Is vice city too big for mta?

Should vice city be chopped in half? (READ THE TOPIC before voting!)  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Should vice city be chopped in half? (READ THE TOPIC before voting!)

• Yes, its too big! chop it!
    • No, i think its just the right size, leave it alone.

Vice city is, imho, too big for a maximum of 24 or 32 players, alot of time is spent needlessly driving around, from one island to the other. Solution? Chop it in half. like at the begining of a new game, the other islands are restricted, bring those barriers back so the admin can choose to play either full map (current), or select one of the 2 major islands. Then if one of the halves are selected, it could load an scm that has weapons, cars and spawn points just on the island that was chosen. now you can have all 80 cars closer together, same with the weapons and player spawns, this means getting around quicker and more intense combat.

helicopters could be a problem, but no solution is perfect. since there's only like 5, i say fuckit, let em fly out of the border if they want. if they want to go to part of the map with no cars weapons or ppl, thats their decision.

the last issue i can think of is starfish island, which i say just leave open for all maps.

Edited by Guest
for smaller servers, good idea..

but VC is hardly small

playing on the 20 + player servers... it's a pretty damn good size

i would actually rather have 20+ ppl on ONE island, as opposed to the whole map, just so the action is more intense. besides, as you may have noticed, alot of the time the limit is 10 12 or 16 ppl, thats less ppl, spread over a greater distance which makes the game more boring, for me.

now if you had 60+ players (yea, right) i wouldnt mind keeping the map full size.

What ... You guys are crazy man . Cutting the city in half would take out the fun of the whole game . I mean come one . I like everypart of the city , you might not but thats not why your going to cut it in half :? ...

And besides . Imagine your driving down the road and then suddently the road ends and you end up swimming wiht the sharks :roll: .Just won't be any cool . And it would cause many crashes just like any mod that deletes or add parts to the city .

What ... You guys are crazy man . Cutting the city in half would take out the fun of the whole game . I mean come one . I like everypart of the city , you might not but thats not why your going to cut it in half :? ...

And besides . Imagine your driving down the road and then suddently the road ends and you end up swimming wiht the sharks :roll: .Just won't be any cool . And it would cause many crashes just like any mod that deletes or add parts to the city .

lol, yes swimming with sharks in THAT scenario would suck, but its not what i said (do roads like that even exist in the normal vice? i didnt think so...), i just mean put the barriers back on the bridges so they're inaccessbile, and then move all the pickups to one island side. i dont mean to ACTUALLY DELETE any pieces of land, just restrict it, and the barriers im talking about are already ingame, they just need ipl coordinates. then repeat for the other island, and have the person setting up the server, choose which one to play on. and have the full map as an option as well, just like now, so you have 3 choices:

-Full Map

-Island 1, Washinton Beach Northbeach, beach, Prawn Island, etc

-Island 2, Downtown, Airport, Little Havana, Haiti, etc

starfish island, always open

if you really think helicopters are in issue, they could be removed, or just put a couple on the map. the point of deathmatching is to shoot other players, not fly around giggling. thats what single player is for. personally, i used heli's for transportation over long distances, if just the one island is available, i don't think they're as necessary.

shortening the city would defeat part of the game. personally i think that they[the developers] just need to take advantage of the first island more, but lets face it. with the exception of stunt mode NOONE goes to the first island anyways. so i dont really think its an issue...

DeathB, Do you know why no one goes to the first island? because it has.....what.......2 spawn points? the cops and robbers. and the robbers spawn close to the bridge to downtown, so thats just a hop away. since everyone else spawns on the 2nd island, and everyone wants action right now, they flock to each other, even if i spawn as a cop in washington beach, i have to drive to the 2nd island to shoot somebody, just because everyone else spawns there, and they're fighting each other on that island.

One thing i liked more about mta .1 (yes, .1) was that i started in northbeach, or close to it, and you know what ppl did then? they stayed on the first island, when i played hardly anyone when to the 2nd one. the mansion was about as far west as people *typically* went. but maybe thats just my experience...

wow, apparently you've made nearly 700 posts, without actually READING any of the existing ones. well, youve been wrong before, and youll be wrong again. the mta team HAS permission from R* to make mta, and the features they want to add to mta, including, but not limited to, some map modding. what im suggessting is no more complex than the stunt server maps, just differt objects in differnt locations, instead of a ramp, its a barrier, instead of being in the middle of a road, it blocks a bridge or 3.

