Newb Question: Do 2 players need a dedicated server to play?

Guest tanjo

Hi. I haven't played w/ MTA yet.

My cousin and I are thinking of reinstalling VC and giving it a go, but I was wondering if players need to play on a dedicated server, or can I create a game and have him play in that game with me with just the two of us? We don't have another machine for a dedicated server.. Also, can we play over a LAN with 3 or 4 people without a dedicated server?

Thanks

tanjo

there is only dedicated servers for MTA... this isnt like Unreal Tournament or other games, where you run the server in game.

In your MTA folder there will be a server folder, just the server.exe in there and have your friends connect to you.

If you're on a LAN then have them connect to the IP of your machine on that lan, like I have 2 comps on LAN here, so if I have a server running, the other computer would connect to me on 192.168.0.1...

hope that clears some things up

So can I be running the server on my PC and have them connect to it and play on it and also play on it with them?

If that doesn't work, I have two PCs here. I guess I could setup the server on my dad's machine (and dmz his computer) and have my cousin (who isn't on LAN) connect to my our LAN IP (the dmz would foward my cousin to my dad's PC) and connect my PC to his local IP?

Hi Tanjo.

The first thing you mentioned:

So can I be running the server on my PC and have them connect to it and play on it and also play on it with them?

Will work. I do it all the time and have managed so far to have 10 players on my server. Hey I might even manage more. Who knows? However, this is with a Pentium IV, a 512kb/sec Broadband Connection and 512 RAM. I tried it previously with an 800Mz Celeron, 512kb/sec Broadband Connection and 256 RAM and ran into problems when only 4 of us played.

Just something to give some thought to.

Stewart.

If that doesn't work, I have two PCs here. I guess I could setup the server on my dad's machine (and dmz his computer) and have my cousin (who isn't on LAN) connect to my our LAN IP (the dmz would foward my cousin to my dad's PC) and connect my PC to his local IP?

Yes you can run the server on any "standart" pc . It does not have to be a dedicated one