The 'Trick' To Actually Inflicting Damage??

-UtopiA-

The people who use the auto aim are the ones that complain about god mode cheaters.

thats not true...

I was complaining about it too... before i'd read this thread...

but uhm... all those strategies and tactics sound nice... and i'm sure they'll work... but uhm... why do we even have this problem??

the game is run on a server right?

so why dont they make the server just tell your client EXACTLY where the other dudes are?? like with BF1942... or is that undoable in code??

i dont think so... but then again... im not a GTA3-coder... i code in BF1942 and Max Payne 2...

but i think it could be done... and than lag problems... hmmmm... if they make movement and firing server-side (like i said above)... people with good connections would be able to kill everyone and peeps with slow connections would have a hard time... but that sounds right, dont it?

k... i hope someone from the dev-team will reply to this... cause i'd like to know what they think about my suggestions...

tnx for reading anyway...

You should really read around a little.

This game isnt' meant for multiplay. The game works client side where your computer is the arbitor of what happens to your character based on info it recieves. There are a lot a varibles like sync, ping and even your computer speed that may effect what you computers thinks has happened and what I get credit for doing.

In BF1942 if you have a slow connection you will be less competitive because the server decides that you were killed. In MTA your slow connection means I have to hit you until your computer gets the message, that makes you harder to kill. You can also miss a packet of info when I switch weapons so you will see me throwing punches when I think I am shooting you. This can happen with low pings too.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok...

i already knew that GTA wasnt made for MP...

but what from what i read... so far...

i know that it was coded with MP in mind...

ok about your little story 'bout computers misunderstanding stuff:

what IF...

we make the server-side of MTA control firing and movement and stuff... (in other words: the stuff that controls if i hit a dude or not)...

now... im almost positive this is doable...

but i know... it would require good internet connections...

so what!!??

i mean.. now... people (like me) with good connections... have a harder time than dudes with a worse connection speed...

so its choosing... i guess...

choosing for good gameplay for fast connected peeps...

is the best choice (i think)

btw: i have a good connection (1024/512)... ;)

what d'ya think?

i think this thread should be sticky

the aiming problem is reducing the sadness of the fact that my 0.3r2 isnt working...well, maybe ill play DM when mtavc 7.0 is out :roll:

sure its still beta but i think im gonna stay in stunt mode instead of trying to find methods to bust a 56k'er :|

my bullet trails go to the center of the redicle anyway.. So I'm still at a loss as to how "following the bullet trails" would be different than redicle aiming?

deathb meant that your smoketrail must be parallel to the other player

Well my bullet trails always go in a straight path the dot on my reticle. I follow the bullet trails I suppose, in the respect that I don't actually look at my aiming reticle when I shoot...

The problems with the aiming are different for different people. It's upsetting having to adjust to about 15 different aiming styles in games. Oh well. It's mostly just, based on what was said earlier, a "packet" war. Whoever slips up first, dies.

Oh wait, I'm sorry, I must have skipped the fact that the guy who wins the packet fight is "uber l33t ownage!!!!"... :roll::roll::roll:

The problems with the aiming are different for different people.

It's upsetting having to adjust to about 15 different aiming styles in games.

indeed...

so thats why i wonder if MTA cant be made serverside for movement and firing...

and now dont start about GTA not being MADE for MP...

'cause i wonder if it still IS possible...

A lot will say that the way it is now (aiming system) is the best for the game... Which I agree with in some ways...

It seems though that the best thing would be to make it serverside but from what has been discussed it's highely unlikely due to the way the game is "made".

Either way, I'm satisified. If it all stays clientside, like it is now, I see the good things about it and it's still a fun experience. If it switches serverside then damn, I have to relearn all the tactics again.

Well, like I said, the idea of using a pistol or UZI is out of the question. The only gun I can kill with is the M60 or the M4. MAYBE a shotgun on a rare occasion.

Actually, I have grown to like the .45 pistol alot, since I lost my timing with the second shotgun blast (knock them down, time the second shot right, they die)... so I switch to pistol and just spray in their direction. I find that works really good.