and im not campaining for "less features" (who said anything about taking something out? and playing on ALL the map isnt a "feature" in the first place), im campaining for alternative map scenarios and spawn points. maps are shortened all the time for multiplayer scenarios in games, this isnt uncommon at all.

ash i know perfectly well why noone goes to the first island. read my post again, i said the developers needed to take advantage of it more, not the players. you just got on ransom for "not reading posts" when you arent even reading the ones that your responding to. take a second look if you dont understand something, i dont need to hear again what i already said.

i did read your post, seems i wasnt clear enough...

shortening the city would defeat part of the game. personally i think that they[the developers] just need to take advantage of the first island more, but lets face it. with the exception of stunt mode NOONE goes to the first island anyways. so i dont really think its an issue...

Ok, assuming they DID take advantage of the first island, and they added spawn points there, and riddled it with vehicles and weaponry, so both islands are equal, i still say the map is too big, and should be cut into sections, which is the entire point of this poll.

The point of the game is to kill, while in vice, i dont see how any purpose of it was defeated. the full map option would still be available, just choose a server thats running it :?

with my solution, the admins who chose only one island would have the greater combat per person ratio, since they could still have the same amount of players, and a greater number of vehicles and weapons, but in a more compact zone. Besides that, is the added advantage of no island-loading once your in, and could improve gameplay somewhat.

christ, how do you guys play, i can stay on the upper or lower half of ONE island for over an hour killing ppl! use the space you have. duck behind buldings, run around things, actually try running a bit instead of using a vehicle, look for good ambush spots, USE the map!

ok ash lemme ask you this. which would you prefer, a more stable anti cheat mta with less crashes, or a mta that includes a servers side option that lets u cut off part of the map?

and no its not just as simple as putting up a roadblock, helis can fly right over it.

wee, this is like volleyball....

if i had to choose, id say more stability, but i dont have to choose :D

besides that, im willing to personally implement the island restricted Scm's, ive made my own maps to replace vice, re-zoning, setting up the roadblocks, adding weapons and vehicles to the map, creating geometry, col files, you name it, ive done it, alot, its mad easy.

i covered the heli's before, there's 3 options.

option1: keep the limited amount of them in, there's only 5 or 6, what are they gonna do, fly over to empty chunks of land with no other players, weapons or bikes? whats the point? they can fly in circles until their hearts content as far as im concerned.

option 2: have ONE heli. the lucky person who gets it without dying has the freedom to go wherever he wants. see option 1 if he flys over the roadblocks.

option 3: take the helis out. problem solved.

option 4: make it so the heli's physically cant leave the area - good idea Necro!

anymore issues to address? ive got the whole idea sorted in my head already...

Your experience seems the opposite to mine, back in mtavc0.1 many many people spent time travelling to the second island, despite the fact there where few cars there. One of the joys af gta is the large varied environment and the freedom this provides, do not forget not all people who join a dm server wish to fight, its free for all and that freedom includes the chance to hop in a car and cruise around. One of the things i love about mta is that every single session is different, a major reason for this is the size of the map and the fact people 'clump' in different places all the time.

The map will not be butchered by cropping half of it off, once game modes begin to be added that space will be NEEDED to fit them all in.

and what did we learn in today's lesson? that you ppl, including the mta team, thanks mr bump, need lessons in space management. there are shitloads of things to do on each island without requiring the players to be spread over a 3-square mile area. my original idea was to separate by zones, ie little haiti, washinton beach, northpoint, etc, thank god i didnt add THAT into the poll.

some of you, i dont know if your reading the posts in their entirety, or your eyes just fall on the words you dont like, whatever the reason, i think some large, very important, parts of my posts have been overlooked:

the admin can choose to play either full map (current), or select one of the 2 major islands.

Your all acting like i want to replace the main gamemode, i dont, i think it needs to be kept, but i see no reason why the 2-islands cant be implemented as an additional OPTION. the ppl who want to play in the FULL map could just choose a server thats running that map, which by the sounds of things, would be alot of them. others like me, could choose one thats not, so im not sure i see the problem here. ive even volunteered to do the brunt of the work for you (gathering locations and player / weapon / vehicle / barrier spawns points, im not sure how your multi is implemented into the scm).

the 2nd thing i think is being mistaken, is that i want to actually delete part of the map. fuck no, im not insane, i merely mean putting these back in place and adding any additional ones that might be necessary:

http://gregval.phpwebhosting.com/uploads/sgbarrier.jpg

special thanks to anyone who actually read my posts completely, understood them, and maybe, just maybe, felt like i do.