Lag issues

Hi,

I've come here because I've run out of ideas of how to fix this.

In my server there are about 130 - 170 people that play the server daily and at certain times the server will lag like there is no tomorrow, chat messages will be shown very late for some odd reason and actions that the server has to process will be very slow.

The way I have set up our server may be a bit exotic for most gameservers but it works better for me personally.

We use a proxmox VE system and have every service ( mysql, gameserver, webserver ) split into their own OpenVZ container.

Which allows me to track all traffic for each container making it easy to manage.

As of now the server runs fairly stable with a few CPU spikes from time to time when there is a spike in people joining simultaneously.

15pGdtT.png

As you can see the cpu usage goes up and down a bit here and there when more players come in the server

The lag however does not seem to be because of the CPU, assigning more cores to the gameserver container does not seem to have any impact whatsoever.

I'm fairly sure the network connection my server has is not the issue either, we have a 1GBit dedicated line with a 200MBit guarantee which means even when the datacenter is under full load we are guaranteed to have at least 200MBit on the line.

Here is a graph of our network usage from the past two weeks: (note the spikes that happen every now and then when some scriptkiddie tries to DDoS us.)

D1aF76B.png

The network usage has been fairly stable over the past two weeks with no apparent spikes other then one occasion where somebody tried to DDoS us for a few hours.

As for the rest, the gameserver container has about 2 - 3 GB of ram assigned to it, which should be more than enough.

And the SQL container has 9GB assigned to it to ensure all read and write actions are performed through the memory for more performance.

I've run out of ideas of what to tweak to stop this lag.

Could it be the scripts that my server runs?

Could it be the internal MySQL module supplied with MTA?

Could it just be trouble within the datacenter in which my server resides?

I haven't gotten a clue, I hope some of the Guru's on the forums could give me some insight as to what might be causing this issue.

Thank you

- AeroXbird.