Also, since you can move and shoot with the pistol, and most SMGs, it helps alot too... like when you are a Racer class, you don't have the firepower to do a stand-off fight, so you have to bob'n'weave! :o

i dont want the aim to be serverside. it would SUCK to be getting hit by bullets that to you arent even hitting. :o that
uhm....

that would NOT happen when its serverside...

THAT is whats happening NOW...

your mistaken with what i said. what is happening now is that you may think that you are hitting them on your screen, but on thiers your not. thats clientside

your health going down by bullets that to you are appearing to miss, THAT is what would happen with serverside

i dont want the aim to be serverside. it would SUCK to be getting hit by bullets that to you arent even hitting. :o that
uhm....

that would NOT happen when its serverside...

THAT is whats happening NOW...

I am following what he is saying.

If it's half client and half server then it would be possible for you to see something that doesn't happen or have something happen that you don't see

is that confusing enough

I agree with Db

[edit]

lol I didn't see Db's post until I posted this we musta posted at the same time I think I still agree with Db someone tell me if I don't, I am confused.

Since it's client-side now, the only way to get hurt is for YOUR machine to believe bullets hit you. Now because of things like lag, packet loss, hardware slowdowns, etc, etc the shooter may or may not be shooting at you (i.e. have his crosshairs ON you). You all know this from personal experience whenever you swivel your sights left and right of the target trying to get your shot to count.

If it was server-side, in a macroscopic scale, you'd get to see reality happen every so often depending on your con. If it's fast, you'd only see a few adjustments occur from time to time. If you're like me trying to play UT2k3 with a crappy dialup, you'd get smooth moving and firing for a few secs (2-3), then you'd have your position abruptly "corrected" and you'd also be shown your bullets flying in a path dictated by the server. That means you could be running, turn 40 degrees and fire and after the adjustment you might see the bullet flying 40 degrees right of your x axis.

In a nutshell server-side means the server "tells every1 the truth" so if Simon says you're dead, you're dead. Client-side means no corrections to a globally-known truth; every1 has their own reality and what happens to you is decided by you. Db is wrong in his initial statement:

dont want the aim to be serverside. it would SUCK to be getting hit by bullets that to you arent even hitting. :o that

Others would shoot you properly, the serv would acknowledge that and you'd see it too (assuming your con isn't dialup :o).

Since it's client-side now, the only way to get hurt is for YOUR machine to believe bullets hit you. Now because of things like lag, packet loss, hardware slowdowns, etc, etc the shooter may or may not be shooting at you (i.e. have his crosshairs ON you). You all know this from personal experience whenever you swivel your sights left and right of the target trying to get your shot to count.

If it was server-side, in a macroscopic scale, you'd get to see reality happen every so often depending on your con. If it's fast, you'd only see a few adjustments occur from time to time. If you're like me trying to play UT2k3 with a crappy dialup, you'd get smooth moving and firing for a few secs (2-3), then you'd have your position abruptly "corrected" and you'd also be shown your bullets flying in a path dictated by the server. That means you could be running, turn 40 degrees and fire and after the adjustment you might see the bullet flying 40 degrees right of your x axis.

In a nutshell server-side means the server "tells every1 the truth" so if Simon says you're dead, you're dead. Client-side means no corrections to a globally-known truth; every1 has their own reality and what happens to you is decided by you. Db is wrong in his initial statement:

dont want the aim to be serverside. it would SUCK to be getting hit by bullets that to you arent even hitting. :o that

Others would shoot you properly, the serv would acknowledge that and you'd see it too (assuming your con isn't dialup :o).

ok smartypants you just explained the difference between server side and client side

They were suggesting a hybrid server/client side that's where my confusion stems from so explain how that would work.

*shoots Prokopis in the face with a stubby and shoves the spoon up his ass for not answering the question*

there is a spoon, can ya feel it?

so thats why i wonder if MTA cant be made serverside for movement and firing...

and now dont start about GTA not being MADE for MP...

'cause i wonder if it still IS possible...

see he is saying that movement and firing is server side I assume he means somethings will be synced clients. Did I misread this?

