PM).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...