Copyright infringement

bmat

Hello. You may know me as creator of cod2mod gamemode. I'd like to describe you my problem and I hope you can help me find out solution.

Short history

First release of cod2mod was open source. I made this and uploaded to community resources page. It was in July 2010. After that started my server, where I made many updates. Each next releases weren't public, I closed sources of that resource. I was working on that gamemode only for my server. And only first version of cod2mod was still on community page.

After some time I was working with one guy on another resource. I had a SVN repository where I also had a sources of cod2mod. This guy stolen them and uploaded to community page. Those scripts were deleted from community within a few hours after my report to MTA Team. There were about 10-20 downloads. Yes, my bad, I shouldn't allow him to access my files, but...

Problem

For now there's also another cod2mod server. The owner of this server is unknown. He uses my scripts without my permission. He just changed the forums and a few tiny details in the source code. He also downloaded all of maps available in the web. He changed the author of cod2mod-ship map from Mike (my brother) to somebody another! There's no admins on server, nobody takes care what's happening there. It's not for having fun from owning server, it's for spoiling the brand and fame of cod2mod. I have received the information that owner of this shit is Neovo from GCC community. He doesn't reply to my messages, he doesn't join the server, check out reports, he does nothing for that server. It looks like behaviour of 12 years old kid, who's trolling somebody and then stays hidden.

What can I do? Could MTA Team help me with that problem? Can you ban this server or remove it from server list? And don't tell me that shit about freedom of server owners. Many server owners are kids, who know how to download or steal some resource and put it on server. Scripters are working hard on code, but their work is destroyed by people like him. What's more important for you: freedom of server owners or code authors' rights?

bmat, the MTA team cannot do anything about this - they may be able to blacklist the server itself. Contact the server administrator yourself, if they refuse or ignore you - threaten to go legal. No response? Get a lawyer and sue the sh out of them.

Or release the latest version (which they have) open-source so that they don't be the only ones with all the special code, then the next versions after that can be closed-source again.

bmat, the MTA team cannot do anything about this - they may be able to blacklist the server itself.

Ok, how do I report them and what can I do to add server to blacklist?

Contact the server administrator yourself, if they refuse or ignore you - threaten to go legal. No response? Get a lawyer and sue the sh out of them.

He ignores me, no answer by any way. Lawyer is not a good idea, because:

- probably he's under 18

- he's from another country and I don't even know what's his name

- it costs money but result would not be that like I'd like to see

Or release the latest version (which they have) open-source so that they don't be the only ones with all the special code, then the next versions after that can be closed-source again.

I would, because I'm working on a new version, but it would be too hard to me to publish my code that I was working on.