* Laughs as he sees KFG shoot thin air. Ain't lag something :P?

Nah in either case (#1=shooting and moving ONLY server side, #2 comment on Db's statement alone without looking @ prev posts) it's still the same suggetion, i.e. changes towards server-side shooting if not AND moving. That will result in what I described I think :).

* Laughs as he sees KFG shoot thin air. Ain't lag something :P?

Nah in either case (#1=shooting and moving ONLY server side, #2 comment on Db's statement alone without looking @ prev posts) it's still the same suggetion, i.e. changes towards server-side shooting if not AND moving. That will result in what I described I think :).

Ok then I will assume that the suggestion that you can do some of the syncing server side and leaving other things to the client isn't possible. Server side would be great but from what I remember it is only possible if you break the Rockstar Games eula so it's not an option.

btw,

he didn't mention the spoon I guess he felt it and he didn't complain. Draw your own conclusions. :lol:

Server side would be great but from what I remember it is only possible if you break the Rockstar Games eula so it's not an option.

MAN!!

if this was mentioned by one of the devs a bit earlier...

but then again...

if its doable...

serverside would be a LOT BETTER than serverside...

Why?

Because people like me, with good cons, would be able to play MTA... the way it was meant to be... and not like... using 8 tactics before your opponent gets hit... ah well...

• 2 months later...

just reading through this post and yes it is very helpful, well some of it.

As far as GTA being mentioned as not meant for multiplay, well that's wrong. it was meant for multiplay, since DOS release of GTA 1, that even had mp, only problem was net code was horrible. It was horrible in both GTA London's and GTA 2.

One HPB could ruin the entire game, made everyone lag like bloddy hell.

I do remember something from the early days of MTA being mentioned about the code for mp in GTA 3 was there already, just not implemented.

Thus the MTA team was born . .

I may be wrong on this but my old memory still serves once in awhile

I do remember something from the early days of MTA being mentioned about the code for mp in GTA 3 was there already, just not implemented.

Yeah, somewhere on these forums there's a topic about the hidden multiplayer menu that Rockstar put in - presumably time and/or budgetary constraints prevented them from finishing the multiplayer aspect.

• 4 weeks later...

ok im really not into coding and dont know much about networks but what if we made a server for dialup and on for faster connections. wouldnt that improve at least some problems?

insnt there a gta3 multiplayer mod available already?

ok im really not into coding and dont know much about networks but what if we made a server for dialup and on for faster connections. wouldnt that improve at least some problems?

Do you mean create a separate server program optimised for dialup? To reduce lag is one of the team's aims with each successive version, so I gather, so this would be somewhat pointless.

Or do you mean that server admins should offer two servers - one for dialup and one for broadband? If so, this would cost a lot of money and many admins wouldn't see the need. Plus the quality and availability of broadband is increasing all the time.

insnt there a gta3 multiplayer mod available already?

Yep, there's GTA3:MTA 0.3b.

i thought about offering 2 servers one for dialup and one for broadband but of course this is just a thought as i have no idea about servercosts (and what they depend on) or what that would mean for a 56ker-server. i just thought, there are so many servers available in ASE, wouldnt there be a chance that some admin might want to check out how his server would run without those 56kers? or would that simply be too much traffic?

i tried some shooting technics, and they seem to help but i think i lack the practice: iv seen people shooting way to the right of me (from where they stand) and hitting me right in the face (it seems :) ). how do they know where EXACTLY they gotta aim? it just seems like they know it for sure where to fire at and so they only shoot twice and BANG im gone while im still trying to find (as someone here said) their sweet spot. ive tried shooting pararel to their bullets but i die to fast usually. i know you gota keep moving and jumping and stuff, but how could i concentrate on that if im still trying to find out where this guy actually is and how far i should shoot to hisright.itskinda frustrating some times but none the less i'll keep on trying and yelling at those damn 56kers... just kidding :wink:

edit: man ive been to this site some time and havent even seen that mta is available for gta3 too :shock: had eyes for vice city only i supposed