Is vice city too big for mta?

Should vice city be chopped in half? (READ THE TOPIC before voting!)  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Should vice city be chopped in half? (READ THE TOPIC before voting!)

• Yes, its too big! chop it!
    • No, i think its just the right size, leave it alone.

Yes but MTA has been designed to "fit in" with GTAVC, not to mod the files. I'm guessing that would mean the only way to actually create a barrier would be by piling lots of objects on top of each other or something else bizarre like that...

As for campaigning for less features, taking out a big portion of the map is surely taking out some features. For instance the stunt course on the beach. Perhaps features wasn't the word... terrain attractions maybe?

Yes, I will admit I do get somewhat hasty in foolish topics. You would too after 700 posts.

If you are going to get upset when someone disagrees with you i strongly suggest you do not post polls on forums that are open to the public.

footnote: nobody is stopping you from remaining on island one while other people have a blast tearing around the entire map.

DeathB, Do you know why no one goes to the first island? because it has.....what.......2 spawn points? the cops and robbers. and the robbers spawn close to the bridge to downtown, so thats just a hop away. since everyone else spawns on the 2nd island, and everyone wants action right now, they flock to each other, even if i spawn as a cop in washington beach, i have to drive to the 2nd island to shoot somebody, just because everyone else spawns there, and they're fighting each other on that island.

Actually, you're forgetting the two VCC spawn points over there also.. That makes a total of 4

One thing i liked more about mta .1 (yes, .1) was that i started in northbeach, or close to it, and you know what ppl did then? they stayed on the first island, when i played hardly anyone when to the 2nd one. the mansion was about as far west as people *typically* went. but maybe thats just my experience...

So you have the exact same "problem" now. Folks are staying on the second island now. So you've still go the same situation as before. The thing about MTA is the fact that it's basically a plug-in to Vice City that allows for Multiplayer. They've not changed the terrain of the map at all, they've just added spawn points for cars, players and weapons. Admitedly, there's alot of fighting that goes on over on the second island. The area around the Ice Cream Factory is a huge battleground. As is the grass outside of the Mexican Spawn (the grass only grows there because it's watered by all the blood). Over by the Sailor spawn I've seen big fights, as well as at the Robber Spawn.

People will clump wherever they wish to or whereever they find other players to shoot at. It's a natural thing. People used to clump around the Washington Beach PD and the Malibu and have huge wars in that area all the time. The mansion has always been a hot spot as well. The only problem I have with the second island is that there's such open straight roads that folks will just keep right on driving (more on that in another post).

I think Vice City is just fine as it is. To cut off sections of the map would lead to chaos in a closed perimeter. I don't know about you, but I can't stand it when I spend the time getting in game only to be killed in 2 seconds right outside by spawn point. This is what would happen if you chopped up the map into it's designated areas like Little Haiti, Downtown and so on. I don't want to see 24 folks all piled up in Little Haiti spawning on top of one another, getting killed the moment you take 2 steps.

I think Vice City is just fine as it is. To cut off sections of the map would lead to chaos in a closed perimeter. I don't know about you, but I can't stand it when I spend the time getting in game only to be killed in 2 seconds right outside by spawn point. This is what would happen if you chopped up the map into it's designated areas like Little Haiti, Downtown and so on. I don't want to see 24 folks all piled up in Little Haiti spawning on top of one another, getting killed the moment you take 2 steps.

Thats it though, you nailed it right on the head, that "chaos in a closed perimeter" is what im looking for!

i didnt count the vcc spawnpoints, because they're random, the spawns for everyone else are either fixed, or just one of 2, so you know where they'll be. if i choose a mexican or a sailor, i KNOW ill be on the 2nd island.

Ransom, the barrier in that pic is ONE object. not many stacked on each other, and it keeps out any vehicle but the heli, since its about 20ft high, and wider than the bridge. start a new game, drive to a bridge, see for yourself. also, unless your on the mta dev team, and your not, id rather not hear any comments from you on either the gta engine's limitations or what the mta team has intended to do, unless you can back it up with topics, or posts BY the mta team.

mrbump: this isnt me getting upset, im defending my point of view, agressively. go find the first post i made when that censor-thing was first introduced to mta, THAT was me being upset :D. stay on the island by myself? ive actually done that. if i dont want to battle on one island or another, i simply will not.

DeathB, Do you know why no one goes to the first island? because it has.....what.......2 spawn points? the cops and robbers. and the robbers spawn close to the bridge to downtown, so thats just a hop away. since everyone else spawns on the 2nd island, and everyone wants action right now, they flock to each other, even if i spawn as a cop in washington beach, i have to drive to the 2nd island to shoot somebody, just because everyone else spawns there, and they're fighting each other on that island.

One thing i liked more about mta .1 (yes, .1) was that i started in northbeach, or close to it, and you know what ppl did then? they stayed on the first island, when i played hardly anyone when to the 2nd one. the mansion was about as far west as people *typically* went. but maybe thats just my experience...

yeah.. but you forget... there were pretty much 0 vehicles on the second island

i dont know. i remember in 0.1 the apache was over there so i always drove over there trying to figure out where the army base was (i was a complete n00b to the map back then so i was just following a line and would sometimes end up at the downtown ammunation :lol: then id blow my car and either run the rest of the way to the apache, or run to the nearest body of water and jump since with the exception of the whoopee u were screwed if u were carless on that island :lol:

When playing with friends on private servers you can use the whole of the city by playing a sort of "assualt" style, where you split into two teams, decide on a location for one team to defend whilst the other attacks. Once all the defenders are dead (they can't leave the the area they are defending) then the roles change. Once the new defenders are all killed, you all agree on the next location.

However, on public servers you just can't do this and so everyone ends up in Little Havana for the whole game, which gets real old real fast. Thing is, because of helicopters none of the map is inaccessble and if you remove the helicopters you lose one of the most stylish and risky methods of killing other players. :(

What I'd campaign for is for the MTA team to release a basic, decompilable SCMs which supported the deathmatch and stunt modes but maybe didn't have all the animation details which were included in the 0.3 edition. Better yet, supply it fully functional because people still need to download the client and server stuff from the MTA team anyway, so they wouldn't be losing out on anything.

If they did that, multiplayer would simply explode as people started making deathmatch levels and purpose-built multiplayer stunt courses. Wouldn't that just be the greatest? It would be like the glory days of GTA2 online gaming all over again. 8)