Another "Connection timed out" Thread

Guest Prozac

Hello people

I've been reading/searching on these forums about for half an hour

I found a lot of posts about the Connection timed out after 10 seconds problem.

and after reading 20 threads, I still didn't find a single solution to that problem.

First of all:

The Specs

Proc: AMD 64 3200+

Videocard: ATI Radeon 9800 Pro

MEM: 1024MB

I have no fire wall running, and no anti virus, no other programs using bandwidth, except mIRC

my provider is @home ( dutch Provider )

[edit]

Downstream: 500kb/s

Upstream: 16Kb/s

[/edit]

I've connected to different servers, and always got the same problem

I did found out, that the more I type the longer I say connected

but spamming is bad :)

I hope someone can help me,

and reading from the other threads.

please don't flame me :oops:

post unless you have an answer, that I can use.

I would appreciate that a lot

Tnx for the your time

Prozac

Edited by Guest

ffs, stay on topic

The problem lies with UDP packets dropping between you<->server and server<->you, there's not really much you can do about it at the moment. The main problem is these packets (which are kind of important to stay connected) are sent with UDP without any TCP-look-a-like sin-ack, or what's it called exactly, system.. which we haven't implemented.

You can either wait for a next version to be released, the problem will (probably) be solved there.

For now.. try to connect with servers which aren't very far away from you (try to use servers in the Benelux/Germany/France instead of in the US/Canada/Australia), that might help..

[...]The problem lies with UDP packets dropping between you<->server and server<->you, there's not really much you can do about it at the moment. The main problem is these packets (which are kind of important to stay connected) are sent with UDP without any TCP-look-a-like sin-ack, or what's it called exactly, system.. which we haven't implemented.[...]

You mean protocol?

From what I've understood, the dreaded MTA netcode sacrifices integrity for the sake of speed by choosing UDP, but the weird thing is that up to vers .2.2 such incidents were occurring at a considerably lower rate than now. Not to mention the appearance of CRC timeouts, which are something that I believe wasn't happening before .3.

All of this brings me to the million-euro question: what's been changed in the server's side in .3? Has its cycle been made longer with more anti-cheating checks, options, or tasks? Cause that - along with the higher average UDP packet loss rate - would account for what we've been seeing ever since Jan 1st. If that is the case I dunno what else could be done to alleviate the situation other than assigning more responsibilities to the client's side. And that doesn't really help the cheat preventing effort, now does it? Quite a predicament if you ask me, so I'll wish you guys good luck figuring it out.

Tnx...

I'll try and find a closer server

and wait for a next patch :cry:

[update]

Tried playing on dutch low ping servers....

same problem

so the only thing left is.....

waiting for the next patch

anyway when is it being released ( if I'm allowed to ask :roll: )

[/update]

ffs, stay on topic

The problem lies with UDP packets dropping between you<->server and server<->you, there's not really much you can do about it at the moment. The main problem is these packets (which are kind of important to stay connected) are sent with UDP without any TCP-look-a-like sin-ack, or what's it called exactly, system.. which we haven't implemented.

You can either wait for a next version to be released, the problem will (probably) be solved there.

For now.. try to connect with servers which aren't very far away from you (try to use servers in the Benelux/Germany/France instead of in the US/Canada/Australia), that might help..

oh ! that's the FIRST concrete posting regarding this matter i read now !

So....congratulations...you're basically saying it does NOT work and (hopefully) will be fixed in the next version.

This is *great* news (cynically spoken) and basically the death of all participants in MTA which are on a dialup. (IE: Modem retrains and v42 renegotiations which happen on my side every once in a while depending on the line quality) .

This only in addition to the 'other' (UDP packet loss you say) reasons which are not related to modem/dialup issues....but isnt there a seting to have some more relaxed timing whatsoever so you dont get disconnected all the time ? (I am IL, server i TX......ehrm..this is not THAT far)

Still...MTA shouldnt be that picky....but (as of right now with my connecitons) MTA is unplayable....

Yeah, I think you should ask for your money back (cynically speaking)...

Just play on more decentralized servers or during more off hours and it shouldn't be that bad for you.

And:

[...]So....congratulations...you're basically saying it does NOT work and (hopefully) will be fixed in the next version.[...]

You hear that everybody? You keep saying you play for hours on end. FFS get it through your heads: it DOESN'T FREAKING WORK! :roll: