would making new radio stations effect MTA?

Chewd

Yeah, I thought about this for some time now...

Is it possible to listen to STREAMING RADIO STATIONS from the net inside of GTA3/VC?

I mean, GTA3, for instance, uses .mp3 files to play radio. It there a way to create a file which connects to a specified address on the Internet and then plays music (like a link or a bookmark in Windows Media Player), but which the game can use as an .mp3 file?

Yeah, I thought about this for some time now...

Is it possible to listen to STREAMING RADIO STATIONS from the net inside of GTA3/VC?

I mean, GTA3, for instance, uses .mp3 files to play radio. It there a way to create a file which connects to a specified address on the Internet and then plays music (like a link or a bookmark in Windows Media Player), but which the game can use as an .mp3 file?

I doubt its possible by any EASY means, but technically speaking, basically anythings possible. So the real question is: Is there an EASY way to do that?

Anyhow, I CAN answer that MTA does not affect the MP3 radio files at all, and vice versa. So no it would not. The worse thing that idea could do if it worked is take up your bandwidth probably.

Edited by Guest

if you search you will see this is mapped out in the forum.

I never changed my radiostations but I will go out on a limb and say that since it has no effect on gameplay it doesn't have to be synced and is no problem to change

You can replace the current radio stations with GTA3 stations or other playlists

I just use wmp outside of vice city because it works outside of cars too. ingame i turned all radio volumes all the way down

Exectly, a LIVE sound is what I was wondering about.

"Why fly, when one can walk?" Yes, true, but there is always something people want to try out, even if it's "possible" some other way. Be able to play streaming stations inside of the game then getting inside of the car, and being able to change between real radio stations (if more then one added) with your gamepad would be great.

Or just imagine, you get in a car and there is a music, then suddenly the REAL news start. Or even real commercials, 'couse I'm so damn tired of this mother ****** Pogo the Monkey!

yes this has been discussed a long time ago (I beelave with t2k2 and the gang what wanted to bring gta2 into gta3 engine) and they id a lot of work with radiostations and i dont think they managed ot get it working.. THINK that was a long time ago, i know people have tryed to just use winamp and open up a radiostation save it as a mp3 and put it in the mp3 folder but that didnt work... either you can try it if you want because im a bit iffy (long time ago) But it hasnt been talked about for such a long time, maybe things have changed (like people know how to use the engine more)

I do know that changing radio stations will not effect mta though, those dont matter their clientside so it shouldnt bother.

a long time ago i used a half working mod for gta3 that played winamp radio stations, what is it called...shoutcast? and would flip between preset stations...but if i remember correctly, it created it's own audio channel, so you had to mute vice music, and only listen to the 4 radio stations you'd preset. So in reality, it was like winamp with a hotkey to swap predefined stations.

Personally, I keep my best rock, punk, other energetic music in a playlist, and turn winamp to 25% volume and that keeps me sane lol

yes this has been discussed a long time ago (I beelave with t2k2 and the gang what wanted to bring gta2 into gta3 engine) and they id a lot of work with radiostations and i dont think they managed ot get it working.. THINK that was a long time ago, i know people have tryed to just use winamp and open up a radiostation save it as a mp3 and put it in the mp3 folder but that didnt work... either you can try it if you want because im a bit iffy (long time ago) But it hasnt been talked about for such a long time, maybe things have changed (like people know how to use the engine more)

I do know that changing radio stations will not effect mta though, those dont matter their clientside so it shouldnt bother.

i'm not sure if this is what MrBump said but i had an idea before but never tried it i know winamp can save live streams pretty sure it can do it to mp3, start saving a stream to mp3 and have that as the only mp3 in the mp3 folder then play vc, mite work or does winamp lock the file its writing so only it can open it if it can open it i can't see why it wouldn't work! unless it records the lengths of the mp2's at startup so it keeps count of hte time of all of them to make it seem like a radio...not sure if any of that makes sence...hrmm New idea just popped into my head

does anyone have winamp plugin experiance? probably be easier to make a mod that when the radio is on plays winamp, and when you get out of a car stops it and each radio station could link to a different file/stream in winamp like have the radio all the way down, it could belike a remote for winamp? i know there used to be a ocx for vb for these things but it would be cool if it could be put intot mta somehow,.. *wonders if any of that made sence*

Hm, I'll try this Winamp linking tomorrow. However, do you mean that Winamp actually creates an .mp3 file which is only like 1 second long and only consists of a link? So then Winamp reads the file, it connects to a net location which is given in the file, rather then playing the track from the harddisk? In that case, I doubt that GTA is smart anough to find that Internet link in the file... Or? :roll:

The problem is that the gta radio stations are NOT MP3, the only time it plays mp3 is if you place them (or shortcuts to them) in the MP3 folder, so even if you worked a way to get a live stream posing as an MP3 it could not just replace the .adf radio station files.

A much more feasable way is to turn off the built in radio altogether and make an external application that would 'pose' as the station and would play the stream, this would need to know when a player got into and out of a car, when the player switched stations etc so would obviously have to get this info from gta or mta itself.

and no, we have no plans to do so :)

The problem is that the gta radio stations are NOT MP3, the only time it plays mp3 is if you place them (or shortcuts to them) in the MP3 folder, so even if you worked a way to get a live stream posing as an MP3 it could not just replace the .adf radio station files.

A much more feasable way is to turn off the built in radio altogether and make an external application that would 'pose' as the station and would play the stream, this would need to know when a player got into and out of a car, when the player switched stations etc so would obviously have to get this info from gta or mta itself.

Ok I have found a solution...

Get into the game and play like normal. Turn all of the music sound down in the game so you don't hear VC radio or MP3s. Now when you get in a car turn on a radio. When you scroll with your mouse turn the dial on your radio and it will switch stations. It works!!!! Now this is the tricky part. When you get out of the car. Turn off the radio.

I took me a while but I knew I would find a solution.

Ok I have found a solution...

works great! thanks! :D

Get into the game and play like normal. Turn all of the music sound down in the game so you don't hear VC radio or MP3s. Now when you get in a car turn on a radio. When you scroll with your mouse turn the dial on your radio and it will switch stations. It works!!!! Now this is the tricky part. When you get out of the car. Turn off the radio.

I took me a while but I knew I would find a solution.

http://www.divxland.org/gta/shoutcastradio/

'nuff said.

careful about your bandwith though, if your game is already laggy, or your on 56k, i highly recommend NOT using this with MTA!!! its pretty l33t though, listening to live radio whilst in the game, it adds another dimension to the gameplay when one aspect is actually very real (the radio). its not like if a song comes on that you like, you can get back in your car later and hear it agin; when its gone, its gone.

Original GtaForums topic:

http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=118416&hl=shoutcast