Idea for a better CRC check.

First off, make it check your files every 40 seconds. That way they can do the little way of hacking without a hacked client (wont reveal how as we dont need more cheaters). Also, encrypt the code heavily. I know people have cracked the 0.3 client, and it's true. But luckily, none are released and cheats are low now. Hopefully, the timed check will be taken into consideration.

just make a compiled client code

even i dont know anything of editing but even i know how to get the crc out

its not fun anymore

a good hexeditor and a working client and you got what you want

the only thing about hacking mta is for adding boats in it i think

and get more armor and ammo for guns in

• 1 month later...

First of all..

The best CRC check ever is ACTIVE admins.

If you run a server or more, Get help from admins.

I pick my Admins direct from the server, depending attitudes, time online and patience.

This is the most secure anti-cheat u can get, The human brain.(That means its not your dogs brains! :P )

The most secure anti-cheat solution would be having the server re-calculate and check the physics applied in every move sent by the client. If the physics exceeded the allowed values (like, if people were flying firetrucks, or a car going insanely fast), the server would detect it.

This would add to the code complexity of the server program though, and it would probably require a bit more CPU power too.

How about another way of anti-hacking - sort of trojan thing.

Server owners will download often updated trainer-lists (or since most of the servers are always on, server apps will check and download new trainer lists automatically), and players' machines will send lists of application currently running on their computers once in, for instance, 5 minutes. Once server finds an app that matches with its trainer lists, it bans player/gives player a warning.

I dont think it's going to take that much of the server CPU time or traffic.

You could also make the server send fresh trainer list to the client's machine, and there MTA client will check for trainers loaded in client's memory.

Like I said - often updated trainer-lists. :) It's just a matter of adding new filenames (all new trainers appear publically, so people WILL now about them). And once in a while servers will download new trainer lists automatically (let's say, once in 12 hours or in a day) thus preventing users from using cheats and trainers.

all new trainers appear publically, so people WILL now about them

Not necessarily. Most people will develop them for their own use. And trainers will only be added to the list if enough people use them for the admins / devs to notice.

It would probably be easier to licence Punkbuster, as it performs pretty much the same purpose as you suggested. However, I'm not sure what the costs of licencing it are, and MTA is free, but maybe an agreement could be made.

Like I said - often updated trainer-lists. :) It's just a matter of adding new filenames

yeah, lets get a 10gb file, because you can have VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY much different names you can rename a thing to

not VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY, thats endless

:?

Why names? Let's use file's checksum!

And it won't be 10 gb in any case, a few megs at most (10 gbs! 10,000,000,000 bytes (rounded)).

You could also make week updates, so there will be different files and server will upload only those it doesn't have.

But still - it's not really worth it. Let those loosers use what they want but just ban them from public servers. The choice now is either to write a complicated trainer-check engine or just make sure there's an admin.

What I'd do is when admin wants to leave he asks someone from the server he knows to be admin. That's it. It just should be someone he trusts. Admin can always change the password later.

The team have said that they are looking into the cheating aspect of the game in the new 0.4. I think we should wait to see what they have to offer. It is impossible to eradicate cheating completely, but 0.4 should reduce it, leading to a better experience for all concerned.

Another problem is the amount of servers (especially for GTA3:MTA) which makes it difficult to switch to different servers because of cheating due to the limited number of them.

I'm hoping that very soon MTA will hit the mainstream (hopefully with 0.4), meaning a plethora of servers and a larger community.

any chance the MTA team would consider doing dual releases of next versions? one that has the crc check and all the fun stuff to keep things "legit" and another for those that want to experiment heavily with modding in all categories?

I very much doubt it. I don't think the team would ever want to compromise anti-cheat protection considering the cheat problems in the past.

However, on the other hand, it is common knowledge that the development team intend to make MTA moddable sometime in the future.

Yeah, I'm sure. If the next MTA somehow (I guess it's not really possible) will be able to reduce the amount of traffic it will lead to:

* More 'capacious' servers, meaning a lot more fun :) (I had sort of a dream where the servers could fit 200+ people, so all the traffic and people we see in single player are real people; although there would be A LOT of shooting :) ).

* Popularity of MTA as a network game - when I lived back in Odessa (Ukraine, on the coast of Black Sea), and in all Russia in general, there were a lot of "internet clubs" where you could come with your friends and play CS, HL, Unreal, Starcraft and other popular games. And as MTA will get more popular, I'm sure MTA will get to those 'internet clubs' and become another network game.

What else - big community :). I already see a bad side of that - more cheaters, lamers etc. Well, the world isn't possible without them, is it? It will also create a bigger flood rate on the forum, increase the number of stupid posts etc. But there should be good people too, let's hope.

More 'capacious' servers, meaning a lot more fun

Yep, I seriously reckon MTA should have 96 players like GTAT. Because of the huge size of the maps, 32 players just isn't enough.

I had sort of a dream where the servers could fit 200+ people, so all the traffic and people we see in single player are real people; although there would be A LOT of shooting

Can't really see that becoming a reality, but it's a nice idea. :)

Popularity of MTA as a network game

All you need is a couple of reviews and support from hosting providers (http://www.game2xs.com is the only one that I know of that supports MTA at the moment, but many providers are willing to support new games at your request.)

already see a bad side of that - more cheaters, lamers etc. Well, the world isn't possible without them, is it? It will also create a bigger flood rate on the forum, increase the number of stupid posts etc. But there should be good people too, let's hope.

More cheaters, yes, but more people to fight against them. Strength in numbers. The more people that we have, the more effective vote kicks will be :D.

It will increase site traffic and pointless posts, yes, but hopefully the community will come up with some kick-ass ideas that never occurred to the rest of us.

we understand your desires for a more fleshed out and protected mod. And we are working on it... Alot of these changes are directed to the new core, which we can not discuss much about.

About the popularity of the mod, we've been holding our breath for a while, and have not tried to get the attention of some of the more popular gaming sites e.g. file planet, gamespy etc... because we do not feel the mod is even close to its matured state.

When the new core begins to become fully functional, and we have a chance to work on all the features we plan on implementing, then we will work on strenghening our community. However, we do not want the mod to collapse on its community, by dealing w/ more potential cheaters etc..

So, give it time and we can guarantee that MTA will be one of the best gaming experiences we can possibly make it.

Thanks,

Kent

i hope you don't let gamespy get their grubby paws anywhere near mta.

if gamespy had its way: popup ads every time the mta client was started, you would have to register to use mta, and full registry would be 20 dollers a month to play with all the mta features. not to mention the only place to download it would be fileplanet (and i would soooner drill out my fingertips than go to fileplanet for anything)

oh, the horrer that they could bring.